Linda Fratianne Update | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Linda Fratianne Update

Lois

Rinkside
SkateFan4Life , I'm sorry that you took my question the wrong way--I've seen many of your posts, and know that you are a knowledgeable, longtime skating fan with an extensive collection of books and magazines, and I certainly have no doubt that you know what you're talking about with Lisa-Marie's quote. I was only trying to fill in a gap in my own knowledge, because, as you can see from this thread and others, the subject tends to get very heated and contentious, and I want to be able to back up anything I write in the future with sources, if necessary. I don't think I have the book that you mention, but, for instance, I have a friend with an enormous collection of skating and Olympic books, so if I had a title I could most likely ask her to xerox the relevant page for me. I know that we've read many of the same magazine articles from the past, but there's so much out there that isn't on the web, especially from the 1980s and earlier, and I certainly haven't read everything ever published on Lake Placid.

Anyway, no insult intended in any way, shape, or form, and my sympathy on your losses during moving--I know how that goes. I certainly respect your skating knowledge, and your skating collection!

Lois

S

SkateFan4Life

I think it would be very interesting if the "Ice Channel", when it gets underway, broadcasts a series on judging controversies or self-proclaimed judging controversies.

If such a series was broadcast, I would hope that the producers would contact Linda Fratianne and Frank Carroll to see if they would be interested in appearing on the program to air their view of the 1980 Winter Olympic women's figure skating competition.
Perhaps they would not want to appear on a live program, but if they did, perhaps there would be the opportunity for viewers to call in with their questions/comments on this subject. Even if the program was taped, it would be interesting. Naturally, in order to present a balanced view - or to attempt to do so - an effort would
need to be made to locate judges from the 1980 Olympics to give them the opportunity for rebuttal.

I'd like to hear what Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, and Robin Cousins have to say concerning the alleged "wheeling and dealing" that Carlo Fassi, their former coach, supposedly was engaged in at Lake Placid.

I'd also like to hear what Annet Poetszch's take is on the this situation. Surely she's heard the rumors, the allegations, etc.
Does she feel this diminishes her achievement of winning the gold medal?

:eek:

S

SkateFan4Life

Lois, I tried to remember the exact title of the book that contained
Lisa-Marie Allen's quotations concerning Linda Fratianne, but I just can't remember it. It was a special edition on the 1980 Winter Olympics, and it was produced (I think) by the United States Olympic Committee. I can't believe that book slipped away from me, but as I wrote, I've moved so many times that some pretty neat stuff has been lost along the way.

S

SkateFan4Life

I recall another "Blades on Ice" article on Linda Fratianne, printed several years ago that quotes Linda as stating that she had won both the short and the long program at the 1980 Winter Olympics.

As ALL of us know (!), Linda did win the short program, but she finished second in the long program to Denise Biellmann.

I wrote a letter to the BOI editor to refudiate Linda's statement, but the letter was never published. I suggested that the writer of the article should have checked her facts before submitting the article.

:eek: :eek: