Is Sasha Cohen Too Thin? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Is Sasha Cohen Too Thin?

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I dunno. A lot of figure skaters stay tiny. Michelle Kwan didn't have any breasts at that age, either. I think they're just so active and fit that the female hormones stay at bay. It happens to a lot of female athletes. One of my roomies in college played national-level soccer and she was like that-just a waif and very little normal hormones. At the same time, she ate very, very normally. I would bet Sasha's build is more a combo of genetics and really pushing herself in an Olympic year. If she were anorexic, she'd have a hard time finding the energy to skate like she does.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
I went by the info in the Sports Illustrated article as well as photos taken within the last year of Michelle and Sasha standing next to each other. MK and SC have different proportions and MK may be 1/2 an inch taller than SC, but they're pretty much the same height.

Rgirl

But I met them in person. I wasn't just referring to photographs.

Michelle is a little bit taller. Not but tons but it's noticeable. I would say an inch or inch and a half.

Last edited:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
RubyNV said:
I am actually concerned, not about Sasha's extreme thinness, but about the lack of physical maturity. She keeps getting older each year, but the hormones just don't seem to be kicking in. I still am concerned that some gymnasts and figure skaters take something to delay the normal hormonal surges that cause full physical maturity to take place. She also looks extremely short.

I have several relatives who are shorter than Sasha and it's perfectly normal for them. My sister-in-law who is Puerto Rican stands 4'10 and I don't think she weighs more than 90 LBs. She's had two kids and she still has a girlish figure-no curves. My brother-in-law is also quite short. He stands 5'3 and is a South American Indian from Ecuador. Most of his family are quite 'short' by North American standards but it is perfectly normal for them. I think height also has something to do with culture. I believe Northern Europeans tend to be taller than most, especially Nordics, Asians and Latins, and Eastern Europeans tend to the shorter end I think.

I've seen Sasha, her mom, and her sister. They all have the same height with the same small-boned build. Not everyone is going to be buxom or have breasts. Some women are just plain flat chested with no hips. Like myself, my sisters, and my sister-in-law. We're certain no Amazons-I wish!

Last edited:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
ladysarahchatto said:
I have several relatives who are shorter than Sasha and it's perfectly normal for them. My sister-in-law who is Puerto Rican stands 4'10 and I don't think she weighs more than 90 LBs. She's had two kids and she still has a girlish figure-no curves. My brother-in-law is also quite short. He stands 5'3 and is a South American Indian from Ecuador. Most of his family are quite 'short' by North American standards but it is perfectly normal for them. I think height also has something to do with culture. I believe Northern Europeans tend to be taller than most, especially Nordics, Asians and Latins tend to the shorter end.

I've seen Sasha, her mom, and her sister. They all have the same height with the same small-boned build. Not everyone is going to be buxom or have breasts. Some women are just plain flat chested with no hips. Like myself, my sisters, and my sister-in-law. We're certain no Amazons-I wish!

Sk8n Mama said:
I dunno. A lot of figure skaters stay tiny. Michelle Kwan didn't have any breasts at that age, either. I think they're just so active and fit that the female hormones stay at bay. It happens to a lot of female athletes. One of my roomies in college played national-level soccer and she was like that-just a waif and very little normal hormones. At the same time, she ate very, very normally. I would bet Sasha's build is more a combo of genetics and really pushing herself in an Olympic year. If she were anorexic, she'd have a hard time finding the energy to skate like she does.

Kristi Yamaguchi still has a slim, petite build. Again, I think it's just genetics.

Fossi

Final Flight
There have been rink rumors that Sasha has an eating problem, and that TT left her because of it. TT doesn't back people that have "issues." These were rink rumors, so who knows?

millie

Medalist
Fossi said:
There have been rink rumors that Sasha has an eating problem, and that TT left her because of it. TT doesn't back people that have "issues." These were rink rumors, so who knows?

It was also rumored once that the earth was flat and the moon was made out of green cheese.

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
IMO it is her natural body type. Some people are just thin, no matter what they eat or don't eat. I think the thin frame works for her, just the way a different type body works for Irina, and worked for Midori. When Midori became too thin she could not skate well (96 worlds?). If Sasha builds more muscles or weight, she may lose some of the advantages in her skating.

JMHO.

Vash

I agree, Sahsa has a tiny frame -she is extremely petite. I am also about the same size (in height) and putting on 5 pounds people notice and start telling me that I gained weight -when you don't have height you have no-where to hide the fat. But also, fat comes off very easily for me if I am excersizing regularly - so Sasha working out and training constantly, her body fat % has got to be extremely low - not great if she is trying to conceive children,but fine for an athlete, she seems to have a lot of muscle tone and her face still has a healthy full look about it (no sunken cheeks there) so I think she looks perfectly healthy.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
In the interview at the gelato shoppe Katie Couric asked Sasha "Do you ever have to watch what you eat?" SC replied "Yea, I kind of have my arrangment, my pyramid, always big room for dessert."