Who should've won MARSHALL's...LADIES.??? | Golden Skate

Who should've won MARSHALL's...LADIES.???

Who should've won Marshall's...LADIES?

• SASHA

Votes: 52 72.2%
  • MICHELLE

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • EMILY

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • ALISSA

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

tripleflutz

On the Ice
The fan voting was kinda silly, just a popularity contest really.
I thought Dick & his crew had it right

What do you think?

Who should've won the Marshall's...LADIES competition?

tripleflutz

On the Ice
I voted for Sasha. She skated very well and deserved to win.
It looks like Michelle really was backed up a long way in her conditioning and training. With only a month to go for Nats things don't look good for her.

Emily had a solid skate, but I don't think she's in the same class as the others.

Alissa had a bad day, she will do better at GPF and Nats.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Well, if you're going on pure skating, of course Sasha should have won. We all knew this was going to be a popularity contest....:laugh: My area was locked out, so I couldn't vote anyway..........:cool: 42

R.D.

Record Breaker
Who won? MK. We all know that.

Who deserved to win? In all, I would say in terms of SKATING, Cohen was the best.

SC was clearly the best in the first round, IMO. However, had Alissa not fallen, it would have been a little more close between the two. I wasn't surprised MK was ahead by such a margin, though, and no one else should have been.

The second round- I thought this was a tough one, actually. From my point of view, you had Cohen who skated very well (but was kind of bleh), and MK, even though she struggled with the jumps throughout, I felt really sold the program. Of course, this is me watching the program on my 2.5" camcorder LCD screen, lol. It might have been different if I was watching in a theater or part of the audience.

I actually gave the nod to MK. Why?

Don't get me wrong, they were both good performances. I've seen Kwan skate better than that, and I've seen Cohen skate worse than that.

Here's how I do it:

Cohen: Good skate. I didn't get that feeling of emotion that a lot of other people (including the judges) seemed to feel. I just did not like it. BUT, she did hit all the jumps. I also thought that "ending" was rather jarring, and that took points away in my book.

Kwan: It's understandable that she would be working out some issues like jumps, etc. I think she got into her program more, though. I could feel some "warmth" in that performance.

Now, this is "tough" because I could have gone either way. As to who the better SKATER was, it was Cohen overall. As to whose program I enjoyed more, it was MK's. I gave the nod to MK to win THAT PARTICULAR ROUND. So much for objectivity. :laugh: But this is audience vote, right? I knew MK would win either way. My little vote wouldn't count :laugh:

Factoring in BOTH performances, though, I feel that Cohen probably should have won overall, since she skated better. But since these were EXHIBITIONS, I decided to go with the performance I ENJOYED the most, rather than the one that was skated the best. That's the way I saw it.

If the audience were judging competitive programs, then I would go with the one that was skated the best. (In the first round, SC did both, I feel- it was enjoyable AND she skated it well.)

My rather controversial 2 cents.

bruised

Rinkside
Definitely Sasha. She didn't fall on one jump and everything was great. She did fall on her last spin (realized...) but saved it. Well done Sasha! :clap:

tripleflutz

On the Ice
...This competition left me wondering what many people were watching. The way I saw it, Sasha had two very good skates, and Michelle had two very poor skates. I think a lot of people love Michelle so much that they see everything she does through rosecolored glasses and completely ignore reality.
... I've been a Michelle fan for many years, but I'm not going to delude myself, either about what happened at Marshall's or Michelle's chances at Nats. Yes, after what I saw the other day Michelle has a long way to go if she's going to medal at Nats. If she skates at Nats the way she did at Marshall's she'll be lucky to finish in the top ten.
... The injury has apparently cost her months of conditioning and training and I have to wonder if there's enough time left for her to make it up. She has four weeks left and she needs maybe ten or twelve. She didn't complete any clean triples at Marshall's, and that makes me think back to last years Worlds where she didn't complete a 3sal and had dropped the 3loop from her programs completely. Can she win a medal if she doubles, underroates, and two foots all her jumps at Nats. Unless she can loose some weight, improve her conditioning and get her jumps back in the next few weeks shes not going to be able to outskate the likes of Sasha, Kimmie, and Alissa with just courage alone at Nats.
...At Marshall's Michelle knew Sasha had skated far better, erspecially after standing there and listening to Dick and the crew gush over Sasha's skating. She knew how poorly she'd done better than anyone. It must have been a bit embarassing to hear the results of the so called "Judging" that she knew was really just a popularity contest. And it wasn't just Sasha, I thought Emily skated better in the first program, and with real judges, even with that fall Alissa would probably have scored better as well.
...Anyway, I just don't think theres enough time left for her to really get ready for Nats, especially since her said that the injury still hurts, just not as much as before. And is the hip going to heal and hurt less if she's training hard? I doubt it. I'm afraid she's risking her future by training hard while she's still injured. If she tries to push herself now, who knows, the pain might flare up again and force her to stop again, and if she doesn't push, can she be ready in a month? I'm hoping that she doesn't do much worse damage to her hip, that could have a lasting effect. I want to see her skate for the next 5 or 10 years in tours, shows, pro comps, whatever, and not lose her and have her wind up like Tara with a chronic hip injury that forces her out of skating for good.
...Whatever Michelle decides to do, I wish her all the luck

Last edited:

havanamesa1

Rinkside
This was a POPULARITY contest, not a skating competition; therefore, the most popular skater deserved to win. Duh.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
But it was billed as a skating competition, not the silly popularity contest that some silly fans turned it into.....Duh Yourself

Last edited:
According to the RULES the phone ins proclaimed MK as the winner. If you believe that Rules should not be broken then you must accept this decision.
Otherwise, you are a pro Mao at the Olympics type.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
According to the RULES the phone ins proclaimed MK as the winner. If you believe that Rules should not be broken then you must accept this decision.
Otherwise, you are a pro Mao at the Olympics type.

Joe

Joe. Do you seriously compare "rules" for a US based / USFSA based / ABC based Made For TV Event where THEY said, there are NO rules that apply other than program time restrictions, to international events? Governed by the IOC (citizenship+other), ISU (age+other), and USFSA (Oly Team designation+other)?

On a different thread, you asked for opinions about this format. IMO, it's silly, but that's just IMO.

GO MICHELLE for winning the popular vote in Ladies. GO SASHA for winning the AI type judge vote in Ladies. I think none of this has anything to do with the Oly's, and even less to do with the Mao situation.

My 2 cents only...

DG