Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ABC World News Tonight

Champion Skater (Vicariously)

ABC World News Tonight

Will have a segment on Mao Asada and her inellgibility tonight.

Thanks for the heads up, Liz.

I wonder if the ISU is saying, oh, brother, we thought we had a good rule in place and now here comes the new Tara to make us look like meanies.

Or maybe they are just glad that figure skating is getting some pre-Olympic attention.

MM

I'll have to watch. Asada has a plug on ABC. If she gets the exception then Irina just may write letters.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    If she gets the exception then Irina just may write letters.

Custom Title
    They said Mao will not challenge the rules, but expressed that she is disppointed. Tara said " I can't imagine what is going in her head, oh my god I have to wait for 4 yrs"

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    I missed my own segment! Can someone summarize?

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    I had no interest in the segment. To me, the beauty of figure skating lies in the combination of athleticism and artistry. A young teen may have the athleticism, but not the mature artistry. If all I want to do is see triple axels over and over done by a 14 year old, I'll invest in a company that makes hip replacements, and start watching downhill ski racing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxgirl
    I had no interest in the segment. To me, the beauty of figure skating lies in the combination of athleticism and artistry. A young teen may have the athleticism, but not the mature artistry. If all I want to do is see triple axels over and over done by a 14 year old, I'll invest in a company that makes hip replacements, and start watching downhill ski racing.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxgirl
    I agree, too. That's why there should be an upper age limit for the Olympics, not a lower. No one over 16 can go. That way, the 14-year-old triple Axel gals can show off their jumps and have the thrill of a lifetime and win a gold medal.

Then the serious athlete-performers could start to refine their craft and develop a pro circuit free from the NJS, the ISU, the IOC, and all that. Maybe this would bring the fans back (in addition to saving the joints of the 17-25 year-olds in the sport).

MM

Down With It
    Who wants an Olympics full of little girls (and I mean LITTLE)? Who wants to turn the biggest FS competition into a junior comp?

Nobody. That's how figure skating can free itself of the Olympic stranglehold.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornliz
    Will have a segment on Mao Asada and her inellgibility tonight.

This makes a headline on our nationally broadcast news ?????

Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    This makes a headline on our nationally broadcast news ?????
    Slow news day, LOL.

Didn't Chevalier sing a song about Thanking Heaven for Little Girls?

My, my, when I was complaining about the little girls on the pagaent type skating of Tara and Oksana - nobody agreed, they just went on and on about how talented these tykes were. Now the tune is reversed, fans want to see more mature skating. And don't tell me Tara and Oksana were mature. they bubbled like Mao all through their sugar rush routines.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    My, my, when I was complaining about the little girls on the pagaent type skating of Tara and Oksana - nobody agreed, they just went on and on about how talented these tykes were. Now the tune is reversed, fans want to see more mature skating. And don't tell me Tara and Oksana were mature. they bubbled like Mao all through their sugar rush routines.

Joe
    Well, I listened. And now I also agree to bronxgirl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast