Is Sasha Cohen Too Thin? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Sasha Cohen Too Thin?

R.D.

Record Breaker
millie said:
NEWS BULLETIN: Selfproclaimed DR. MILLIE says that Sasha is fine, no need to worry your little heads, just checked her out. She's fit as a fiddle. All you other Doctors misdiagonised her. She got a second opinion from me.

Dr. Red Dog concurs. :cool:

R.D.

Record Breaker

kyla2

Final Flight
Sasha

Ballerinas, figure skaters, and gymnasts may have problems with anorexia and or bullemia. It's a fact. But Sasha is simply small to begin with and fine boned. She looks o.k. to me and she is toned. Look at her arms. Pang is another story. She looks seriously underweight.

R.D.

Record Breaker
LBC said:

After looking at those extra pictures, I'm now thoroughly convinced that Cohen is fine. She has not changed (or changed very little) over the years. That's just the way her body is built. Seriously, if she followed you guys' advice and started gaining weight, that would be even worse. Even the slightest gain of weight on a body like hers is clearly noticeable. (And I'm sure there would be posters crying out, is she overweight? She needs to watch what she eats. :rolleye: Neverending, isn't it? But then again, it's Sasha we're talking about, so perhaps I shouldn't be totally shocked.)

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
IMO it is her natural body type. Some people are just thin, no matter what they eat or don't eat. I think the thin frame works for her, just the way a different type body works for Irina, and worked for Midori. When Midori became too thin she could not skate well (96 worlds?). If Sasha builds more muscles or weight, she may lose some of the advantages in her skating.

JMHO.

Vash

It's not really her natural bodytype. Sasha's weight appears to fluctuate and when she was coming off of injury, she was naturally rounder with curves. She diets strictly to achieve that physique. That said, she's doing triple jumps and a thinner frame leads to less stress on her body. There's no doubt that whatever pain she feel (her back or hip or whatever ails her) is significantly less when she weighs less. After the Olympics, she'll get back to her normal weight.

As for Khorkina: she definitely overdid it for the Olympics but she's fine now (she just gave birth!!). Bela Karolyi (the king of forcing his gymnasts to purge and starve) made the comment "Look at Svetana starving herself" to the media.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for Khorkina: she definitely overdid it for the Olympics but she's fine now (she just gave birth!!).

OMG. You're serious? I didn't think that was possible :laugh: anyway, congrats to her.

bronxgirl

Medalist
millie said:
NEWS BULLETIN: Selfproclaimed DR. MILLIE says that Sasha is fine, no need to worry your little heads, just checked her out. She's fit as a fiddle. All you other Doctors misdiagonised her. She got a second opinion from me.

As an MD PhD, I advise you to not take the problem of anorexia and bulemia in elite atheletes in such a flip manner. It has lead many young men and women (yes men too) down a dangerous path to sacrifice themselves for their sport or art. Melodramatic, but true.

And I'm not saying that Sasha does or does not have an eating problem. I don;t know her, and have only seen photographs, so they can be distorting.

Bowers

Rinkside
If she's healthy, she is not too thin! Many, many, many more Americans suffer the ravages of bad health over obesity than from starvation. There are several obese people in my tiny town who have undergone gastroplasty procedures to literally save their lives. In my books, obesity is the cruelest eating disorder of all. Back to Sasha....I don't believe she could continue a vigorous solo skating career at her present level if she were not reasonably healthy. Very strange that at the first cheesefest of the season, someone remarked about her looking heavier. She looks great to me!

The Sasha fans are out in droves. Defending; asserting, predicting. And they won't admit they are fans. hmmm That's ok.

The lady is a good skater and her weight is not affecting her competitive drive. Over and Out.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
The Sasha fans are out in droves. Defending; asserting, predicting. And they won't admit they are fans. hmmm That's ok.

What did you say? Sasha fans? On GS? Really? Could have fooled me. :laugh:

LBC

On the Ice
soogar said:
It's not really her natural bodytype. Sasha's weight appears to fluctuate and when she was coming off of injury, she was naturally rounder with curves. She diets strictly to achieve that physique. That said, she's doing triple jumps and a thinner frame leads to less stress on her body. There's no doubt that whatever pain she feel (her back or hip or whatever ails her) is significantly less when she weighs less. After the Olympics, she'll get back to her normal weight.

As for Khorkina: she definitely overdid it for the Olympics but she's fine now (she just gave birth!!). Bela Karolyi (the king of forcing his gymnasts to purge and starve) made the comment "Look at Svetana starving herself" to the media.

ITA about that Sasha diets to keep that physique she feels best for her jumping.
The studio shots at her site were taken in the summer of 2004 when she got "out" of shape when she wasn't training as much.

http://www.sashacohen.com/studioshots.shtml

I'm sure there is some air brushing going on but that is what she would look like more if she wouldn't train as hard.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Unfortunately I am not a doctor and I don't know. Maybe she herself doesn't know and is just training hard. I do think Sasha is a naturally thin young lady but I do agree she has looked thinner and thinner lately.

perry125

Rinkside
I thought she looked a little gaunt in the kiss and cry at TEB. But not like she has an eating disorder. More like what people look like when they've had a sleepless night or after catching a bad cold. I remember wondering if she was completely healthy or if it was her makeup.

JOHIO2

Medalist
LBC,

there is a difference between those studio pics and the action pics. She is relaxed in the studio. She is working hard in the action pics, just the definition you see in her neck and upper chest alone could be different under those circumstances.

Weird thing is, looking at those studio pics again, I never realized how much she can look like my daughter. I would probably not think that way when I see her usual pulled back hair, but the long hair hanging and blowing about her face really play up similarities I never noticed before.

Linny

Final Flight
having experts around

I'm not as certain as other posters that elite figure skaters have medical experts around them. Another elite figure skater got so out of spinal alignment that we could see it on TV! Also, considering the amount of time it takes to get tests done and see a doctor, I doubt they take the time out from their practice schedules. Linny

It would be nice if someone could come up with som facts of Sasha's health. Otherwise for me, this thread is reading like a gossip magazine based on speculation. She is skating well, and getting ready for Nationals. That's important.

Joe

millie

Medalist
bronxgirl said:
As an MD PhD, I advise you to not take the problem of anorexia and bulemia in elite atheletes in such a flip manner. It has lead many young men and women (yes men too) down a dangerous path to sacrifice themselves for their sport or art. Melodramatic, but true.

And I'm not saying that Sasha does or does not have an eating problem. I don;t know her, and have only seen photographs, so they can be distorting.

Bronxgirl, I was not being flippy about the subject of anorexia and bulemia. I know that these are serious diseases and a subject that should not be taken lightly. But what I was fliping about was the fact that people were diagnosing Sasha as if they were Doctors. It's also a serious matter for people to be even stating that she has this disease. Yes, Sasha may be thin, but being thin and being anorexic are two different things. I don't think that this subject should be discussed on a skating forum. When the poster started this thread, she advised that the word anorexia and bulemia should not be used in thread for this very reason. Me personally, I don't think its ethical for people to be labeling Sasha as being anorexic. Just my opinion. I know that this is only a discussion but people are walking on dangerous ground with this subject.:) :) :) :) :)