World title, Sarah Hughes? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

World title, Sarah Hughes?

J

Jaana

Re: World title, Sarah Hughes?

Well, that was based on the fact how little if anything the skating fans in Europe have gotten to see from pro skating world on different national TV´s even in these days... There has been lots of complaining on different forums. It was not just about Finland, LOL. Earlier in sixties, etc. when there was no Internet or friends in NA, things were much, much worse. And before VCR... That is why I used the expression that skaters stopped to exist as they turned pro in "old" times.

Marjaana

L

LAVENDER

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Michelle has stated over and over how she wants to be a legend. I don't think Sarah has ever stated such a thing (at least not to my knowledge). My impression is that she doesn't care. It seems that she feels she has more to contribute to society in other venues. She got what she wanted out of the sport--that's probably enough for her. [/quote]

Sarah did bring up being a legend right after the Olympics. I found it odd because I never thought that was her focus and yes there was talk of he copying Michelle. It’s an article where they were talking to both Robin and Sarah.

M

mathman444

GalcierSkater, :rollin: . It took me this long to get it. I kept looking back to see what post you were responding to. DUH!

Mathman

R

rain

Yes. I think she does need to win a lot more titles and have some REALLY memorable programs before she can be considered one of the all-time greats of the sport. At this point, she simply hasn't been around long enough to be in that elite group. As others have said, right now she's more in the Oksana Baiul, Tara Lipinski group that had one major success at a very young age and haven't really shone since. They are all good skaters, but not up there with the greats.

P

Pookie

I think Sarah had an very lucky night at the Olympics. She had nothing to lose and she gave it everything.
I think Sarah had potential to become a skating great but with college dividing her attention, I don't think it will happen.

She will be one of those skaters that had a special night.

O

Ogre Mage

Sarah Hughes

I think Sarah Hughes had the potential to be one of the all-time greats. I define "all-time great" as one who had sustained excellence over a significant period of time, i.e. more than one year/performance. Here is what could have been the "Cinderella" story for Sarah:

Sarah takes bronze in Salt Lake. Encouraged by that success, she rededicates herself to skating with a vengence. She cleans up her flutz, stops underrotating her jumps and continues to perform 3/3s with reasonable consistency. Carriage/posture never becomes her strong point, but it improves. Robin hires an outside choreographer which helps bring out Sarah's personality. She becomes known as the "solid as a rock" competitor who delivers the goods time after time. She wins several U.S. and world titles between 2003 and 2006, perhaps losing once or twice to her archrival Sasha Cohen (MK has retired). Sarah heads to Turino, gives a performance for the ages, wins the Olympic Gold and is forever enshrined in the hearts of skating fans everywhere as one of the all time greats.

Could this still happen? Sure, but it's very unlikely at this point. Sarah had the skate of her life and then, having won the biggest prize in skating, got distracted and lost her motivation. Her LP in Salt Lake was great, but that alone isn't enough to put her in the figure skating pantheon.

S

Skate Sandee

Re: Sarah Hughes

www.orlandosentinel.com/f...-headlines

Article from 7/26/03 about athletes who are here today, but seemingly gone tomorrow.

Sarah is mentioned as follows:

When people start whispering those thoughts, the criticism eventually seeps into one's consciousness. Soon, Berglas says, the star of the moment begins to wonder if his or her success was just a fluke.

Take ice skater Sarah Hughes. After beating favorite Michelle Kwan to win the gold medal at the 2002 Olympics, Hughes fell victim to the pressures of stardom.

In the months after the Olympics, Hughes starred in a television special, signed major endorsement deals and piled on the work. But at the World Figure Skating Championships this spring, she finished sixth -- and now isn't sure if she'll continue skating.

"We have terms for this -- the sophomore slump, the Sports Illustrated cover jinx," says Berglas. "When you realize that the public focus is now on you, it's detrimental to your performance."

It's actually unhealthy for most people, says Berglas, to reach the summit of their dreams.

"The old Avis motto, 'We're No. 2, so we try harder,' is an attitude most people should adopt," says Berglas. "That's the position you want to be in.

J

Joesitz

Re: Sarah Hughes

There has been much talk on this board and I am sure on many others regarding the question: <span style="color:red;font-family:verdana;font-size:large;">Does the Gold at Olympics signify the Best in the World?</span>

I'm not taking away from Sarah becaue imo, she was the best that night, but there are some who like to emphasize that MK never won an Oly. I think that would be nice for MK but I don't think it takes away from her talents.

Joe

mhu714

On the Ice
Sarah H.

First, let me say I have always liked Sarah, warts in her skating and all. My answer to the original question: IMO Sarah will be considered an Olympic legend for the way she skated that night at SLC and how she jumped from 4th to 1st. As an overall legend, for now I'd have to say no, mainly due to her career being overlapped by MK, who most assuredly IS. Who knows, she could fix her flutz, over-rotate less, win the next Olys, and then the answer would be different. I agree with those who have said they appreciate Sarah for being true to herself. She has always seemed more humble and down to Earth than many of her competitors, which I appreciate. Another quality I like about Sarah, that I believe characterizes her (this past season notwithstanding) is that she invariably stands up very well to the pressure of the moment, a quality that, coincidentally, often is associated with legendary athletes, in all sports.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Re: Re: World title, Sarah Hughes?

dlksk8fan said:
I don't think that Sarah Hughes will be considered one of the greats of figure skating. I think she will be remembered for having the skate of her life on just the right night.

I totally agree dlksk8fan!

lavender

Record Breaker
I don’t know yet if Sarah can consistently skate under pressure. I’ve said that Michelle and Sarah are the most consistent skaters out there but I might have to change that statement. I think both skate under different circumstances. Michelle always have expectations to skate great. Sarah hasn’t and when she does she holds back and her flaws stand out more. She’s consistent but could she skate under the pressure and expectation that Michelle has? She’s never really done that. Sure she’s had pressure at Nationals but she’s never had pressure at Worlds and she didn’t have it in her long program at the Olympics.