Michelle will be at Marshalls | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Michelle will be at Marshalls

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
You are such a smart & intuitive young woman...

... We complain all the time about Speedy & his co-horts killing the sport, but IMO, the USFSA is holding the gun...

On the first part I must make a correction. In truth I am a Dirty Old Lady. But I will keep the "smart & intuitive" part. :rofl: Many thanks!! ;)

The USFSA seems to stink at promoting their events! LOL on the last part about Speedy and the USFSA.

I wonder if we will ever see any statistics about the event?

DG

euterpe

Medalist
I disagree with whoever said this was a lose/lose for Sasha. It's a win/win for all the skaters! They get to perform exhibition numbers (no technical risk) and get paid big bucks. There is no shame in "losing" because it is a popularity contest.

At the usual cheesefests, they have to do competition programs against international competitors before ISU judges, and it isn't a good thing to lose to someone you'll be facing at Worlds. And you get paid big bucks only if you finish in the top 3!

Lighten up, folks! It's fun and frolic and there won't be any real losers.

Speaking of which, what about the men? Does anyone seriously believe Johnny Weir can beat Evan in popular voting?

soogar

Record Breaker
Why does everyone automatically assume that Michelle is going to win? With this format, there should (hopefully) be more casual viewers tuning in to participate in the voting (like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars). I don't think most mainstream viewers will vote for Michelle Kwan just because they know who she is. I think that a beautiful girl like Sasha or Alissa will have a huge advantage in a competition like this. Sasha's wow moves are extremely impressive and she's a great exhibition skater. Then there's Alissa and her amazing spins. Lucinda Ruh used to get standing ovations for her beautiful spins. Many average viewers really appreciate and love cool spins.

Hey Kwanford, this is one time you will can be glad you moved to Richmond. They are not going to show it live in Detroit! We have to stay up till 1:00 AM to see it on tape delay.

So that is the ultimate cheesy-cheese-cheese. I will have to call in my vote at 2:00 PM based on what I think I am going to see later that night!

MM :frown:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Hey Kwanford, this is one time you will can be glad you moved to Richmond. They are not going to show it live in Detroit! We have to stay up till 1:00 AM to see it on tape delay.

So that is the ultimate cheesy-cheese-cheese. I will have to call in my vote at 2:00 PM based on what I think I am going to see later that night!

DETROIT WUZROBBED!!!!!!!!!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

How stupid is this??? Detroit, despite rumors to the contrary, is a huge skating town... Maybe its the Red Wings, proximity to Canada, or the Detroit Figure Skating Club but with Chevy (aka GM out in Warren at the Tech Center) being such a huge supporter of both the USFSA & Kwan one would think that Detroit would accomidate the live coverage... or is there a funeral taking place to secure Mayor Kilpatrick's election? (MM, that mayor is the REAL reason why I'm glad I moved away...) :disapp:

Ok, I feel better now...

euterpe

Medalist
soogar said:
Why does everyone automatically assume that Michelle is going to win? With this format, there should (hopefully) be more casual viewers tuning in to participate in the voting (like American Idol and Dancing with the Stars). I don't think most mainstream viewers will vote for Michelle Kwan just because they know who she is. I think that a beautiful girl like Sasha or Alissa will have a huge advantage in a competition like this. Sasha's wow moves are extremely impressive and she's a great exhibition skater. Then there's Alissa and her amazing spins. Lucinda Ruh used to get standing ovations for her beautiful spins. Many average viewers really appreciate and love cool spins.

The main reason is that this program probably will go unnoticed by all but heavy duty skating fans, because there has been very little publicity or advertising for this event. Among those fans are lots and lots of Kwan fans who haven't been able to see their fave skate since last March. They will tune into this program in droves, and they will vote their heads off. Any time there have been online polls or voting including both Kwan and Cohen, Kwan has won by a huge margin.

Alissa is a lovely girl, but her home town area will not be getting this program live (California won't, either) and she is a relative unknown.

I think the whole idea of this event is pretty lame, but I will tune it to see it because I want to see for myself that Michelle is OK. And I will vote, but just once, online.

JOHIO2

Medalist
euterpr,

I'm with you that the format is pretty lame. But seeing the success of American Idol and Dancing with the Stars and other "reality" shows where the audience gets to vote, what do we expect from the USFSA and ABC?

That said, it won't stop me from watching and voting. It's fun, not world peace and whether there is a heaven and hell. :p

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Heh. I voted for "Dancing with the Stars: Rematch", and "So You Think You Can Dance." I have no reality-show dignity left. If I can find it and watch it, I'll probably try calling in.

JOHIO2

Medalist
julietvalcouer said:
Heh. I voted for "Dancing with the Stars: Rematch", and "So You Think You Can Dance." I have no reality-show dignity left. If I can find it and watch it, I'll probably try calling in.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

LizzieBeth

Rinkside
I'm just glad to see some live skating. I hope they will show every skater so we can see how these skaters are doing. Since Evan can't make it, I am really happy they replaced him with the fabulous Matt Savoie.

Yes, it is possible that Michelle will win no matter how everyone skates. But I am watching to see if someone really gives a great performance -- the kind that makes your spine tingle. You never know!!

CDMM1991

Medalist
LizzieBeth said:
I'm just glad to see some live skating. I hope they will show every skater so we can see how these skaters are doing. Since Evan can't make it, I am really happy they replaced him with the fabulous Matt Savoie.

Yes, it is possible that Michelle will win no matter how everyone skates. But I am watching to see if someone really gives a great performance -- the kind that makes your spine tingle. You never know!!

Yeah, they probably will show everybody, because you're voting on your favorite. I was thinking simultaneously, or after, I'd set up polls on GS with subjects: who did you vote for/who do you think should have won. I'll be damned if that's not Michelle either. It's just the nature of our sport. The girl has a lot of fans.

Kwanford Wife said:
How stupid is this??? Detroit, despite rumors to the contrary, is a huge skating town... Maybe its the Red Wings, proximity to Canada, or the Detroit Figure Skating Club but with Chevy (aka GM out in Warren at the Tech Center) being such a huge supporter of both the USFSA & Kwan one would think that Detroit would accomidate the live coverage... or is there a funeral taking place to secure Mayor Kilpatrick's election? (MM, that mayor is the REAL reason why I'm glad I moved away...) :disapp:

Ok, I feel better now...
I called the station. What happened was, for some reason the Lions are playing at night tomorrow instead of in the afternoon. So this knocked "Extreme Makeover" out of it's 8:00 slot.

Well, they couldn't disappoint the Extreme Makeover fans, so they moved that to the skating spot. After that, of course, is golf. And the whole thing pushed back Grey's Anatomy, so the only time left for figure skating was 1:00 AM!

But I will have the last laugh. If I lean out the window holding a coat hanger I can pick up channel 13 from Toledo! Heh heh.

MM :)

Yeah, the election was :sheesh: Freman Hendrix has been my friend and neighbor for 25 years. Oh well.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Assuming I remember :laugh: you can count on me to have videos of the skates from the competition. (Ladies, of course ;) )

I'm editing TEB videos as I type this :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
And if you're willing to download a new media player (and possibly wait a bit) I can post HIGH QUALITY videos as well.

(One will need a fast computer as well.)

Lanie

On the Ice
RD, if you upload vids, I will worship you. :rock: It's scheduled to air at 3pm here in the LA area but God knows they've changed skating to 10am (which is when church starts for me tomorrow morning!) so...

R.D.

Record Breaker
No promises on uploading vids right away- gonna be a busy one this week.

However, I will HAVE a vid on my computer - of course, given a) I remember and b) we get live coverage in Baltimore.

What I might do is over the holidays, compile a list of vids and upload them all. I've got Campbell's, SA, SC, COC, TEB, and COR freeskate (all ladies, as usual). I should get Marshalls and NHK tomorrow and Monday.

I did miss the COR short program, though. I think it's airing again on Christmas day, so I need to be sure to get that one.

When is the GPF on?

Last edited:

Lanie

On the Ice
December 25th (SPs) and 26th (LPs) for GPF on ESPN, RD. :) So looks like I'll spend a few hours of my Christmas watching skating, ha ha.