Look at the Olympic Medals! | Golden Skate

Look at the Olympic Medals!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hey, maybe it's just me, but I kinda like them- they're different :laugh:

But I do agree with you though. They do look rather odd (that is, compared to the other ones) from that angle.

If you play the whole slideshow, there are two more photos of the medals (these are close-ups).

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
It looks like some sharpshooter decided to toss them each in the air and show off in front of his friends. :biggrin:

njtoddfan

Rinkside
When I saw the first 2 pics, I didn't really care for them, but looking at the 3rd pic, they're not that bad.

Antilles

Medalist
I'm not a big fan of the hole, but I do like them. I think they are much better than the Salt Lake City ones. Those ones weren't even perfectly round. I realize that's the look they were going for, but they just looked mis-shapen to me. I also thought the colour looked as though they had been spray painted with really cheap paint, particularly the gold ones.

I generally like fairly plain ones, such as Nagano. Lillehammer's were pretty cool, though. I think the worst were Albertville. They were almost entiely clear glass, with just a bit of metallic colour at the top.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
They are a bit odd. (And I kind of liked the crystal ones from Albertville!) But whatever they look like, if I were an athelete, I'd be out gunning for one.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I wouldn't have picked that design, myself. But I do like the contrast of the shiny and the dull on it. It almost looks like a giant coin. I also like writing on the shiny edging. :)

nicole_l

Final Flight
Eh I'm not going to be winning one anytime soon. :)
My favorite medals are US Nationals. Worlds are too small!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
They are different and not entirely unattractive, but I'm not sure if I like them. They do look entirely too much like doughnuts, washers, or Nintendo discs......the last Winter Olympic medals I really liked were from Nagano. But, as Nicole said, I won't be winning one anytime soon either. I also don't like that the World medals are so small. What is the reasoning behind this?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
They look like doughnuts to me. I hope the 2010 games to be held here in Vancouver, BC come up with something nicer. Oh yea, I forgot we did choose the Inookshook for our Olympic emblem! Heaven help us.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/en

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cborsky

Rinkside
I think they are beautifully simple, I love them! I think it's great that they're trying something a bit non-traditional. Also, the close up pictures really show the great detail and engraving around the edge. Stunning!:clap:

Spirit

On the Ice
I liked them a lot better when I saw the close-ups. From straight ahead, they looked bad.

Now I want to eat some doughnuts, dangit.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
They seem to be very EL CHEAPO but its the honor (the win) that counts & not the look of the chunk of metal hanging around one's neck.

Poor Michelle! She's waited all of these years to win Olympic Gold and now (if she wins) she'll be getting this ugly thing! Yet, it's the honor that counts.

Last edited:

equestrianguy

On the Ice
They look like lifesavers from a distance, but they are not too bad up close.. They are meant to be looked at with a birds eye view I suppose.. My favorite winter medals are the crystal ones....Albertville, right?