Article: Sale Interview about SLC, Touring, and Her Upcoming Wedding | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Article: Sale Interview about SLC, Touring, and Her Upcoming Wedding

kyla2

Final Flight
julietvalcouer

I completely disagree that B & S were robotic in their skating. We will have to disagree there. I think they were superior than S & P despite their mistakes. But I won't fight that battle again. It's over. But calling her "skate in the head" is outrageous, cruel etc. I am glad to see that you were quoting a comment in a book, even though it was better left in a book (the writer should be very proud of that; a real Shakespeare). I would hate to think you came up with such a mean spirited comment. Her abusive partnership was with a previous partner, not Anton who essentially rescued her from it.

soogar

Record Breaker
kyla2 said:
I completely disagree that B & S were robotic in their skating. We will have to disagree there. I think they were superior than S & P despite their mistakes. But I won't fight that battle again. It's over. But calling her "skate in the head" is outrageous, cruel etc. I am glad to see that you were quoting a comment in a book, even though it was better left in a book (the writer should be very proud of that; a real Shakespeare). I would hate to think you came up with such a mean spirited comment. Her abusive partnership was with a previous partner, not Anton who essentially rescued her from it.

Well several people in the media called Elena "skate in the head". Brennan had that in her book and said it was an affectionate nickname the media gave her b/c of her story and her name is so long.

C'mon people. That competition will be 4 years ago very soon. There was cheating among the judges. That's fact. Removing the cheating judge the score was split 2 to 2! That's fact. The two teams in question worked well together as Pros. That's fact. It's way past 'time to move on'. But if you choose to wallow in this mire, well.......

Joe

kyla2

Final Flight
Joe

I am not wallowing:) Didn't like the "skate in the head" comment. Elena could have died and she suffered a great deal as a result of that incident. The actual Olympics is over, and I agree, let's not argue about it.

Erica Lee

Rinkside
Let me get one fact straight here at least - the Silver medals were NOT changed into Gold ones. They did show a 'making of the new gold' fluff piece, but it was from scratch, not a conversion.

As for who should have won, who deserved to win, who was better, who was cheating, heck, whether or not the spectator in row F was picking their nose... we have all long ago made up our minds. I don't know why we insist of rehashing it all, when people who don't agree with us aren't even open to the possibilities. (And I'm talking about both sides of the argument here)

chania36

On the Ice
One thing I always thought of is when I remember the 94 olympics and G&G won gold and they also had two minor mistakes, and the other russians got a perfect skate and they won silver. So nothing happened there. no one complained, I think here the problem was because a judge did cheat and said that, so it started the whole thing, if a judge would not have done that, it would of been the end of it and jamie and davie would have been and stay silver medalist and it would of been discussed for years still about the results like very often when two top contenders are very close. I loved them both, it was a long shot, a difficult tie, but a judge cheated and that is the main thing... not the skaters. Both of these couples were deprive of a very special moment and this story will be with them for always, at each winter olympic games we will hear about it and for years.

We had to expect this with the upcoming olympics. Just wait and see, when the olympics will be here, it will be even worse, not that I want that, I would like to enjoy the olympics without again talking about this again. its been four years, we have to move on and be proud of what is coming and give the chance and the time of the day that the other athletes deserve that are getting ready very hard for the olympics. Good luck to all of them...

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Erica Lee said:
Let me get one fact straight here at least - the Silver medals were NOT changed into Gold ones. They did show a 'making of the new gold' fluff piece, but it was from scratch, not a conversion.

As for who should have won, who deserved to win, who was better, who was cheating, heck, whether or not the spectator in row F was picking their nose... we have all long ago made up our minds. I don't know why we insist of rehashing it all, when people who don't agree with us aren't even open to the possibilities. (And I'm talking about both sides of the argument here)

Becuase people will always argue about anything. It's a law of internet message boards in particular--it doesn't matter that no one will ever change anyone's mind about anything, and will remain convinced forever that they are right and the other person is wrong. It's a universal constant of the internet. People fight about EVERYTHING. Hey, at least it keeps the fighting virtual, where you can argue without worrying too much. I'm having lunch tomorrow with a friend and I know it's not safe to even bring up Sasha Cohen (we're both skaters, so skating WILL come up, until her husband can't take it any more and begs us to change the subject) because she can't STAND Sasha (as a skater, not a person) and I'm gradually coming around to, if not loving her, at least finding her more pleasant to watch. In person, that would just get ugly. On line, we can bicker to our heart's content. And about S/P versus B/S (yes, I know which partner clocked her in the head--that was the...Latvian? She was in Riga, wasn't she, and Moskvina and Sikharudlize (forgive spelling) had to smuggle her back to Russia? Again, if they want to make a movie about figure skating....) And about the 1994 ice dance results. Fans in all fandoms will argue about ANYTHING, FOREVER.

Jhar55

Medalist
The more I read on this it's sounding like someone trying to stir the pot only because the, Olympics are just around the corner. And they have nothing better to write about.

curious

Final Flight
julietvalcouer said:
Yes, I'm American. And I'm tired of the Russian robotic style in pairs. *You* may find it artistic, I find it utterly disconnected from the audience, which defeats the purpose of an artistic presentation. If this were just a tricks competition, fine. But giving them higher presentation marks? Absurd. B/S are not as bad as T/M, but they're not much better, either. I also didn't make up "Skate-in-the-Head" (check out the book "The Second Mark.") I'm not going to give her a pass on what I consider uninspired skating because she got kicked in the head by her ex-partner (or because she was apparently in an abusive relationship with said ex-partner.) That's unfortunate, Totmianina getting tossed down the ice is unfortunate, but feeling sorry for them doesn't mean proclaiming them magnificent artists when they're not, no matter how much sports reporters like a good underdog story. They strike me as wooden. YMMV. As far as I'm concerned, they weren't particularly great--no spark, no interest, no real artistry beyond precision. I don't watch either of those pairs and buy that they are emotionally involved in the least.

And again--the judges cheated. There is no quesiton about that. S/P *were* judged unfairly because it was already set that they would not win. They had a great deal to complain about, as do, frankly, a lot of ice dancers over the years (for the record I'm not including Torvill/Dean '94 in that--where I was sitting, Usova/Zhulin were the ones who should have won but that was a rare case where it really could have gone any which way.)

Yes,I know many people here are tired of the Russian's DOMINANCE in a sport they have DOMINATED for CENTURIES lol! To call B&S's one of the most ARTISTIC pairs of all time ROBOTIC is a JOKE:biggrin:

curious said:
Yes,I know many people here are tired of the Russian's DOMINANCE in a sport they have DOMINATED for CENTURIES lol! To call B&S's one of the most ARTISTIC pairs of all time ROBOTIC is a JOKE:biggrin:
And the beat goes on. Skating started in the Netherlands; ballet started in Italy; motion pictures started in France.
Is all this so important?

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

This is totally ridiculous, in my view. Duh - Sale and Pelletier originally won the silver medal at Salt Lake, then thanks to the huge bruhaha over the judging, they were awarded the gold medal. They even had a dual medal ceremony with B & S with both national anthems.

Why on earth would they want the silver? Do they honestly think they deserve two medals? Give me a break. Frankly, I've never been a fan of this team, and I think they were overrated for years in terms of artistry, but I'm not a judge, so my opinion doesn't carry any weight in these matters.

flutterby1145

Rinkside
Jamie sure wanted that gold medal in 02. Did anyone else notice she kept saying 'I' as if she skated alone that night as in "I had a gold-medal performance that night."? If I remeber correctly David Pellitier (sp?) was skating with her that night. To me, it seems a bit selfish for her to say that she wants THEIR silver medals back, after all that trouble the skating federations and Olympic Committees went through to get her and David those gold medals. You either want the gold medal or you don't. :unsure:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
curious said:

Funny, I didn't notice it was the 2060s already....

Check your facts, dear, the Russians weren't even a factor until the 1960s, and even then for the longest time it was ONLY in pairs. And they only got to be dominant in any sport because the Soviet system made machines out of their athletes. The Chinese are doing the same thing, except they noticed that people like skaters with personalities you can see.

Flailing one's arms and looking serious/constipated does not make one artistic. Watching an 'up-and-coming' Russian pair in the NHK short today, who haven't had time to get any real polish on what they're immitating, made that point fairly clear. (Not a spoiler, I'm not saying where they stand. In fact I can't remember exactly anyway.) The Russians better enjoy 2006 because the future is coming in pairs, and it's a red dragon.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
SkateFan4Life said:
This is totally ridiculous, in my view. Duh - Sale and Pelletier originally won the silver medal at Salt Lake, then thanks to the huge bruhaha over the judging, they were awarded the gold medal. They even had a dual medal ceremony with B & S with both national anthems.

Why on earth would they want the silver? Do they honestly think they deserve two medals? Give me a break. Frankly, I've never been a fan of this team, and I think they were overrated for years in terms of artistry, but I'm not a judge, so my opinion doesn't carry any weight in these matters.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. As I said they have won many competions or programs with a major error, or more, where Berezhnaya/Sikhardlidze have skated cleanly. That is rare for very evenly matched competitiors, but when that happens to them it is an overblown scandal. I also find their artistry overrated, their positions are not near as beautiful as Elena and Anton, and their flow over the ice is not as good. Their interpretation and on-ice character is very one-dimensional, romance is the only thing they pull off well, and it more forced and structured, than the more natural and fresh romance of say Gordeeva/Grinkov. Their throws are not as big as the Russians or Chinese, he side by side jumps are tiny which makes them poorly matched as well, and alot of times their choreography is basic compared to Berezhnaya/Sikharlidze or even the current programs of Shen/Zhou.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the only people who said they wanted both medals.. were people responding to this article on message boards...

Jamie said she felt more connected to her silver medal because it was hers. She earned it. the other one was given to her because of a scandal. She didn't necceserily earn it. She "inherited" it.

Don't go re-writing her words just because you don't like the outcome of a 4 year old competition.

Tonichelle said:
the only people who said they wanted both medals.. were people responding to this article on message boards...

Jamie said she felt more connected to her silver medal because it was hers. She earned it. the other one was given to her because of a scandal. She didn't necceserily earn it. She "inherited" it.

Don't go re-writing her words just because you don't like the outcome of a 4 year old competition.
Maybe people were just misinformed. After all, the title of the thread is, "Sale wants the SLC silver medal back."

If the information is wrong, can't the mods work with the person who started the thread to change the title, preferably early on before "forum rumors" get started?

In any case, GS mods :agree: :love: :agree:

Rgirl

Rgirl said:
Maybe people were just misinformed. After all, the title of the thread is, "Sale wants the SLC silver medal back."

If the information is wrong, can't the mods work with the person who started the thread to change the title, preferably early on before "forum rumors" get started?
That is a good idea, Rgirl. Human nature being what it is, there will always be more people who want to comment on an article than there are people who are willing actually to read it.

MM :)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Tonichelle said:

Oh please, if they didnt want the gold medal as well they would have stated so rather than saying how excited they were to be getting the 2nd gold medal at the time.