2005 Marshalls U.S. Figure Skating Challenge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2005 Marshalls U.S. Figure Skating Challenge

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I saw it in peson. First of all, let me say that attending an event that is broadcasted live is a pain because of all the unnatural interruptions due to commercial breaks. Plus, I had two chatter boxes right behind me who kept comparing all skaters to the great ones. :scowl:

For the men's first skate, Matt was incredible. I am a big Johnny fan, but he was totally off. Mike's tricks plain annoyed me - even if it's exhibition skating, it's still skating. While I wasn't crazy about Tim's program, he did display some good footwork. Overall, Matt should have gone on to the next round with either Johnny or Tim.

Among the ladies, Alissa looked better than Emily; her spins are quite impressive. Michelle's skate was just uninspired. Sasha, though, was terrific, her skate really eminating energy. I was disappointed that she got far more votes than Sasha did, the difference between their performances was significant.

For men's second skate, Johnny did skate very well, and had a deserved win.

Sasha's second skate was incredible! She really tore the roof off! Michelle's second skate was far better than her first. Normally I wouldn't like anyone skating to this song, but she is one of the few skaters whom this music suites very well. While her skate was still far inferior to Sasha's, it was a nice skate. It lacked the elements (jumps were not an elite skater's jumps), but sill had the "Michelle" energy.

One thing I'd like to add is that I truly hate this viewer voting. I hope they never use it again, though I'm sure they will.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I tuned into this with the reminder that I shouldn't take this too seriously, that I shouldn't be surprised to see big wheels o' cheese bounding across my screen. ;)

What struck me was the more relaxed atmosphere which surrounded many of the skaters. Of course, Kurt goofing around may have contributed to that - talk about a ham with cheese on top.;)
But whoo-hoo! to his Brickhouse program at the end! :rock
Even if he did stay in the mood for "cheese" in the event by doing that corny voiceover throughout the program.

There was a real gem in this event and that was Matt Savoie's program. If this was a competition I'd say he totally "wuzrobbed" but since it's not I'll just say that I'm glad I had the chance to see the young man skate so *beautifully* - that was truly a lovely moment. :love:
I've been :eek:hwell: about some of Peter C's remarks this season, but I totally agreed when he commented that was what he looked for in *skating*. I loved Peggy and Dick's remarks as well - that made up a bit for Matt not getting to the next round (as he should have).
I would have loved to have seen the other program - it was supposed to be jazz/scat music from what I heard. Maybe another time...

And I thought Michelle looked pretty good considering she only started jumping again a couple of weeks ago.
I thought Sasha looked very good in this competition - I think the more relaxed atmosphere and format suits her.

shine

Record Breaker
Gosh, never seen Matt so expressive and that program nearly made me cry. I so hope he goes to the Olympics and shows the world what he's capable of.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was very impressed by Weir, Weiss and Cohen. WOW, Sasha is a very versatile skater, two totally different programmes. I think that if SOI understands to grab her after the Olympics, it would be really great for the tour. I can imagine her being a true asset in ensemble skating, and such talents SOI needs to make the tour again into something it once was.

About Kwan´s short programme I would say, that the music needs a powerful skater and that Kwan is not even as healthy.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I can't wait till Michelle and Irina skate at the Olympics. Considering they have the same short program I hope they skate back to back

I just love the music "Totentanz" :)

lil lion 816 said:
I tuned into this with the reminder that I shouldn't take this too seriously, that I shouldn't be surprised to see big wheels o' cheese bounding across my screen.
Apparently many people tuned in an had a lot to say about it, so much that no one has commented on the TV showings of the results of the NHK.:scratch:

Joe

KwanKraze

Spectator
Random question-

Did anyone else think that Sasha's fall at the end of her program was unintentional? It looked like she just slipped then made it look intended. What did you guys think?

R.D.

Record Breaker
KwanKraze said:
Random question-

Did anyone else think that Sasha's fall at the end of her program was unintentional? It looked like she just slipped then made it look intended. What did you guys think?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. If you look in the Edge folder there's already a rather long discussion about this- in several threads, I might add.

Personally, I agree with you though.