1994 Olympics - Pairs | Golden Skate

1994 Olympics - Pairs

Who do you think deserved the Gold medal in Lillehammer?

• Gordeyeva & Grinkov

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Mishkutenok & Dmitriev

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • Brasseur & Eisler

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I've noticed that many disagree with the final decision that gave G&G the Gold in Lillehammer. I know this is rehashing an old decision and nothing will come of it, but I do think it is interesting to see what people perferred and why. G&G gave an elegant performance with a few minor flaws, while the dramatic/dynamic M&D were technically perfect. B&E also gave a solid performance. Who do you think should have won the Gold medal in Lillehammer?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
This one would have been such a tough one to call had I been a judge. M&D gave a stunning and dramatic performance that was more than worthy of an Olympic Gold medal.....it was almost even better than their 1992 Olympic LP. But, I thought, even with the flaws, that G&G deserved the win. They had grown so much since Calgary and their last Worlds in 1990. You could almost feel the love and connection between them when they skated. I thought "Moonlight Sonata" was their best program ever. It was hauntingly beautiful. As for the judging: What was the USA and AUS watching? They gave M&D 3rd place in the LP! B&E gave a solid performance, but I thought they were no where near the caliber of the Russian teams (well, except for Shiskova & Naumov......who I never liked).

Vash01

Medalist
This was too close to call. M&D skated a great program, technically perfect and artistically great. G&G were artistically great but had a few bobbles technically. I would have given it to M&D if I were judging objectively. Apparently the judges did not feel that way. It was 8-1 decision in G&G's favor. It should have been a lot closer, like 5-4 in favor of either pair.

Vash

lulu

Final Flight
BronzeisGolden said:
. As for the judging: What was the USA and AUS watching? They gave M&D 3rd place in the LP! B&E gave a solid performance, but I thought they were no where near the caliber of the Russian teams (well, except for Shiskova & Naumov......who I never liked).

ITA with you about the USA and AUS judges that decision has always left me :banging: No disrespect to B&E of course, like you said, they were a solid team and they had a very good skate-but there is no way that their performance could compete with M&D's masterpiece.
I know this isn't part of the judging criteria, but Their Piano Concerto routine was really (almost) unlike anything done in pairs skating at that point-very advent-garde, emotional and almost somber at times. Perhaps it was a little bit too unconventional for some of the judges?
Because, as good as a skaters as B&E were-I can't really see any arguement for them overtaking M&D.

While if I were a judge, I would put M&D on top-I can certainly understand everyone who prefers the technical perfection & classical elegance of G&G.
ITA w/ Vash that the scores should have been much, much closer.

What I like most about Lillehammer is that we got to see two of the greatest pair teams of all time deliever two legendary programs. :bow:

dreams76

Spectator
I am a die-hard M&D fan so my vote goes to them. I remember watching their performance and thinking that it was so amazing. I almost forgot I was watching ice skating. It had such drama and intensity that I felt like I was watching a moving movie or something. Beside it being thoroughly entertaining, I thought there performance was laden with more difficult elements and they didn't make any mistakes. G&G's performance was great as well, but it didn't seem fresh and new. It seemed like all the other performances of the evening, just skated better and faster.

I wish there would have been an inquiry into this voting as well so that M&D could have shared the gold with G&G. Regardless, both G&G and M&D were the best pairs ever. I don't think there will ever be any like them again.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Ugh. That's a tough call. I give it to G&G, in a squeaker, strictly based on personal preference. That was kind of an odd Olympics for figure skating overall, too. (Ladies' was so very close, and the dance results were flat-out weird. OT, but where that's concerned I still think it should have been Usova/Zhulin, Torvill/Dean, and Grishuk/Platov instead.)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The top 4 teams all had amazing skates. I felt so sorry for Shishkova and Naumov, skating a performance that would have medaled at every other Olympics and won some other Olympics(not all, some)and coming 4th, it was so close for the bronze with Brasseur/Eisler though, 1 judge difference. I also felt sorry for Brasseur/Eisler, World Champions, skating just awesome performance but with the great reinstated pros they had almost no chance to win.

Vash01

Medalist
In 1994 I was happy that G&G won. I watched that competition again last night. M&D should have won a very close decision, IMO. Their marks were ridiculously low. I love G&G (and M&D) but they had a few flaws. M&D had a complete and perfect performance.

However, I would have preferred two gold medals in this case.

Vash

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I also felt sorry for all of Brasseur/Eisler, Shishkova/Naumov, and Meno/Sand. Brasseur/Eisler skated just as well as they won Worlds the previous year, but there were simply two great pairs returned to the ranks. Shishkova/Naumov lost bronze by only one judge to Brasseur/Eisler, a 5-4 split, despite the skate of their lives, it would have won a medal of some color in any other Olympics. I think the judges thought of giving them the bronze but were fearful with Lloyd's temper what he might do if he were not given a medal, as the reigning World Champion, with a flawless skate. :chorus: Meno/Sand also did a performance that could have given them a medal in other years, but were forgotten in fifth, not even in the final flight.

Vash01

Medalist
A hypothetical question: If G&G and M&D were not there, B&E would have been the highest ranked pair entering the 94 Olympics. Could they have handled the pressure of being the favorites? Would Shishkova-Naumov had skated better as underdogs to B&E (and in contention for a gold medal, rather than for a bronze)? Would Meno & Sand have skated the performance of their lives if they were in contention for a gold medal?

If history is any indicator, B&E collapsed under pressure at the 92 Olys. S&N rarely skated a clean LP (they did have a minor flaw on their second throw). M&S always crumbled under pressure later in their career.

What made G&G and M&D the champs was that they handled the pressure of being the top pair and/or the defending Olympic champions. They were really the cream of the crop in that very talented group of pairs.

Vash