Sasha's Wilson R&J | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha's Wilson R&J

jesslily

Final Flight
Therefore this CoP has some weaknesses. Showing flexibilty and extention is great to the total skating. But if the program has too many legs side bent, back bent, or front kick, it just make the program too distracting. Sasha's regular spiral is already spectacular, does dhe need to do a bielman spin position spiral? Does Irina's bielman spin position spiral get more points than Sasha's traditional spiral? I think they should not. If a position is ugly, no matter how hard it is, it should not get credit.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
Nah, just a nice big-screen TV :rofl:
52" wide plasma and HGTV ready??? :laugh: :laugh: I'll check my bank account.

Dee

euterpe

Medalist
The one thing that is lacking in Sasha's spiral sequence is ice coverage, and that's because her edging is so shallow. She has great positions, but not much speed during the spiral, and again, it's the lack of edging.

Kwan's skate was lacking in almost everything, but she did get fantastic ice coverage on her spiral sequence. Her edging is still "first rate".

Enero

On the Ice
Kwan at Nationals

Dee4707 said:
.........or is there.

Dee

Based on the performance we all saw yesterday, I don't think Kwan will show unless she thinks that she has a fighting chance at skating very well and perhaps winning. Hence my comment on if Kwan shows. A lot can happen in a month, and I think if she can pull together a two strong programs, she will beat Sasha. Especially if Sasha makes mistakes, which unfortunately is almost a given.

So true about Sasha's edging on her spiral. It looked a bit shaky too. If Irina is getting more points for her Bielmann spiral (no matter how ugly) than Sasha is getting for her regular spiral it could all be in the edging. Irina has wonderful edging and is steady in her spiral, as is Kwan. Though Sasha has wonderful extension she's not as steady and doesn't have the edging. Having the speed and deep edges adds difficulty to the spiral - I'm assuming, which equals more points.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
A different perspective re: Kwan / Nats

Of course this is just speculation on my part. Competition is all about strategy sometimes (or at least strategy is a factor, then "life" happens!). If I were in Michelle's shoes, I would have started out the season with goals of winning a 10th national title, medaling (hopefully Gold) at the Oly's.

The injury happens, so now a new strategy is called for.

At this stage, I doubt winning Nationals would be my highest priority. My entire training regimine would be all about being in top form for the Oly's. So while Nats is about a month away, I think we're over 2 months away from the Ladies events at Olys. So I suspect that is the slightly revised end game.

While a medical bye is a legitimate option, I'm guessing it's an option that Kwan and the USFSA would like to exercise only as a last resort (PR, etc.)

So as long as MK continues to make progress in training and healing, I would expect we will see her at Nats (I selfishly hope so!). If the SP does not go well, I think that would ONLY be due to lingering issues from the injury, so withdrawl / medical bye at that point is still a legitimate option. (When have we ever seen a reasonably healthy Kwan have a complete meltdown? - at least enough of a meltdown to end up off the podium in the field at US Nats?)

So...that's my hope and prediction, unless something else unexpected happens!

DG

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Sasha' R&J Program

I know the Marshall's version was an exhibition with borrowed music cuts from her LP (or vice versa), but the ending and flow and musical interpretation is vintage Sasha when she's on (2004 Dortmund Worlds SP), technically and artistically. Her spins (of course not as many as the LP version), footwork, and spirals were "bigger," spins were faster (although centering has always been an issue with Sasha and with most skaters, except Lambiel, under CoP) and more crisp, and she had the look of attack as opposed to the "frozen/fake" look we saw last season (which she sort of had at TEB last month). I believe Wilson has done wonders with Sasha's interpretation so far, but the jumps, the timing to music (so there's no rushing of jumps and panicking so as not to finish after the music) will be the bigger issues. As usual, her toe loop and salchow are solid, but I guess we have to wait until Nationals to see if her jump landings (two-footing of her 3 flip, flutzing, shaky 3 loop) will have improved.

georgia

On the Ice
euterpe said:
You can't draw any conclusions from what was skated at Marshall's about Sasha's R&J program. Wilson is known for adding intricacy to a program such as unusual entrances into tough jumps, and different types of jump sequences. We sure didn't see any of that at Marshall's. What we saw was a reworked exhibition program, that's all.
As far as i know the coach is the one who puts the jumps in. The choreographer makes room for the jumps. At list that's the way I know it.
although centering has always been an issue with Sasha and with most skaters,
If i remember well , the last two years has spins have been very well centered.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
I like both her R&J LPs include the exhibition....she is always eye pleasing to watch on ice, every thing is finished and polished....but I really just can't remember all details in her programs after the program finished.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I have a few questions on Sasha's R&J program... what was time length of the program and how much is lp vs. old exhibition?

Any help would be appreciated...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Here is a Video

Sasha's R&J Video

If you would like to see it again, haven't seen it, or whatever. (Someone requested it, so I just decided to post it here as well.)

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I hate the new R&J. But I also hated the old R&J, too. Her "expression" at the beginning makes me want to vomit, she is just so full of herself.

kyla2

Final Flight
Sasha

The post above mine makes me want to vomit. Now about Sasha. The music cuts were much better. Her opening was wonderful and I think the full program will be interesting to see Joe. He has done some real work with her and it shows in the emotional content. I think she has a chance, albeit a small one, against Irina.

rain

Record Breaker
Oooh, I can't wait to see this. I liked the old R&J fine - thought it had a lot of potential for Sasha - I've liked all of her programs to this music - she seems to really enjoy skating to it, which makes a difference - but I love Wilson's choreography and can only imagine some tweaking with him made it that much better.
I didn't catch this competition, and am rather glad now, as reading about the stupid judging-by-the-public idea makes me grind my teeth in annoyance just thinking about it, let alone seeing it in action. That's always been one of my beefs with the pro competitions - the lack of serious judging on actualy merits. I remember one particular competition where Scott Hamilton (I do love him, by the way) won with a program in which he barely skated. It was funny, yes (the theme was golfing), but it was not a great show of skating. But I'm wandering off the topic....
I really enjoy Cohen's skating and so really hope she gets her programs together to provide a solid challenge to Slutskaya. I have the feeling she's probably one of the only ones who can.

orchid

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
Of course this is just speculation on my part. Competition is all about strategy sometimes (or at least strategy is a factor, then "life" happens!). If I were in Michelle's shoes, I would have started out the season with goals of winning a 10th national title, medaling (hopefully Gold) at the Oly's.

The injury happens, so now a new strategy is called for.

At this stage, I doubt winning Nationals would be my highest priority. My entire training regimine would be all about being in top form for the Oly's. So while Nats is about a month away, I think we're over 2 months away from the Ladies events at Olys. So I suspect that is the slightly revised end game.

While a medical bye is a legitimate option, I'm guessing it's an option that Kwan and the USFSA would like to exercise only as a last resort (PR, etc.)

So as long as MK continues to make progress in training and healing, I would expect we will see her at Nats (I selfishly hope so!). If the SP does not go well, I think that would ONLY be due to lingering issues from the injury, so withdrawl / medical bye at that point is still a legitimate option. (When have we ever seen a reasonably healthy Kwan have a complete meltdown? - at least enough of a meltdown to end up off the podium in the field at US Nats?)

So...that's my hope and prediction, unless something else unexpected happens!

DG

I absolutely agree !!!

Now, should Michelle skate just enough to win a spot on the Nat. team. This may be the only opportunity Ms. Cohen will have to "win" the Nat Gold.

How will that sit? That Sasha "wins' gold because Michelle is injured.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
orchid said:
I absolutely agree !!!

Now, should Michelle skate just enough to win a spot on the Nat. team. This may be the only opportunity Ms. Cohen will have to "win" the Nat Gold.

How will that sit? That Sasha "wins' gold because Michelle is injured.

Hi Orchid. I'm not sure what you are saying. I was just offering an opinion from a hypothetical business POV (rather than a fan or specific skater POV). I'm not sure how to interpret your response, but I'm hoping you will elaborate.

Thanks!!

DG

If Sasha wins the U.S. Championship, she will be the U.S. Champion, period, regardless of anyone else's situation. I have no doubt she will be tickled pink if she accomplishes this goal, and she should be.

And don't forget Alissa.

But Alissa must, must, must bear down on those jumps. Unlike Sasha and Michelle, the judges will not cut her any slack if she does not skate her best.

JMO.

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can't emphasize enough the point of people jumping at Sasha being the US Champion. Just watch her lose this one (again)...

Hold the celebration parade, please...

I guarantee you MK isn't done yet.

Even if she is...SC is far from scoring the touchdown (i.e. bagging this one up). She could still fumble (i.e. fall, stumble, two-foot).