Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: World title, Sarah Hughes?

LAVENDER

Re: World title, Sarah Hughes?

A place among the greats....I'm sorry but I'm surprised that there's even a question about this. She's not one of the 'Greats'. She did well on one night and yes her name will be listed under Olympic champion but that's it. This is not to say it's over. If she comes back and win Nat more than once and Worlds then I would say there's a big chance.

A better question is would the skating world list Tara amongst the greats? Tara has titles under her belt but she's taken a lot of criticism.

Pather2000

<em>One of the Greats, As of right now. NO

Lord knows, what she will decide to do in the future. But, if she returns to skating She needs Major Major improvments. Learn how to do a Lutz( All the US ladies need to learn that jump. Michelle not included in that one). Her Posture(sp,) is very bad, hence leading to almost off of her postions on ice are very bad. Her layback is great. Cheating on Jumps, ect... & True Maturity on the Ice. She looks like she is play acting. The fans can't feel her soul while she skates.

I feel that she may stick around for a few years But, Never really reach that Level of a Real Champion. With her starting school in all. That I belive will be her main focus. & GOOD FOR HER. I give her Major Props for Keeping School on the Top of her List. But, this also could keep her from doing more in her skating. This is College not high school. It is a whole new ball of wax.

What I think about her in the next few years with her skaitng. Her ship has sailed. She came to play when she had nothing to lose. While others let their nerves get the better of them. She & her team instead of building on her olmpic win by realing coming up with great programs & correcting her flaws, to reinforce her skating. They choose to do other things. Then, when it came time to skate. the Excuses started.( sorry, I still dont' belive the injury. It was an excuse for sarah to have time to get into shape & to Train for Nationals). Then, when all was said & done. Sarah & robin themselves admited pertty much what the fans have been saying all season when they did see her skate. Their main focus was not skating but cashing in( nothing wrong with that).

For me I see Sarah doing some shows But, her main focus will be school. & If sasha could ever get her nerves under wraps & stops making mistakes. Sarah could never beat sasha.

</em>

Kabooke

Hughes won't be one of the great's.
    She's only won two senior competitions since her first appearance at 99' nationals.

As far as her future in skating. If she doesn't get into shape and fix her technique I don't ever see her winning a World Title and even though the national level judges aren't as harsh on her for it I don't see her winning a National Title either.

She seems happy.
    She's been saying that no one can take away her Olympic Title, that's true.

Someone mentioned Lipinski, I don't consider her to be one of the great's despite her three major titles.

I think being considered one of the greats takes one of two things or both.
    1.Numerous Major Titles and/or combined with
    2.Something special about your skating and personality that appeals to a wide range of people.

Peggy-Won Olympic Gold: Remebered for her title and her balletic skating.

Hamill-Won Olympic Gold:Remembered for her title and bubbly personality and that hair cut.

Janet Lynn-Won Olympic Bronze:She is considered one of the best, if not the best skater's skater. She was the epitome of athleticism and grace. Despite never winning an Olympic or World Title, their was something special about her and her skating that appealed to a wide rang of people and they fell in love with her.

stilldizzy7

World title, Sarah Hughes?

Kabooke,

I agree with you---

"I think being considered one of the greats takes one of two things or both.
    1.Numerous Major Titles and/or combined with
    2.Something special about your skating and personality that appeals to a wide range of people."

Of course, it's a matter of opinion whether or not a skater has a certain something that sets them apart from the rest. I don't feel either Tara or Sarah have that certain something, IMHO. I think of both skaters as having broke away from the pack on that one night. "The pack" being other elite skaters.

Tara does have a national and world title and does skate with spunk but up until a couple years ago still skated like a child. Again this is my opinion. Tara has not reached the level of maturity that Michelle possessed long before her 21st birthday. Even Sarah Hughes skates with more maturity than Tara. However, Tara has excellent posture.

Dizzy

supersk8

who cares if you guys don't see her as a "legend"? all that is important is that she is proud of her accomplishments and can move on to have a fulfilled life. she won the grandest of grand prizes in skating and has every reason to be proud. she worked just as hard as any of the other skaters you are mentioning. why tarnish her achievements?

Excidra2001

This thread was not started to tarnish Sarah's achievements but rather I wanted to know if people would consider her as one of the great's of the sport, considering most females who won the Olympic gold went down in figure skating history as one of the greatest.

I personally think Tara should go down as one of the great's of the sport. She was technically one of the few ladies to push the sport and at the same time she had the nice presention(little woman) to go along with it. Plus Tara is a former world/national/GPF/Olympic champ. She has won almost every title in figure skating in a short time. In the short time she was competing in the eligible ranks, she shook things up in the skating world and gave Kwan(the best at time) a run for her money. Back then, I would say a clean Tara would be hard to beat even by Kwan.

Bleuchick

Regarding SH

for me, she accomplished the unthinkable - coming from behind and wining the gold medal. It is a pity that we never got to see the same success last year. Hopefully one day. If not, she still did well in the year 2002.:D

Now, I have two questions:

If a skater becomes a legend after wining the gold medal then how come some fans thinks Sarah is not a legend.

If a skater becomes a legend after wining many worlds titles then why are Sarah's competitors, most of whom have won many worlds title still aiming for the OGM in 2006?

tharrtell

Re: Regarding SH

Only one of Sarah's competitors has won multiple World's titles.

SkateFan4Life

If Sarah Hughes never competes again, she will surely be remembered as the quintessential example of seizing the moment and skating the performance of your life when it counts the most. As a footnote, it will have to be remembered that she was the benficiary of less than stellar skating from Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen - all three of whom could have won the gold medal, had they won the long program.

Hughes will also be remembered as having never won the US or World title - just the most coveted medal of all - Olympic gold.

Personally, I think she may decide to retire from the sport and concentrate on her studies. Clearly, she's already won the ultimate prize in figure skating, and if she expects to compete at the same level that won her the gold medal, she must devote countless hours to hard training - something she may not be willing to do at this point in her life.

Custom Title

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>she won the grandest of grand prizes in skating [/quote]

I think that's exactly what trigged the person start this thread. Had she not won OGM at SLC there would be no this thread. Or would there be?

While Kurt B., Elvis S., Plushy, Michelle, Janet Lyn, (just some name on top of my head) even without winning OGMs but their perfomance (or their Body works) still triggle plenty of questions like if they are consider of one of the greatest in skating history.

mmandel

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The last three Ladies Oly Champs, in my opinion, were nothing more than cute children with a lot of luck on THAT night! Finally, little girls have found a sport just for themselves.[/quote]

I have to agree with Joe. I don't think any of these three are/will be known as great skaters. All peaked at the right time, but quickly dropped from the skating map. I believe MK is in more of a demand than these skaters - now MK <em>IS</em> a great skater.

IceCastles1814

I think that Sarah Hughes will always be an Olympic legend, but I do not think her career to date is enough to say that she is a legend in the sport as a whole. To me, a legend of the sport in general means contributions to the sport in the way of technique or artistry and longevity. I think that OGM winners who win like Sarah do go down in history at least as Olympic legends, or rather their winning performances do, I suppose. Who knows what else she can do. I think that if being a legend in the sport was her aim, then she might come back and go for a national and/or world title. I think she's done pretty well and if she enjoys school, she shouldn't leave unless she wants to do it, not because she feels pressured to live up to others' expectations of an OGM winner. That's why I say that it may be the most prestigious medal, but it has it's pros and cons.

ladybug

When Sarah was interviewed as a little girl, she said her dream was to win the Olympics. She never mentioned wanting to win World's or Nationals. I think Sarah did what she wanted to do and now she will move onto something else.

rgirl181

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The last three Ladies Oly Champs, in my opinion, were nothing more than cute children with a lot of luck on THAT night! Finally, little girls have found a sport just for themselves.[/quote] I disagree. I think it was an anomoly that the last three Olympic ladies FS champs were 16 or 15, but it's not like they hadn't had some experience. Oksana went in as World Champ after Nancy's meltdown in '93. Tara had a Nationals and World championship behind her when she won. As for Sarah, she had been competing at an elite level and paying her dues for three years before the Olympics. Although she was only 16, Sarah had won bronze or silver at Nationals for three years; a World bronze in 2001; and many GP podium finishes. So even though Sarah did not have a Nationals or World title, let's not forget that she was competing against Michelle as well as Irina. IMO, Sarah's pre-Olympic record was excellent, especially considering her competition.

Also, among the last three Olympic ladies podiums, there have been a range of ages:
    '92--Bronze: Nancy K, 22; Midori Ito, 22; Kristy Y 20.
    '94--Bronze: Lu Chen, 17; Silver: Nancy K, 24; Gold: Oksana, 16.
    '98--Bronze: Lu Chen, 21; Silver: Michelle, 17; Gold: Tara, 15. (With Maria B 4th at age 24? someone correct me)
    '02--Bronze: Michelle, 22; Irina, 23; Sarah, 16.

Out of the last three Olympics, the average age of a ladies FS Olympic medalist is 19.6 yrs. Dorothy Hamill was 19 when she won her OGM; Kat Witt, 16 and 20; Peggy Fleming 19; Kristy Y 20. So although the last three ladies OGM winners were younger than average, the average age of all the medalists--bronze, silver, gold--in the last four Olympics is in keeping with the age of the OGM winners of the last 30 years. I hardly think the ages of all the Olympic medal winners since '92 makes figure skating a sport that "little girls have found...just for themselves." And I haven't even included the ages of the World medalists.

And I have to wonder, if Michelle had won the OGM at 17, would there have been complaints that another "little girl" had won? There were no such comments when she won Worlds at 16. This is no diss against Michelle fans and I hope people don't take it that way, but I think that a lot of the angst over figure skating being "taken over by baby ballerinas" is not only untrue, but also reflects a certain amount of frustration and perhaps even some bitterness on the part of <span style="text-decoration:underline">some</span> Michelle fans that she has not won the OGM--at least not yet I have my hopes for an "upset" by a 26-year-old Kwan in Turin:D I find the frustration about Michelle and the Olympics understandable, but I think it doesn't reflect the true picture of the age of all the Olympic medalists or the World champions. IMO, ladies figure skating is still a sport dominated by young women age 18 to 22 and there is nothing "little girl" about that.
    Rgirl

PS Joe--Got your PM; thanks. Haven't been online in weeks so I just saw it and now the server is down so I can't respond. Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring it.

LAVENDER

Michelle will still be 25 in Feb 2006, right?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast