New choreographer for Sasha? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

New choreographer for Sasha?

No Spoilers

As I was watching Cup of Russia Monday night--no spoilers--and saw G/P skating to cuts of PROKOFIEV's "Romeo & Juliet" score, with their coach, Nikolai MOROZOV at their side in the K&C, I thought, "So THAT'S what Morozov did with Prokofiev!" With his insistence that Cohen use Rota's "R&J" I kept thinking, "WTF? A Russian insisting that his skater use that dreck?" (Somebody's new favorite word, LOL.) But now the fix is revealed.

I forget who used the Edvin Marton "Variations on R & J," but that was certainly better than the cuts from Rota Sasha got. I understand she wanted to skate to a tango but was overruled either by Usova or Morozov or maybe both. (Oh, I'm so confused!) For once, Sasha should have stuck to her guns.

So far we may have at least three "Romeo and Juliet" programs, each using a different score, at the Os.

If I were Sasha, I'd sue, LOL.

Rgirl

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
I forget who used the Edvin Marton "Variations on R & J," but that was certainly better than the cuts from Rota Sasha got. I understand she wanted to skate to a tango but was overruled either by Usova or Morozov or maybe both. (Oh, I'm so confused!) For once, Sasha should have stuck to her guns.

Rgirl

I think that's T&M.

DG

Doggygirl said:
I think that's T&M. DG
Re using the Edvin Martone "Variations on Rota's Romeo & Juliet," yes, DG. Thank you. I managed to check the tape AFTER I posted to find out (really smart, Rgirl, LOL), but I just as easily couldn't have. So thanks again.

What do you think of Morozov and his Prokofiev "R&J" for Gregory/Petchukov and Rota's "R&J" for Sasha? I think he should have used the Prokofiev for Sasha, too. The score is about two and a half hours long, I think he could have found different cuts from G/P to suit Sasha. Plus it's not like skaters have never used the same music before.

Morozov also could have used the Tchaikovsky "R&J" for Sasha. I don't particularly like it but anything's better than Rota's. Maybe Morozov was thinking, "Olympics in Italy, use an Italian composer." OTOH, that approach worked for Paul Wylie in Albertville in '92, LOL.

And then maybe there's David Wilson. What will he do?

Comments?

Rgirl

Sasha's Edges

While rewatching the tape of various GPS events--no spoilers--I paid particular attention to the ladie's edges on the spiral sequence as well as overall.

In the SpStp, as someone already said, she has deep, solid FOE/FIE edges on her arabesque change edge spiral. When she goes into the BOE on her fan spiral into catch foot leg-to-head, it's barely there. Same thing with Shizza and others who do this move on a straight supporting leg.

However, the BOE on all the ladies, such as Irina and Miki, using the fan spiral then catch foot (or vice versa) is great when they bend the supporting leg, which makes perfect biomechanical sense and is much easier.

So what's a skater to do? Try to get a good BOE on the much more difficult straight supporting leg on the fan spiral/catch foot? Or bend the supporting knee in order to get an easy BOE on the same move? Or do the judges even care?

One thing for sure. If I were Sasha, I'd get rid of the Charlotte. We already know she can get her free leg way up there and she's not getting any real edge on the Charlotte. It's a useless semi--repetitive move.

Other edges I already blabbed about, ie, Sasha having weak stroking, we know, we know.

And that's my Armchair Quarterbacking for today. Comments?

Rgirl

Last edited: