Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: LADIES Free from TV

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Actually Joe Inman came in the Forum a few years back and explained the concept of 'character of the music'. One doesn't have to tell the story of a written work. It is more about how the music is written, tempo, timing, fast, slow,
    loud, soft, etc. Of course, I like to see what the skater can do with that.

Joe
    I agree with you. Joe Inman also judges piano competitions. I don't expect a skater to tell the story in 4 mins. Music is more than tempo, timing, rthymn, harmony, melody etc (these are the ingredients of music that can be analyzed). There is also an emotional and spiritual side to msuic, the aspect of music that makes or breaks an opera, or to a lesser extend ballet. I seriously doubt when Inman was judging a piano competition, he just look at whether the soloist is following the tempo as written by the composer. Inman probably judges the depth of feeling a soloist expresses etc. Take the example of La Fleur, it is more than just a tempo, timing slow fast etc, Bizet put a lot of pathos and despair in this particular piece, I speculate a skater who is able to skate to the tempo and the pathos of this piece will receive more reward from a judge, and IMO when a skater is just using La Fleur as background to showboat her / his tricks then s/he is not interpreting the character of the music in depth.
    Last edited by gezando; 12-01-2005 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gezando
    I agree with you. Joe Inman also judges piano competitions. I don't expect a skater to tell the story in 4 mins. Music is more than tempo, timing, rthymn, harmony, melody etc (these are the ingredients of music that can be analyzed). There is also an emotional and spiritual side to msuic, the aspect of music that makes or breaks an opera, or to a lesser extend ballet. I seriously doubt when Inman was judging a piano competition, he just look at whether the soloist is following the tempo as written by the composer. Inman probably judges the depth of feeling a soloist expresses etc. Take the example of La Fleur, it is more than just a tempo, timing slow fast etc, Bizet put a lot of pathos and despair in this particular piece, I speculate a skater who is able to skate to the tempo and the pathos of this piece will receive more reward from a judge, and IMO when a skater is just using La Fleur as background to showboat her / his tricks then s/he is not interpreting the character of the music in depth.
    Thanks Gez - I'll save this for future reference when character of music comes up. It's more than a pose. It's heartfelt throughout while keeping with the nuances of the music.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreampixie
    Reading this thread makes me wonder if I was watching some other competition.

Shizuka is the only lady that IMO was robbed. Her strength, flow, speed, power and control was the best of anyone there. Her PCS should have been the highest.

Mao's PCS were fine. She covers the ice really well, has good edges, flow. The best thing about her skating is the breezy quality that she has. An ease of movement that is very pleasing. She meets every single requirement for high PCS marks, so her score is fair.

Sasha. I just don't get the "wuz robbed". She was slow, landed only one or two jumps solidly, her power and edges aren't at the level of Joannie or Shiz. Her PCS were generous. Having nice line and carriage is only one part of the equation. The choreo is much improved from Campbells, but nothing special. I've seen Sasha live at Nats and have come away completely unimpressed. TV does Sasha a lot of favors. I read enough live reports from TEB and almost all felt the result were fair.

BTW, Sasha and Shiz's spirals are designed to be L4, but they're not holding some of those positions long enough. In order for a spiral to count it needs to be held 3 seconds, if it's held for less it doesn't count at all. Sasha didn't hold her Charlotte, and the first part of the COE long enough. Shiz's fan spiral was also not held long enough.
    I felt that Shizuka's PCS scores were too low, if a case is being made for Sasha's (wrt Mao's). I loved watching Shizuka and Sasha's LP's (I will get to Mao later). Even with a major flaw in each, these were two mature, beautiful skaters. I love the security of Shizuka's edges and jumps. Sasha is weak in these. Sasha is more beautiful to watch- her extensions are breath taking, but that is not the only criterion for the PCS scores. I would have placed Shizuka higher. Her program was more sophisticated and she skated really well.

Mao is a delightful young skater- she reminded me of a young Kristi Yamaguchi. I hope we will see her for many more years and possibly as Olympic champion some day. In this competition I felt that even though she skated very well, she lacked the maturity and sophistication of Sasha and Shizuka. She does have great ice coverage though, so I am not sure that her PCS scores were totally wrong. I have not done a detailed analysis like RGirl, so it is hard for me to come up with an answer. If this was a 6.0 system, I would have placed her a bit lower. As Sasha said, the COP is a points game. Probably the 3A and the 3-3 in Asada's program carried her to higher overall marks.

Vash

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6