After watching Ice Wars/World Team Challenge ... | Golden Skate

After watching Ice Wars/World Team Challenge ...

CDMM1991

Medalist
Give me a:

Simple Eldrege camel
A classic Kerrigan layback [WITH NO CHANGES OF POSITION]
A good old-fashioned Boitano death drop and scratch spin
Fast, albeit simple, classic Yagudin footwork
Simple, deep-edged skating

ANYDAY

Over:

A slow, convoluted dontknowwhaticouldcallit spin with a minimum of five pretzel positions
A spiral sequence with fourteen different unattractive crotch views
A slow footwork sequence full of tripping over one's own feet and twizzling in every which direction, to the point where one almost falls over.

Johar

Medalist
CDMM1991 said:
Give me a:

Simple Eldrege camel

ANYDAY

Over:

A slow, convoluted dontknowwhaticouldcallit spin with a minimum of five pretzel positions
A slow footwork sequence full of tripping over one's own feet and twizzling in every which direction, to the point where one almost falls over.

:clap:

mzheng

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
Give me a:

Simple Eldrege camel

ANYDAY

Over:

Then you are a soley made for pro audience in near future. :laugh:

To the original poster:
:clap: :agree: :rock:

I'm with you 100%!!!!

I am definitely more of a fan of the pro skaters!!! I hope the current eligibles will watch them and learn something, so when they take over the head roles in the SOI & COI shows, they'll be able to give us something nice to watch, and not a bunch of shakey, poorly executed triples and quads. A quad does not wow me near as much as a beautiful lay back or spiral or perfectly executed and landed double.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NJSk8Fan said:
To the original poster:
:clap: :agree: :rock:

I'm with you 100%!!!!

I am definitely more of a fan of the pro skaters!!! I hope the current eligibles will watch them and learn something, so when they take over the head roles in the SOI & COI shows, they'll be able to give us something nice to watch, and not a bunch of shakey, poorly executed triples and quads. A quad does not wow me near as much as a beautiful lay back or spiral or perfectly executed and landed double.

Amen! :rock: :clap: :agree:

What impressed me the most about performers like Kurt Browning, Brian Boitano and Yuka Sato -- their skating is all about the blade on the ice. I think that is the part of figure skating that is in danger of becoming extinct.

MM

sk8rpatty

Rinkside
Mathman said:
What impressed me the most about performers like Kurt Browning, Brian Boitano and Yuka Sato -- their skating is all about the blade on the ice. I think that is the part of figure skating that is in danger of becoming extinct.

MM

You are absolutely right! I really enjoyed watching this last night. My only regret is that I didn't record it. I could have watched some of these programs over and over again.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It is not the current crop of amateur skaters that are killing the sport, it is the rules. The current amateurs could give you some of those things as well, but they know they are not what will get the big points in competition.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Mathman said:

MM

Word. Wordy McWord of the Clan McWord in Wordytown, in fact.

I watched Ice Wars and was wowed by the edgework and clean, classic spins. Watching NHK the next day was just sad by comparison. I don't recall what poster said it, but "twenty spins in twenty seconds" sums up the current free skating and it's not all that much fun to watch. All current eligible male skaters should be forced to watch all four of the men's programs and all current women should be forced to watch at least Kerrigan, Sato (especially Sato) and Butyrskaya over and over again until they get it.

Okay, okay, and I loved it because Alexei Yagudin is still OMG SO HAWT. So I'm a normal twenty-seven year old female. Sue me. Come to that, Elvis ain't half bad, either.

anya_angie

Final Flight
CDMM1991 said:
Give me a:

Simple Eldrege camel

I'd rather have Alexander Abt's camels and namesake spin!
Or Kulik's beautiful line
Or Petrenko's edging

A classic Kerrigan layback [WITH NO CHANGES OF POSITION

I'd rather see Yuka's...

ANYDAY

No argument there!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, it doesn't get any better than Yuka's edge control. Says a lot about skaters who were brought up learning basic figures for competitions. Give me a clean edge over a triple-quadriple jump anytime................42