Michelle | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Michelle

nymkfan51

Medalist
Kwanford Wife ... I do agree with you. I don't think an athlete like Michelle should quit just because she may make mistakes and not win. My only concern is for her health, and I can only trust that she will make the best decision for herself ... and whatever that may be, I will support 100%.

Everyone is different though ... we don't all have the same solutions to problems, even though we may all agree on what we want the outcome to be.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Anyway, Doggygirl and I thought "Sasha's usual Sashasplat" was uncalled for, but Mzheng thought it was just fine. There are reasons why certain Michelle fans will every once in a while get into it with someone who is a fan of both skaters. But that's another thread.

Rgirl
Since you mentioned my name here, I think I'll just respond. If you had ever read in other generic FS boards (I know Doggygirl does) you'd know 'Sashasplat'(TM) has often been used in several other generic boards (not the fan specific board) even by Sasha fans........ I've seen it often used at ISU, USFS and FSU boards and many even by 'uber' Sasha fans. Rarely I saw them (fans of both side) being picked on. For me it just a casual innocent enough comment.

You all know I'm a huge MK fan, but I also laugh at some 'humorus' made on MK even by supposed 'hater', which you'd assume ubbers will make jumps on......internet posting suppose to be fun and pressure release. It's not like court room lawers make all those literal picking on each other. Yes, did I just said pressure release? Hopefully the pressure does not get dumpped on posters's innocent comment. ;)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Since you mentioned my name here, I think I'll just respond. If you had ever read in other generic FS boards (I know Doggygirl does) you'd know 'Sashasplat'(TM) has often been used in several other generic boards (not the fan specific board) even by Sasha fans........ I've seen it often used at ISU, USFS and FSU boards and many even by 'uber' Sasha fans. Rarely I saw them (fans of both side) being picked on. For me it just a casual innocent enough comment.

You all know I'm a huge MK fan, but I also laugh at some 'humorus' made on MK even by supposed 'hater', which you'd assume ubbers will make jumps on......internet posting suppose to be fun and pressure release. It's not like court room lawers make all those literal picking on each other. Yes, did I just said pressure release? Hopefully the pressure does not get dumpped on posters's innocent comment. ;)

Sometimes context matters, in terms of the impression.

DG

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
There have been many posts about Cohen as a splashadora; having a splashfest; or just plain Splasha. You did not say anything original.
Joe

You are right the poster diddn't say anything original. IIRC, I first read a 'Splasha' nickname on Yahoo SakteFan group given by a very knowlegable fs fan couple of season ago.....Immediately was cheered for by an uber Sasha fan there....sometimes ppl do need some humore to post at FS board......:cool:

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for these "nicknames", there are two sides. It's like a sword: some people will be stuck by them (mainly the fans of said skater), and some people will laugh at it. Which end of the sword would one rather be on?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
You are right the poster diddn't say anything original. IIRC, I first read a 'Splasha' nickname on Yahoo SakteFan group given by a very knowlegable fs fan couple of season ago.....Immediately was cheered for by an uber Sasha fan there....sometimes ppl do need some humore to post at FS board......:cool:

You still haven't weighed in with a :laugh: on Kwanloopless! That would be a great way to prove you have the sense of humor you describe.

Actually, this is getting silly. I expressed an opinion that the reference to Sashasplat, in my OWN opinion was tasteless in this particular thread. That still is my opinion, with all due respect for differing opinions. I hope MK's recovery continues, and that she is able to carry out her Nats and Oly goals as the season progresses. And I hope that Alissa skates great at GPF, and all of the ladies skate great at Nats. That will make it very cool to watch! I hope Nats finds us all on the ends of our seats. (and biting our chocolate nails off).

DG

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Sometimes context matters, in terms of the impression.

DG
Then I have to say, you got your impressions wrong several times. Jumpped on poster too soon by your impressions and assumptions. IIRC I got jumpped on by you one or two seasons ago on another CoP disscussion thread, you quickly assuming I against the CoP since I'm a MK fan. But in reality I was among thoses posters who approves CoP concept when it first come out. Maybe it has something to do with your screen name?......:cool:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
Wow, this is better than All My Children...
:rofl:

Kwanford Wife said:
But don't think that yesterday's performances mean an end to "The Michelle Kwan Show" that is US Nationals... A lot can happen in a month
:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

cianni

On the Ice
WhatFun

Good read. I liked the format also it was fun. I didnt have any expectations and so I enjoyed the skating as skating. I can do without the tricks and as someone said I like the old fashioned beauty, grace and complete skating. I was so glad the causal fan who pays for the seats in the arenas got to tell the EXPERTS what they like in skating.These are the people who keep the sport alive and we get to see the comps and shows The two who won give the fans and causals fans what THEY want to see in the sport. I agree Peter is quite rude and seems to work hard to get skaters to say something against other skaters. He needs to go. I couldnt believe the curt way he cut Michelle and the look on his face was hateful. Whats that about. I hope Michelle is well and trained by Nats and if she isnt I think she will withdraw. This is a smart athlete. I wouldnt crown anyone the winner as anything can and usually does happen. I must admit I am weary of the Sasha is Jesus walking on water gushing. Could be the beginning of her becoming over confident if she thinks she has it in the bag. I like Emilys spunk. I dont think we know anything yet and the ice is slippery and the best can fall and some do. I hope they have more shows like this. The arena looked full. I was at SA and the arena was empty. That might be a clue.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
You are hardly original. There is alread a CantALoop!@FSU

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=714770#post714770

:laugh:

I wasn't trying to be original. I was asking you if you think it's funny, especially in the here and now in terms of Kwan's situation with this season.

If you believe I "jumped on you" one or two seasons ago and you disagreed with whatever I said, and you're not over it, then PM me. I have no clue what you are talking about.

And what in the SAM HILL are you talking about with regard to my screen name?

millie

Medalist
Some of you Kwanatics can give it but can't take it. The Kwanatics talk from both sides of their mouths-when it comes to another skater they are all there to jump on them and kick them when they are down and make smart remarks.BUT when it comes to their favourite, everybody has to be all sweet and sensetive and are not allowed constructive criticism when it comes to their favourite. Because a skater is not a favourite of a particular fan, does not give them to right to say nasty things about them. With some skaters, no matter how well they do, there is aways a put down, but with others no matter how bad they skate, there is always an excuse. If fans of one particular skater wants respect for their favouite same goes for the fans of the other skaters. It's a two way street.

This has nothing to do with Michelle.:) :) I hope that she makes a full recovery.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I wasn't trying to be original. I was asking you if you think it's funny, especially in the here and now in terms of Kwan's situation with this season.

If you believe I "jumped on you" one or two seasons ago and you disagreed with whatever I said, and you're not over it, then PM me. I have no clue what you are talking about.

And what in the SAM HILL are you talking about with regard to my screen name?

I don't think it is funny, because I'm a fan of her. But I certainly won't jump on ppl so quickly. Because 1) sadly as it is true she did not landed loop last season. 2) As you proclaimed yourself you are a non fan of any skater. Like you said "Sometimes context matters, in terms of the impression"......But to jump a rarely frequent poster, she/he diddn't even make obviouse posts history here?

That was first time you jumpped on me, we made it clear on that thread. But late on I took the mental notes......Thats why I still remember. I don't do PM..... I don't like be jumped on, and I'm tired of having to defend myself. If ppl I can get along with, I get along with. If I can't, there is big enough internet and skating boards to spend my limited time on.....

As for the comments of the screen name. I simply don't like dogs as they always jump on you if they don't know you...... ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
millie said:
Some of you Kwanatics can give it but can't take it. The Kwanatics talk from both sides of their mouths-when it comes to another skater they are all there to jump on them and kick them when they are down and make smart remarks.BUT when it comes to their favourite, everybody has to be all sweet and sensetive and are not allowed constructive criticism when it comes to their favourite. Because a skater is not a favourite of a particular fan, does not give them to right to say nasty things about them. With some skaters, no matter how well they do, there is aways a put down, but with others no matter how bad they skate, there is always an excuse. If fans of one particular skater wants respect for their favouite same goes for the fans of the other skaters. It's a two way street.

This has nothing to do with Michelle.:) :) I hope that she makes a full recovery.

:clap: :clap: :agree: :rock: :yes:

GS members, Ladies and Gentlemen. Let's tidy up this discourse regarding name calling. There's been plenty of name calling for the past 7 years or so that I have been in GS. It actually has simmered down in the past few years.

LooplessKwan was to an extent true but the writer probably was not aware of the hip injury MK has been dealing with since 2003.

Sashasplat or whatever, was somewhat true whenever we saw her skate we could count on at least one big fall. But the lady has improved tremendously in her consistency and to see one fall is, imo, a so what.

Both these names are in bad taste, and certainly reflect on the writer, but given the cirumastances and I do mean the Olympic jitters, the increase in personal attacks is well....understandable but I would prefer another word.

Let's just say, MK needs some work on her jumps to be ready in 5 weeks, and Sasha to check with Nicks on securing her landings. Both these ladies have an uphill battle with Irina who gets credit for all her jumps some of which are sometimes sketchy.

Joe

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I want to follow up on my post of yesterday but before that I want to respond to couple of other comments made in this thread.

Re: Peter C I think a horse is missing its behind. His was so worked up over being able to express his opinion that he couldn't contain himself. What a putz. Someone should tell him that his 15 seconds are up.

Re" "Sashasplat" it is one of many terms used to reference Sasha at FSU. When people write this they follow it with a trademark (T). There is also the Sashaspiral etc. I am used to reading this and therefore the comment did not seem as jarring to me as it did to others. Welcome Ollie.

Back to Michelle, I watched the tape of her SP and liked it better than first (live)viewing now that I am less emotional and more objective. It is CoP friendly and could rack up some big points on the tech side. She was a bit lethargic and did seem a bit thicker set than usual but perhaps the weight will drop, the strength and stamina increase and she will be back fighting full force. I hope so. I also hope, for the record, that Irina's health holds out. I find MZheng's comments in general about MKs progress to be heartening. Okay just one month from today.....

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I don't think it is funny, because I'm a fan of her. But I certainly won't jump on ppl so quickly. Because 1) sadly as it is true she did not landed loop last season. 2) As you proclaimed yourself you are a non fan of any skater. Like you said "Sometimes context matters, in terms of the impression"......But to jump a rarely frequent poster, she/he diddn't even make obviouse posts history here?

That was first time you jumpped on me. But late on I took the mental notes......Thats why I still remember. I don't do PM. If ppl I can get along with, I get along with. If I can't, there is big enough internet and skating boards to spend my limited time on.....

As for the comments of the screen name. I simply don't like dogs as they always jump on you if they don't know you...... ;)

I didn't think so, and that was my point.

As far as my screen name goes, thank you for the clarification. Just because I am an uber dog lover doesn't mean I expect everyone to like dogs. YMMV and it's all cool by me.

DG

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
millie said:

Millie ~ ITA... But don't put it all on Kwan Nation ...

We are all guilty of the same crime, whether you root for Kwan, Cohen, Slute or Joe Smoe's little sister...

Oh my, and it's only December... Do we have to start the gangland turf wars already? Before Christmas??

mzheng

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I didn't think so, and that was my point.

DG
Nop that's not your original point, as far as I understand. It's not funny dosn't mean its offesive or "it's uncalled for".......IMO.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
What do you people mean...."names"?

Sashasplat??? LOL....you all are upset about that? If I wanted to call Sasha or Michelle an actual name with the intent to "hurt their feelings" or yours, there are many other things that come to mind than Sashasplat or LooplessKwan LOL. I just won't say them on here. :)

I like Sasha and I like Michelle. I honestly don't care who wins nationals or the Olympics, as long as it is the person who skated the best on that night and earned it. I just don't see what all the hype is because someone called your favorite skaters Sashasplat and LooplessKwan. What, do you all think they're on here reading all of this? I highly doubt it, and one reason is because I doubt either of them cares what any of us has to say any way.

You all need to chill. Now, if someone was to refer to Sasha or Michelle by a term that would need to be bleeped out or symbolled(%^$#^....you get what I'm saying), then I would see a reason for your concern. But Sashasplat?? Come on....I doubt Sasha cares, so why do you?