Is Sasha Cohen Too Thin? | Golden Skate

Is Sasha Cohen Too Thin?

WARNINGBefore I start this post, I must say, because I made this mistake myself once: Neither Sasha nor any of her spokespersons have made a statement that Sasha has any kind of eating disorder, so any use of the words "bulimia," "anorexia," or "eating disorder" should be and will be reported to a mod so they can be edited to something else. My suggestion would be "weight issues" as a safe way to discuss the topic without accusing Sasha of having anything wrong with her. Thanks!

I was rewatching my TEB tape the other day and though I've been saying since '03 that, IMO, Sasha is too thin, this time, being able to focus on her overall body and not technical problems, I became concerned that Sasha was really too thin. Looking at '04 and '05 Worlds compared to how Sasha looked during the '01/'02 season, when I thought her body was perfect (remember, TV adds 5-10 LB. to what a person really looks like). In '02 she was more muscularr and had what I considered to be an excellent balance of upper and lower body lean mass. Of course one has to do muscle testing in order to tell if a skater, or any athlete, needs to work on certain muscle groups that may have good mass, but not a good neuromuscular response for the specific task she needs those muscles for.

Also, it's been quite apparent to me that Sasha's spins have been significantly slower. Spins require the most strength and energy of any element to do well. In my experience, when a skater who has been getting thinner starts to lose the speed on her/his spins, particularly given what Sasha reports in her journal she eats in a typical day, all I can say is her weight isssues concern me.

Comments? Remember WARNING, thank you.

Rgirl

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Not to me. She looks just fine, weight-wise. Now her skating & lack of musical interpretation (IMO) are other matters. :agree:

diver chick

On the Ice
Bearing in mind that I haven't seen Sasha skate yet this year I am basing my opinions solely on what I have seen of her in the past and what photos I have seen of her recently. Also my personal opinions about what I think is too thin will colour my judgement.
I am not sure whether too thin would be my theory, however I think that she is a naturally tiny girl (I have seen her in real life and she is very petite) and that being an athlete she is also very much more toned than most girls her age and size. In my opinion she is too toned and I think the ultra toned look contributes to the perception of being very thin, so my opinion is that she could do with a little less definition in her muscles which would give her softer and more rounded lines.
In the recent article someone posted, Sasha stated that she is doing a lot of strength training and one would expect that this would affect her skating for the better and as I said I have not seen her skate yet this season so I am not sure if it has made a difference to her skating. You say that you think that her spins are slower this season and I wonder if this has anything to do with the loss of flexibility she spoke about. Maybe if she is still trying to do the same spins as she usually does, the lack of flexibility is causing her to struggle a bit more with them and thus slowing them down? How is the rest of her skating?

She is a very beautiful girl and I think that she is a girl who does look better with a bit of weight on - like most women actually, but then I don't like excessive muscle definition in women really.

bronxgirl

Medalist
As long as she doesn't pose for photos that make her liver and spleen stand out, she appears to be a bit on the thin side, but not unhealthfully so. But as noted, this is a judgement made by seeing her on TV and photos,. I have no idea what she looks to be in person.

Spirit

On the Ice
I don't know if Sasha's too thin, but I do know that when she was being coached by Tarasova, she fell into TT's fur coat and was lost for 3 days. But when rescue teams finally found her, she was fine.

Just sayin' what I heard.

emma

Record Breaker
I honestly don't know if she is too thin or not (OK, none of us do, but I mean I'm not sure what my opinion is). I did think she appeared thinner last year, and the same as last year this year. When she mentioned weight training, I was like: oh yeah, she's read Rgirl's posts...but truthfully, I don't see its benefits yet...also, the slow spins like Rgirl said, the slow skating overall, and general (relative) lack of stamina that i've seen over the years does make me question her training patterns (like, I wonder what they are, who designs them, with what goals etc). Whether the latter are also weight related issues resulting from intentional dieting, or 'natural' weight related issues (the 'naturally' thin thing), or what combination of elements, I simply couldn't say.

LBC

On the Ice
Maybe her spins are slower because they are level 3 and 4's and not level 2's?
When I watched her exhibition at TEB doing her regular spins she looked faster.
She is coming off a hip injury along with having a bad back. She also had an injury over the summer with her leg/knee. A beillman with her arthritic back is probably not easy. She's avoided doing it and back catchfoots for years. All her flex moves have been with her leg forward or to the side. Physically those spins could just be harder for her regardless of her weight.

I agree with Rgirl she looked better in 2001-2002 but she was 17 too. She may have grown an inch or so since then too. She gained weight last year from when she was with TT. Lots of people commented on how she looked better with a few more pounds on her. Couldn't jump worth a dam though. Could have felt she could jump better with less weight on her and do more strength training. She's thinner than she has been in the past which is why reg flags are going up. No idea if that is a eating disorder or her just wanting to be lighter for the jumps.

Vash01

Medalist
IMO it is her natural body type. Some people are just thin, no matter what they eat or don't eat. I think the thin frame works for her, just the way a different type body works for Irina, and worked for Midori. When Midori became too thin she could not skate well (96 worlds?). If Sasha builds more muscles or weight, she may lose some of the advantages in her skating.

JMHO.

Vash

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
NOT THIS TOPIC AGAIN :eek:

Ha ha! I feel I have to agree...

Sasha, yes looks small... especially if I compare her to me... but i don't think she's scary thin or anything.... she looked fine at nationals last year and I don't think I'll say anything different come January 06 :laugh:

Kathy

On the Ice
I have had these concerns since Campbells last year. If you remember she had a slow start and was probably heavier during the summer of 04 than she ever was and it showed at that competition. If fact "has Sasha gained weight" was the topic of conversations and everyone was saying she's matured and looks "better." By Nationals in January of 2005 she had lost it all and more. I've seen her in person many times and at 05 Nats she was stikingly thinner than she had been in years. If you compared pictures from 2003 and 2004 Nationals to 2005 it is really obvious and seeing her live those times it was very obvious. And from reports of skaters at her rink, pictures etc. she has continued to lose weight and is thinner now than at the beginning of the year. I think it shows in her skating. I think she is scary thin, and I as well as many others are concerned about her health.

euterpe

Medalist
She does look too thin to me. I can recall her skating in a exhibition costume last year where she actually had a wedgie. There's no danger of a wedgie now.

I have noticed that she is not only spinning more slowly, but the spins are traveling.

millie

Medalist
Is Sasha too thin!!! Compared to who, me, you or whoever! Personally, I think that's her body type. She is probably meant to be slim. There is a difference in being thin and unhealthy and thin and being healthy and fit. She probably eats healthy with all the training that she does, she probably works it off. Even if she wasn't training and skating, I think that she still would be a whisp of a little girl.:)

nymkfan51

Medalist
I definitely feel she looks too thin, but I have no idea about the technical part of weight balancing ... what would make her spins slower, etc.
According to her journal entries, she certainly likes to talk about food ... just appears she doesn't actually eat much of it.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
bronxgirl said:
As long as she doesn't pose for photos that make her liver and spleen stand out, she appears to be a bit on the thin side, but not unhealthfully so. But as noted, this is a judgement made by seeing her on TV and photos,. I have no idea what she looks to be in person.

That picture of her was so disturbing and looked so unnatural!

I've only seen Sasha this year in pictures - I think there was one from Capbells in particular that I saw and was immediately disturbed by. Sasha looks to have a naturally tiny body-type, but, at this point, I think she looks TOO thin. Of course, I have no idea whether or not she's got a problem, but she looks thinner than last year, IMO.

LBC

On the Ice
I've been looking at pictures of Sasha and she looked thinner in 2003 Nats than 2005 Nats. Looking at podium pictures mainly to do some comparisons in the same kind of poses. Jenny Kirk was thinner than Sasha. Here is a picture from 2005 COI when she and the other women aren't wearing much.
http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2005coi/adeff1.jpg

She doesn't look too thin there with some great abs.

She has lost weight since then. People think eating issues but there are other conditions that can cause weight loss as well. She may just want to be thinner for the jumps. Who knows. I guess we'll see her at Marshall's this weekend and people can comment more.

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
Sasha looked in better shape when she was touring with COI. Once she is back to prepare the competitions, she suddenly looks too thin. I guess she must have trained very hard. A few pounds lighter definitely make all the triple jumps easier.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
You want to talk thin....talk about Qing Pang

Poor Girl.......................looking like a stick-figure to the great buff Jian Tong

R.D.

Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
You want to talk thin....talk about Qing Pang

YES. And Svetlana Khorkina the gymnast. Now THAT is thin. I just have to :rofl: at people calling Sasha thin. Boy, y'all don't know what THIN is...:laugh: :cool:

Yes, I believe Cohen has slimmed down. But not to the point of no return.

Last edited: