Loving parents embarassing kids moments | Golden Skate

Loving parents embarassing kids moments

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
With much discussion about Mitchell's mom's campaign to stop Tanith from getting her citizenship, I thought it would be fun to start a thread about moments when you've been embarassed of your mom/dad. I'll start.

In general, my parents have been pretty good. Once though, I went with them to Spain. I was already 21, and have done quite a lot of international travelling on my own. On the way back, we were flying through JFK in NY, and the airline screwed up our tickets, so I had to take a different flight back to Boston from my parents. Next thing I knew, my mom was yelling at the airline worker - "But she cannot flight alone! She is just a little girl!!!" :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:laugh: :clap: good for your mom! :clap: :laugh:

Can I have an embarassing G'Parent moment? As I think I normally talk about what embarassing things my parents have done to me lol anyway a few years ago I went shopping with my g'pa for Christmas presents for I don't remember who. I was going through my "orange phase" where I wore a lot of orange (like prison suit orange lol) and we were in this story and this thug looking guy was walking around and he had a jacket on the same color as the orange shirt I just happened to be wearing. My G'Pa goes over to him, points to me and says "Your jacket is teh same color as my granddaughter's shirt, isn't that neat????" I was all waiting for this guy to blast us right there :laugh: it was embarassing lol

oh and g'ma hooking me up with any and every single guy is rather old now lol:laugh:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
My mother has always been very loving and incredibly supportive. She does so many things for me and my siblings because she cares......but sometimes she has gone a little far! I was the baby, and have always been treated accordingly. My mother got in this habit one winter of starting my car in the morning so that I would have heat and a defrosted windshield. I appreciated it, but I told her it was too much and that is wasn't necessary. Eventually, my older siblings found out, and to this day I cannot escape the, "Yeah, well, you are the golden child. Mom used to start your car in the dead of winter so that her baby could have heat." They love to tell this to anyone that will listen....AAARGH. It always embarrasses me.

LOL.....and on a somewhat unrelated note.....do any of you have relatives that give you very peculiar/random gifts? My Grandmother is the sweetest lady, but she makes such strange gift choices. One year, she gave me this enormous Audubon Society wall clock that made these horrendous bird call sounds for every hour. I had never showcased the slightest interest in birds or the Audubon Society, but I managed to suppress my laughter and convincingly accept the gift. The next year (I was 21 or 22), she gave me this lighted cardboard spinner game that would tell you either "He Loves You" or "He Loves You Not". I certainly appreciate the thought, but it has become sort of a tradition for us all......to see who gets the most random/strange gift from Mamaw at Christmas. My brother won last year (we all got money and clothes), but for some reason she gave him a giant brown bag of canned fruit cocktail. :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
My then-boyfriend joined Mom & I for dinner. He's of German descent. It was chicken and potatoes. My Mom said to him 'German people like potatoes' after he complimented her on her cooking. Fortunately, he thought it was funny!

I had a boyfriend in Kindergarten - I was really shy and he was the only one I would speak with in school. One day, he came to our house with his big brother who was selling stuff. (Now, I'm taking my Mom's word on this...) Apparently, I ran out the back door while he was there. I havent' a clue as to why, but my Mom likes to tell this story, too - that's the embarassing part.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
BronzeisGolden-I have a similar grandma. She likes to put her presents to people in boxes that have nothing to do with what is inside. She never fails to do this. Everyone always gets a good laugh. Especially, when she gives my cousins underwear in front of the whole family. :laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
My family loves to retell several embarrassing stories of my childhood.

Apparently, when I was a little girl, I was waiting for a plane and Carl Reiner, the director and Dad of Rob Reiner, came over to chat with me (I guess I was a cute little girl). I proceeded to tell him that I had new underwear and asked him if he wanted to SEE IT! Thankfully, he declined. :laugh:

Quite the precocious tot was I... apparently I was in the grocery store with my Mom and Aunt, and my Mom took a box of tampons off the shelf, and I yelled out, "Mommy, are those for your V------?" :biggrin:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
My older sister is handicapped, so my mom became accustomed to doing most everything for her. One day a few years ago (and I'm in my early 40's) my mom and I were out running errands and I had to stop at the local Social Security office for something. When my turn came, I walked up to the counter and pulled out my paperwork. Before I could even say hello to the CSR, my mom walked up and said, "She's my daughter, I can vouch for her!" I'm still proud that I managed to keep my tone polite when I replied, "Mom, I can represent myself just fine. Why don't you go sit down?"
I always suspected she couldn't tell which of her daughters was which...
xoxo
Rave