Pairs Free from TV | Golden Skate

Pairs Free from TV

Vash01

Medalist
What a disappointment! This must have been the weakest pairs competition I have seen in a long time. All pairs had major mistakes. Earlier I had thought the Zhangs had really improved their unison, but not so this time. They made uncharacteristic mistakes (was she injured?). Savchenko & Szolkowy did some good things (spiral sequence in particular) but they were shaky on the jumps and one throw. When Wakamatsu & Fecteau won the bronze, I had to shake my head. That program had so many mistakes, they could be in the last (bottom) group at worlds. The Natalia spin was pathetic- nice flexibility but no spin. Mistakes on both throws, and most sbs jumps (I think they landed one clean). It tells me that Borzenkova & Chuvilaev must had a horrible free skate. Overall, just a weak competition. It was too much for me to sit through two of Vise & Cole's programs (nothing personal; they are a new pair and they deserve some time, but it was too much for me, may be because others skated poorly too).

Vash

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
It certainly was a splat-fest! Z&Z had health issues - apparently he's had a recurrent fever for a while now and it affects his strength and stamina. And it sure showed that night!
Rave

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Agree with all of the above.

Now here's a small catty thought that I must get off my chest. Not worth starting a brand-new thread about it but it's been buggin' me:

What the heck is going on with Alionka Savchenko's hair? :disapp: If that isn't the cheapest, trashiest 'look' on the ice, then I don't know what is. S/S's overall 'look' is semi-trashy (SP costumes, for ex.) but her hair absolutely needs fixin'. Anyone else agree?

There was a time when elite lady skaters tried to present themselves in neat, pulled-together manner. Or am I simply dating myself as a fan from the Peggy Fleming & Dorothy Hamill days? (ha-ha) :rock:

Zhand and Zhang seemed to have lost their zip. Probably due to that injury. Good team though but Pang and Tong are my favorites from China. the German team if they clean up the little booboos will definitely hit the podium- maybe gold?

Joe

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Zhand and Zhang seemed to have lost their zip. Probably due to that injury. Good team though but Pang and Tong are my favorites from Japan. the german team if they clean up the little booboos will definitely hit the podium- maybe gold?

Joe

Joe, Pang & Tong are from China (I think that's what you meant; an obvious typo). They had impressed me in 2002 but no longer so. She has done well in wearing longer skirts. They hide her very skinny legs (I am being nit picky). He is a very good skater but she is not quite at that level- it has been that way for a long time. They are medal contenders though.

The German team has a future but I don't see them winning the gold THIS year (2006).

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
Frau Muller said:
Agree with all of the above.

Now here's a small catty thought that I must get off my chest. Not worth starting a brand-new thread about it but it's been buggin' me:

What the heck is going on with Alionka Savchenko's hair? :disapp: If that isn't the cheapest, trashiest 'look' on the ice, then I don't know what is. S/S's overall 'look' is semi-trashy (SP costumes, for ex.) but her hair absolutely needs fixin'. Anyone else agree?

There was a time when elite lady skaters tried to present themselves in neat, pulled-together manner. Or am I simply dating myself as a fan from the Peggy Fleming & Dorothy Hamill days? (ha-ha) :rock:

I too noticed Aliona's hair- a bit exhibition type. In competitions skaters usually have a pony tail or a bun, unless they have very short hair (and Aliona had very short hair in 2002). It's not a big issue for me, but I am just curious to see how she will look on the ice if she tied her hair. I am surprised that even after jumps, throws and lifts her hair stays in place.

Vash