Thread: LADIES Free from TV

Hybrid View

LADIES Free from TV

Comments.

Joe

Custom Title

Sasha

Sasha was absolutely exquisite, and even with the fall at the end, she was light years ahead of Mao as far as presentation, and it was NOT reflected in the score. Paul Wylie commented on that fact and said he didn't understand it (that she should have been 6 or 8? points higher than MAO in the PCS). She skated with more passion and added some new moves to the program. Paul Wylie said she was exquisite and he was absoultely right. It was simply one of the most beautiful skates I have ever seen. Shizuka was wonderful as well and skated the footwork section beautifully. Her speed was fabulous. Mao was the jumping bean of the night but I would have placed her after Sasha. Sasha's program was mature, elegant and difficult. The same can be said of Shizuka's. Mao had the jumps and a Bielman and that's it. Her PCS should have been much lower than Sasha's.

Down With It
    Umm, did they show Kimmie's program? Because I swear they cut it off! I only got Mao Asada and onwards (minus Rochette's scores) on my computer. But I don't see Kimmie...

Skating Freak Barbie
    I found it VERY amusing, with all the Kimmie hype and Kimmie fluff....they don't show Kimmie! Hehehe.

I thought Sasha was rather tentative, markedly slower looking than Arakawa, and a few scratchy and two-footed jump landings. It is another ironic amusement, how Wylie points out Arakawa's "lip", but blithely let's Sasha's egregious "flutz" go by unnoted.

And again, comparing Arakawa's spiral sequence to Sasha's, saying how much inferior it was....but Arakawa's sure had better speed and edging.

Asada's 3axel looked at least 1/4 cheated on the landing, but also pre-rotated...no commentary on that. Oh well.

I have to agree with Kyla (and Paul, LOL). The New Judging System stinks. Bad performances can still amass lots of points. Sasha was the only performer that held my interest at all.

If the purpose of the NJS was to make figure skating "more like other sports," congratulations, it has succeeded.

MM

In love with the axel!
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    Sasha was absolutely exquisite, and even with the fall at the end, she was light years ahead of Mao as far as presentation, and it was NOT reflected in the score. Paul Wylie commented on that fact and said he didn't understand it (that she should have been 6 or 8? points higher than MAO in the PCS). She skated with more passion and added some new moves to the program. Paul Wylie said she was exquisite and he was absoultely right. It was simply one of the most beautiful skates I have ever seen. Shizuka was wonderful as well and skated the footwork section beautifully. Her speed was fabulous. Mao was the jumping bean of the night but I would have placed her after Sasha. Sasha's program was mature, elegant and difficult. The same can be said of Shizuka's. Mao had the jumps and a Bielman and that's it. Her PCS should have been much lower than Sasha's.
    I was going hunh??? after seeing the skates. From the results, I figured Sasha had skated poorly. Now I do think that Mao was terrific, and that she definitely deserved the silver, but Sasha was so clearly head and shoulders above her -- even with Mao's 3axel. I wonder if the PCS scores wouldn't have been vastly different if Mao had skated after Sasha, because that would have very starkly shown the maturity differences.

Also, why didn't Mao get a deduction for the touch down on her last spin? AFAIK, if you have to put your hand(s) down to keep yourself from falling, it's considered a fall. Without that hand down on that spin, she would have been on her backside. Wouldn't have effected the outcome, but I wonder why she didn't get it.

You know what's the worst thing about the New Judging System? The spins. Everyone is going around really slow sticking out their arms in weird positions hoping that this will count as a "change of position" to get a higher level. A spin can be a pretty element and actually add something of artistic value to a program. Now...ptttt!

I hope Michelle retires and leaves figure skating to lie in the bed it has made for itself.
    Last edited by Mathman; 11-29-2005 at 12:23 AM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I hope Michelle retires...
    First time I've ever heard a Kwaniac say that

Michelle transcends the sport. It is time for her to spread her wings and leave Speedy and company behind, eating her ice chips!

Tripping on the Podium
    The "lip" comment was aimed at Sokolova, not Arakawa. Elena does a true lutz, and Paul just pointed out that she does the opposite of the ladies that flutz. She turns a flip into a lutz, instead of a lutz into a flip. Everyone knows about all the ladies who flutz. Why mention it again when it's been done to death? Sokolova's "lip" is something that had never been commented on before.

Also, got to agree. Sasha was exquisitely beautiful in the LP. She was clearly cheated on the PCS scores. They should have been in the 70's, IMO.
    Last edited by Eldredgefan2001; 11-29-2005 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    First time I've ever heard a Kwaniac say that
    MM - You've been taken out of context and very cleverly too.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    You know what's the worst thing about the New Judging System? The spins. Everyone is going around really slow sticking out their arms in weird positions hoping that this will count as a "change of position" to get a higher level. A spin can be a pretty element and actually add something of artistic value to a program. Now...ptttt!

I hope Michelle retires and leaves figure skating to lie in the bed it has made for itself.

I have always believed it wasn't the judging previously that was the problem...rather the judges.. but no one wanted to points fingers and ban judges for life... so instead of 'fixing' the problem, they created another one. case in point: sasha's finish at TEB. just a joke. sasha should have been so far ahead of the others in PCS that she ought to have won. exquisite... really was.. she wants it badly this season and i hope she can achieve her dreams.

Custom Title
    Outside of the fall at the end, I thought Sasha's LP was breathtaking.. She looked very strong to me.. What I don't understand is are her PCS scores?
    International have always given Sasha huge PCS scores. MAybe the are trying to tell her something? It's her first time out, so let's give her a message to go home, keep working and improve that program more..Then we will give you that silver medal in Torino.. I have to say that I have never really cared for Sasha's attitude, but she is such a marvelous skater.. No one has her posture and can hit positions like her..

Custom Title

gold for Sasha

Quote Originally Posted by gracefulswan
    I have always believed it wasn't the judging previously that was the problem...rather the judges.. but no one wanted to points fingers and ban judges for life... so instead of 'fixing' the problem, they created another one. case in point: sasha's finish at TEB. just a joke. sasha should have been so far ahead of the others in PCS that she ought to have won. exquisite... really was.. she wants it badly this season and i hope she can achieve her dreams.
    I agree with you completely! Of coarse the US thought it was above all that & that the judging problems were only international. Well, they were wrong. The US has really bad & unfair judges just like everybody else. They should have all been thrown out with 6.0.
    Now our skaters seem to be being punished for not competing in the COP before this season. Why did we keep 6.0 longer than anybody else & a year later than announced? To guarantee MK the record.