Compulsories | Golden Skate

Compulsories

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Thinking beyond NHK -

The Bulgarians may be huge crowd faves but I've noted a steady decline in the standings for them. Honestly, I can see a situation where they'll come in 5th or sixth at Olys...maybe 5th if Belbin/Agosto can't go to Turin. The Russians, French, Ukrainians & Canadians....and possibly Israelis...will all be marked ahead of the Bulgarians. Not even taking into account the return of the senior Italians (on home ice, no less!) & Lithuanians. It's going to be a dog-fight for spots 2 through 8.

Dubreuil and Lauzon are a very good team as is Denkova and Stavisky.

there were unconfirmed rumors that D&S are losing ground to ensure that N&K have the win but this is not easy to believe because B&A have come on quite strong to beat N&K. (Oh what an upset!)

The Russians, French, Ukrainians & Canadians....and possibly Israelis...will all be marked ahead of the Bulgarians. Not even taking into account the return of the senior Italians (on home ice, no less!) & Lithuanians. It's going to be a dog-fight for spots 2 through 8.

But has there been a meeting yet on who should be on the podium?:rofl:

Joe

Saundy

On the Ice
Not bad for D & L, considering they missed 5 days of practice, only had 15 minutes of practice before the competition, and Marie-France's skates only arrived at 1pm.

Skating Queen

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Looks close for gold and silver. Probably D&L and D&S in whatever order. But the bronze , a free for all? RUS, JPN, or CAN?

ATW27

On the Ice
Skating Queen said:
Looks close for gold and silver. Probably D&L and D&S in whatever order. But the bronze , a free for all? RUS, JPN, or CAN?

I do think gold and silver will be between D&L & D&S. As for Bronze, I really think that will be a fight between Khokhlova & Novitski and Lefebvre & Markov. I don't think Watanabe & Kido will be in the mix - if you look at their record at Trophee Bompard last month, they started off placing 4th in the complusory, but then dropped several places in both the OD and the Free to finish 8th. This sort of thing has happened to them in the past - remember, they were in 3rd after the compulsory at 4 Continents last year, and ended up 4th. They just seem to be one of those teams that are quite proficient in the complusory, but not so much in the other 2 phases.
Mind you, having said all that, I think it would be cool if they held there place, or moved up into the medals. And I could be wrong - considering that, after their performance and placing at Skate Canada, I was expecting Romanovskaya & Grachev to be contending for the bronze. And now they are in 8th. Oh well. They could still move up, but I am not sure they'll challenge for a medal now.

Andy W.

Last edited: