World title, Sarah Hughes? | Golden Skate

World title, Sarah Hughes?

E

Excidra2001

She has won the most prestiges title in figure skating but failed to win the other titles(National/GPF/Worlds). Do you think she needs a few World/National title to be considered as one of th great's of figure skating?

Or will Sarah be considered just another skater who competed for a little while and decided to ride the wave of success after winning one MAJOR title?

D

dlksk8fan

Re: World title, Sarah Hughes?

I don't think that Sarah Hughes will be considered one of the greats of figure skating. I think she will be remembered for having the skate of her life on just the right night.

N

nymkfan51

I doubt she will be considered one of the greats of the sport, but winning that OGM the way she did, pretty much means she will be remembered. Just how much really depends on whether she returns to skating in the future ... or have we seen the last of her? My personal guess is that she will do some show skating in the years to come, and that here in the U.S. she will always have decent name recognition.

E

eltamina

Sarah has 3 goals

1. win an olympic gold
2. 1600 in SAT
3. at least 6.0 in competition

She accomplished #1, we don't know about #2, and #3 may no longer be her goal. I think she has done very well.

S

sk8ing lady2001

I also think she has done very well. That makes me so proud of Sarah and her accomplishments! I have always loved her nice human nature, and great skating also! :)

J

Joesitz

The last three Ladies Oly Champs, in my opinion, were nothing more than cute children with a lot of luck on THAT night! Finally, little girls have found a sport just for themselves.

Joe

L

Lucy25

<strong>Or will Sarah be considered just another skater who competed for a little while and decided to ride the wave of success after winning one MAJOR title?</strong>
I think this is the case, but I don't know if it matters to her or not. I would think it WOULD bother her to be called a "fluke", even though her Olympic skate was fantastic. She may never escape this, but again, it may not bother her as much as it bothers her fans. I also think her "wave of success" is going to dry up. Out of site, out of mind. But again, she may have other priorities in her life. I can't really think of any other sport where the athlete quits competing after winning a major title. Even gymnasts stick around a while. To each their own, though.

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I think she will be remembered for having the skate of her life on just the right night. [/quote]

I agree

however I think there's still so much she can give for the sport

who knows... she could end up running the ISU or USFSA! :lol:

T

thvudragon

Well, she's accomplished goal 3, technically anyway. She did at that 2002 spring USFSA cheesefest, 2 i think. But I think she got them because of the Oly Gold. I don't think she has ever, and will ever deserve them.

I wonder if she can do #2, she has the brains.

TV

mzheng

Record Breaker

Unless she decide to take SAT again after she is accepted by Harvard. I don't think she accomplished goal #2. Otherwise we would've heard it all over the Web or by the media.

That said, I do think she has the brains. IMO, one day she'll be remembered as OGM, who skated her lifetime at Oly then go on to become a doctor. There are a lot OGMs but not many of them with a Doctor degree.

M

mathman444

Tenley Albright, MD

MZheng, only one that I know of:

Tenley Albright, MD.

"Whatever you do, if you do it the best you can, has a relation to whatever else you do. People have said to me, 'What connection does surgery have to figure skating?'"

In 1956, only months after winning an Olympic Gold Medal, Tenley Albright entered Harvard Medical School. Today she is a surgeon, pioneering new techniques for the detection and treatment of cancer. Dr. Albright is based in Boston and is a member of the Board of Regents of the National Library of Medicine. She is also a member of the U.S. Olympic Committee executive committee, the American College of Sports Medicine, the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sport, and the American Cancer Society's board of directors. She has also been inducted into the U.S. Figure Skating Association's Hall of Fame.

Albright believes the discipline and dedication she learned on the road to becoming a world champion figure skater helped prepare her for her career in medicine. As a skater, she won five consecutive national championships, and was the first American woman ever to win the world title.

www.achievement.org/autod.../alb0pro-1

H

heyang

Re: Tenley Albright, MD

Don't forget Oly Bronze Medallist Debi Thomas. She was actually attending Stamford for pre-med while competing.

As for Sarah, I don't think she'll be considered one of the greats - especially if she doesn't return to competitive skating. Although she's a National and World medallist, she was only 'present' for 4 years and won one gold title on the night of her life.

I don't think it made a lot of impression upon the general public. She had very little hype going into Oly's. MK was the fave and if you ask a non-skating fan who won Oly gold, several would respond MK. SO, I really doubt she'll be a huge note in history unless something changes.

B

BronzeisGolden02

I don't believe Sarah will be considered a legend of the sport up to this point. She wasn't (or hasn't been) around long enough to leave a mark that was/is wholly hers. Was SLC a night of brilliance always to be remembered? Yes. Sarah was phenonmenal. But, unlike Tara or Oksana there is no other title to solidify her place among the greats. Both Tara and Oksana had surprising and brilliant World wins to go along with Olympic triumph. Sadly, as Michelle might be the greatest to never win Olympic Gold, Sarah might be the only Olympic Champion never to win another major title. I'd hate to see that for both of them, though in the end I'm sure it doesn't really matter. I'm just thinking about after a few more Olympic Champions are crowned and the shine from that SLC Gold medal is dimmer, the memory of such a hard fought victory is less recalled...how Sarah will be remembered. Whatever happens I will always remember that performance and the joy and determination Sarah demonstrated. It is among my favorite Olympic free programs and probably will stay that way even after Vancouver 2010!

J

Jaana

>Joesitz
The last three Ladies Oly Champs, in my opinion, were nothing more than cute children with a lot of luck on THAT night! Finally, little girls have found a sport just for themselves.>

Well, generally speaking I believe that every Olympic winner in figure skating has not just lots of talent and determination, but also good luck behind them on THAT night.

About Oksana´s Olympic win I would say that Oksana was no surprise winner, e.g. for Europeans at least I would see her as the definete favourite for the win in Olympics. Also Tara, with her competitive record, was not a surprise winner in Olympics. She had had good nights before the Olympics already. The surprise in Nagano freeskate was Michelle. Before the Olympics there and also after the short programme she was the skater I hoped that would win the gold medal with a great skate. Afterwards I have thought that maybe the programme she had (it was of course a great choreography, etc.) was not under a huge Olympic pressure the best choice for a skater to express and to interpret? The Olympic pressure is much bigger than the one for Worlds, in my opinion.

Sarah was a surprise winner in SLC, at least to me, LOL. She had the skate of her life in that night in Olympics, and that is great for any athlete and something to feel very much proud of. How many other skaters were there in that Olympics who did the skate of their life? I mean surely in ladies competition there were lots of others also who had not the pressure of being seen as a favourite after the short programme? I mean those who were behind Sarah after the short programme and had nothing to lose.

What happens after the Olympics, is for every skater to decide. Different people have different values and different goals in life after they have reached something which they probably very much have seen as a huge dream as well as their personal goal in figure skating. Apparently some other matters are more important to Sarah in this moment than to win National titles and a World title. Besides, into the skating history she will always remain as the seventh US lady skater to win the Olympic gold medal in figure skating.

Marjaana

E

eltamina

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Well, she's accomplished goal 3, technically anyway. She did at that 2002 spring USFSA cheesefest[/quote]

Thanks, I totally forgot about the cheesefest

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I wonder if she can do #2, she has the brains[/quote]

She might have achieved #2, Sarah is a down to earth, unassuming young lady, she does not have the blow my own horn in your face kind of style.

L

LAVENDER

A place among the greats....I'm sorry but I'm surprised that there's even a question about this. She's not one of the 'Greats'. She did well on one night and yes her name will be listed under Olympic champion but that's it. This is not to say it's over. If she comes back and win Nat more than once and Worlds then I would say there's a big chance.

A better question is would the skating world list Tara amongst the greats? Tara has titles under her belt but she's taken a lot of criticism.

P

Pather2000

<em>One of the Greats, As of right now. NO

Lord knows, what she will decide to do in the future. But, if she returns to skating She needs Major Major improvments. Learn how to do a Lutz( All the US ladies need to learn that jump. Michelle not included in that one). Her Posture(sp,) is very bad, hence leading to almost off of her postions on ice are very bad. Her layback is great. Cheating on Jumps, ect... & True Maturity on the Ice. She looks like she is play acting. The fans can't feel her soul while she skates.

I feel that she may stick around for a few years But, Never really reach that Level of a Real Champion. With her starting school in all. That I belive will be her main focus. & GOOD FOR HER. I give her Major Props for Keeping School on the Top of her List. But, this also could keep her from doing more in her skating. This is College not high school. It is a whole new ball of wax.

What I think about her in the next few years with her skaitng. Her ship has sailed. She came to play when she had nothing to lose. While others let their nerves get the better of them. She & her team instead of building on her olmpic win by realing coming up with great programs & correcting her flaws, to reinforce her skating. They choose to do other things. Then, when it came time to skate. the Excuses started.( sorry, I still dont' belive the injury. It was an excuse for sarah to have time to get into shape & to Train for Nationals). Then, when all was said & done. Sarah & robin themselves admited pertty much what the fans have been saying all season when they did see her skate. Their main focus was not skating but cashing in( nothing wrong with that).

For me I see Sarah doing some shows But, her main focus will be school. & If sasha could ever get her nerves under wraps & stops making mistakes. Sarah could never beat sasha.

</em>

K

Kabooke

Hughes won't be one of the great's.
She's only won two senior competitions since her first appearance at 99' nationals.

As far as her future in skating. If she doesn't get into shape and fix her technique I don't ever see her winning a World Title and even though the national level judges aren't as harsh on her for it I don't see her winning a National Title either.

She seems happy.
She's been saying that no one can take away her Olympic Title, that's true.

Someone mentioned Lipinski, I don't consider her to be one of the great's despite her three major titles.

I think being considered one of the greats takes one of two things or both.
1.Numerous Major Titles and/or combined with
2.Something special about your skating and personality that appeals to a wide range of people.

Peggy-Won Olympic Gold: Remebered for her title and her balletic skating.

Hamill-Won Olympic Gold:Remembered for her title and bubbly personality and that hair cut.

Janet Lynn-Won Olympic Bronze:She is considered one of the best, if not the best skater's skater. She was the epitome of athleticism and grace. Despite never winning an Olympic or World Title, their was something special about her and her skating that appealed to a wide rang of people and they fell in love with her.

S

stilldizzy7

Kabooke,

I agree with you---

"I think being considered one of the greats takes one of two things or both.
1.Numerous Major Titles and/or combined with
2.Something special about your skating and personality that appeals to a wide range of people."

Of course, it's a matter of opinion whether or not a skater has a certain something that sets them apart from the rest. I don't feel either Tara or Sarah have that certain something, IMHO. I think of both skaters as having broke away from the pack on that one night. "The pack" being other elite skaters.

Tara does have a national and world title and does skate with spunk but up until a couple years ago still skated like a child. Again this is my opinion. Tara has not reached the level of maturity that Michelle possessed long before her 21st birthday. Even Sarah Hughes skates with more maturity than Tara. However, Tara has excellent posture.

Dizzy

S

supersk8

who cares if you guys don't see her as a "legend"? all that is important is that she is proud of her accomplishments and can move on to have a fulfilled life. she won the grandest of grand prizes in skating and has every reason to be proud. she worked just as hard as any of the other skaters you are mentioning. why tarnish her achievements?