Should the Marshall's Event be Done Again? If Not, Why Not? (poll choices included) | Golden Skate

Should the Marshall's Event be Done Again? If Not, Why Not? (poll choices included)

Would you like another audience voting event?

• Yes! I'd love to see this event being done again!

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • No, I think it's a waste of the skaters' (and our) time.

Votes: 44 68.8%
  • I have no real opinion on this matter.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other (please specify in post)

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters

R.D.

Record Breaker
Should the Marshall's Event be Done Again? If Not, Why Not? (poll choices included)

Unscientific poll to see what members of this forum think of this kind of event.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I voted "yes" simply because I'll watch skating regardless of the format. Didn't like the "face-off" between the skaters and the "judges", though.....42

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Yes, but not with silly fan judging. Go back to regular judges, or even celebrity judges, anything but the fans who will always just make it a popularity contest. It would even be better to have no judging at all, just exhibition skating than fan judging.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You could have the audience vote on which performance they thought was the best but either not have the votes count or factor in a percentage (or example, 50%). The judging panel will count as the other 50%.

Personally, I think it was a great event. Different from the tried and true format. Sure there could be improvements (a lot of improvements), but I think these guys have the right idea. But I would NOT do it more than once a year.

Kasey

Medalist
No, because all it is is a popularity contest, name-recognition over the actual quality of the skating. Total waste of time. Call it "U.S. Exhibitions", and yeah, I'll watch it...but to call it a competition of any sort, just stupid.

I voted yes because I just like to see lots of skating on tv during the season.
The event needs to be "beefed up" a bit so it isn't just a popularity contest, tho....and definitely no audience judging!

I think an audience judging event would be fun, tho....but bill it as an event that is for the audience and fans to show who they like...and maybe throw in some pros with the eligibles for the event. Not call it a competition, but an event....I'm sure someone could come up with some catchy name for it.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Marshall's

Yes, So the skaters can make some money! The call in vote is rediculous though. I doubt Michelle wanted all that sympathy vote. How embaressing. sk8addict

Eliza

Rinkside
No. Audience judging is ridiculous. Audience judging is the only reason Weiss made the final & Savoie didn't. Savoie should have won the whole thing.

Marshall's should go back to the old format.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Upon some pondering....

I actually think this might be a great format for a pro event. Invite skaters whose names are all better known to the casual viewer (i.e. former Oly medalists). The audience would have even more fun voting amongst skaters who all have an established fan base, and names they recognize.

For the right paycheck, I would imagine an interesting field could be assembled. This would also be a great way for the USFSA and TV Land to continue capitalizing on names like Michelle, Sasha in the ladies, and to a lesser degree Tim Goebel and others in men's after they retire at whatever points they do that.

I did NOT like this event format for the skaters this time around - all still shooting for ISU and Oly spots. (I'm trying to remember the correct term - it used to be "amateur" years ago)

DG

I could easily cut this out of my life. However, if they made it into a show spectacle with international skaters doing their short programs, I would be interested.

Joe

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
No. It is tacky and stupid. The watered down crappy exhibition numbers are not going to bring in any new fans. Since it seems that the USFS is just desperately trying to bring in viewers, the competition needs to be dumbed down even worse than it was. Make it even lamer than American Idol, They could do strip skating.:rofl: For every jump popped or missed, the skater has to remove an article of clothing. Have a different prize structure. Six skaters. Top 2 skaters get big money. Next 2 get a nice engraved trophy. The 2 lowest scorers get spanked in the Kiss & Cry:laugh: That should improve ratings.

Kasey

Medalist
mmscfdcsu said:
They could do strip skating.:rofl: For every jump popped or missed, the skater has to remove an article of clothing. Have a different prize structure. Six skaters. Top 2 skaters get big money. Next 2 get a nice engraved trophy. The 2 lowest scorers get spanked in the Kiss & Cry:laugh: That should improve ratings.

Now, depending on who's involved, THIS I'd watch! :laugh:

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Kasey said:
Now, depending on who's involved, THIS I'd watch! :laugh:

LOL. If we would get back to putting the emphasis on skating, we would get viewers back. Other than major competitions, the only skating that the public sees are the tours that for the most part have skaters skating to putrid music and boring choreography, The recent Marshall's event was just more of the same. Yawn. Exhibitions used to be a time when skaters showed off some fun and creative moves that they were not allowed to do under the competitive rules. Now, it's just stroking around to children's music with the occasional triple toe thrown in. Why would anyone watch? There is nothing edgy or creative in much of today's skating.

Arsenette

On the Ice
Kasey said:
No, because all it is is a popularity contest, name-recognition over the actual quality of the skating. Total waste of time. Call it "U.S. Exhibitions", and yeah, I'll watch it...but to call it a competition of any sort, just stupid.

Well said - I said no for that exact reason.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Should Marshall's event be done again?

NO WAY. It is a big waste of time for skaters who are in training. This event should be held when the season is over.

diamond:love: :love:

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
diamondqueen said:
NO WAY. It is a big waste of time for skaters who are in training. This event should be held when the season is over.

I agree. It shouldn't have been held at that time of year and not again in an Olympic year. Definately at the end of the season:rock:

Some figure skating fans, imo, don't care whether there is a sport or not. They just want to see figure skating in any shape or form.

For the sportsminded. The Marshalls is a meaningless sport. It is just another exhibition. BTW, I think the same of Baseball's All Star Game. Meaningless except that the baseball fans can't vote.

Joe