ABC World News Tonight | Golden Skate

ABC World News Tonight

Thanks for the heads up, Liz.

I wonder if the ISU is saying, oh, brother, we thought we had a good rule in place and now here comes the new Tara to make us look like meanies.

Or maybe they are just glad that figure skating is getting some pre-Olympic attention.

MM :)

I'll have to watch. Asada has a plug on ABC. If she gets the exception then Irina just may write letters.

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
They said Mao will not challenge the rules, but expressed that she is disppointed. Tara said " I can't imagine what is going in her head, oh my god I have to wait for 4 yrs"

bronxgirl

Medalist
I had no interest in the segment. To me, the beauty of figure skating lies in the combination of athleticism and artistry. A young teen may have the athleticism, but not the mature artistry. If all I want to do is see triple axels over and over done by a 14 year old, I'll invest in a company that makes hip replacements, and start watching downhill ski racing.

Saundy

On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
I had no interest in the segment. To me, the beauty of figure skating lies in the combination of athleticism and artistry. A young teen may have the athleticism, but not the mature artistry. If all I want to do is see triple axels over and over done by a 14 year old, I'll invest in a company that makes hip replacements, and start watching downhill ski racing.

Agreed.

bronxgirl said:
I agree, too. That's why there should be an upper age limit for the Olympics, not a lower. No one over 16 can go. That way, the 14-year-old triple Axel gals can show off their jumps and have the thrill of a lifetime and win a gold medal.

Then the serious athlete-performers could start to refine their craft and develop a pro circuit free from the NJS, the ISU, the IOC, and all that. Maybe this would bring the fans back (in addition to saving the joints of the 17-25 year-olds in the sport). :rock:

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Who wants an Olympics full of little girls (and I mean LITTLE)? Who wants to turn the biggest FS competition into a junior comp? :cool:

Didn't Chevalier sing a song about Thanking Heaven for Little Girls?

My, my, when I was complaining about the little girls on the pagaent type skating of Tara and Oksana - nobody agreed, they just went on and on about how talented these tykes were. Now the tune is reversed, fans want to see more mature skating. And don't tell me Tara and Oksana were mature. they bubbled like Mao all through their sugar rush routines.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
My, my, when I was complaining about the little girls on the pagaent type skating of Tara and Oksana - nobody agreed, they just went on and on about how talented these tykes were. Now the tune is reversed, fans want to see more mature skating. And don't tell me Tara and Oksana were mature. they bubbled like Mao all through their sugar rush routines.

Joe
Well, I listened. And now I also agree to bronxgirl

Joesitz said:
Didn't Chevalier sing a song about Thanking Heaven for Little Girls?
And not just Chevalier -- IIRC, Dick Button sang it on national TV. :laugh:

You're right again, Joe. What a shame the new rules won't let Mao go to Turino and out-Tara Tara, whupping the elegant artists and becoming the new YOUNGEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The juxtoposition of Baiul and Lipinsky just proved my point about a sugar rush.
Mao is in her right to skate like a prodigy.

BTW, Tara looked kind of 30ish. Anyone think differently?

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Depends on the skater and the day

If I had to choose a preference, young jumping beans versus mature complete skaters, I suppose I would choose the later...

but, honestly, it depends on the skater and the day.

Re Oksana and Nancy at the Olys: I preferred Oksana that day.
Re Tara and Michelle at the Olys: I preferred Michelle that day.
Re Mao and Sasha at TEB: I preferred Mao that day.

Re a skater's full career and lifetime achievement: I'm preferring Yuka who was a little jumping bean and grew into a mature complete skater.

Linny