World title, Sarah Hughes? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World title, Sarah Hughes?

E

Excidra2001

Re: World title, Sarah Hughes?

This thread was not started to tarnish Sarah's achievements but rather I wanted to know if people would consider her as one of the great's of the sport, considering most females who won the Olympic gold went down in figure skating history as one of the greatest.

I personally think Tara should go down as one of the great's of the sport. She was technically one of the few ladies to push the sport and at the same time she had the nice presention(little woman) to go along with it. Plus Tara is a former world/national/GPF/Olympic champ. She has won almost every title in figure skating in a short time. In the short time she was competing in the eligible ranks, she shook things up in the skating world and gave Kwan(the best at time) a run for her money. Back then, I would say a clean Tara would be hard to beat even by Kwan.

B

Bleuchick

Regarding SH

for me, she accomplished the unthinkable - coming from behind and wining the gold medal. It is a pity that we never got to see the same success last year. Hopefully one day. If not, she still did well in the year 2002.:D

Now, I have two questions:

If a skater becomes a legend after wining the gold medal then how come some fans thinks Sarah is not a legend.

If a skater becomes a legend after wining many worlds titles then why are Sarah's competitors, most of whom have won many worlds title still aiming for the OGM in 2006?

T

tharrtell

Re: Regarding SH

Only one of Sarah's competitors has won multiple World's titles.

S

SkateFan4Life

If Sarah Hughes never competes again, she will surely be remembered as the quintessential example of seizing the moment and skating the performance of your life when it counts the most. As a footnote, it will have to be remembered that she was the benficiary of less than stellar skating from Kwan, Slutskaya, and Cohen - all three of whom could have won the gold medal, had they won the long program.

Hughes will also be remembered as having never won the US or World title - just the most coveted medal of all - Olympic gold.

Personally, I think she may decide to retire from the sport and concentrate on her studies. Clearly, she's already won the ultimate prize in figure skating, and if she expects to compete at the same level that won her the gold medal, she must devote countless hours to hard training - something she may not be willing to do at this point in her life.

mzheng

Record Breaker

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>she won the grandest of grand prizes in skating [/quote]

I think that's exactly what trigged the person start this thread. Had she not won OGM at SLC there would be no this thread. Or would there be?

While Kurt B., Elvis S., Plushy, Michelle, Janet Lyn, (just some name on top of my head) even without winning OGMs but their perfomance (or their Body works) still triggle plenty of questions like if they are consider of one of the greatest in skating history.

M

mmandel

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The last three Ladies Oly Champs, in my opinion, were nothing more than cute children with a lot of luck on THAT night! Finally, little girls have found a sport just for themselves.[/quote]

I have to agree with Joe. I don't think any of these three are/will be known as great skaters. All peaked at the right time, but quickly dropped from the skating map. I believe MK is in more of a demand than these skaters - now MK <em>IS</em> a great skater.

I

IceCastles1814

I think that Sarah Hughes will always be an Olympic legend, but I do not think her career to date is enough to say that she is a legend in the sport as a whole. To me, a legend of the sport in general means contributions to the sport in the way of technique or artistry and longevity. I think that OGM winners who win like Sarah do go down in history at least as Olympic legends, or rather their winning performances do, I suppose. Who knows what else she can do. I think that if being a legend in the sport was her aim, then she might come back and go for a national and/or world title. I think she's done pretty well and if she enjoys school, she shouldn't leave unless she wants to do it, not because she feels pressured to live up to others' expectations of an OGM winner. That's why I say that it may be the most prestigious medal, but it has it's pros and cons.

L

ladybug

When Sarah was interviewed as a little girl, she said her dream was to win the Olympics. She never mentioned wanting to win World's or Nationals. I think Sarah did what she wanted to do and now she will move onto something else.

R

rgirl181

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The last three Ladies Oly Champs, in my opinion, were nothing more than cute children with a lot of luck on THAT night! Finally, little girls have found a sport just for themselves.[/quote] I disagree. I think it was an anomoly that the last three Olympic ladies FS champs were 16 or 15, but it's not like they hadn't had some experience. Oksana went in as World Champ after Nancy's meltdown in '93. Tara had a Nationals and World championship behind her when she won. As for Sarah, she had been competing at an elite level and paying her dues for three years before the Olympics. Although she was only 16, Sarah had won bronze or silver at Nationals for three years; a World bronze in 2001; and many GP podium finishes. So even though Sarah did not have a Nationals or World title, let's not forget that she was competing against Michelle as well as Irina. IMO, Sarah's pre-Olympic record was excellent, especially considering her competition.

Also, among the last three Olympic ladies podiums, there have been a range of ages:
'92--Bronze: Nancy K, 22; Midori Ito, 22; Kristy Y 20.
'94--Bronze: Lu Chen, 17; Silver: Nancy K, 24; Gold: Oksana, 16.
'98--Bronze: Lu Chen, 21; Silver: Michelle, 17; Gold: Tara, 15. (With Maria B 4th at age 24? someone correct me)
'02--Bronze: Michelle, 22; Irina, 23; Sarah, 16.

Out of the last three Olympics, the average age of a ladies FS Olympic medalist is 19.6 yrs. Dorothy Hamill was 19 when she won her OGM; Kat Witt, 16 and 20; Peggy Fleming 19; Kristy Y 20. So although the last three ladies OGM winners were younger than average, the average age of all the medalists--bronze, silver, gold--in the last four Olympics is in keeping with the age of the OGM winners of the last 30 years. I hardly think the ages of all the Olympic medal winners since '92 makes figure skating a sport that "little girls have found...just for themselves." And I haven't even included the ages of the World medalists.

And I have to wonder, if Michelle had won the OGM at 17, would there have been complaints that another "little girl" had won? There were no such comments when she won Worlds at 16. This is no diss against Michelle fans and I hope people don't take it that way, but I think that a lot of the angst over figure skating being "taken over by baby ballerinas" is not only untrue, but also reflects a certain amount of frustration and perhaps even some bitterness on the part of <span style="text-decoration:underline">some</span> Michelle fans that she has not won the OGM--at least not yet;) I have my hopes for an "upset" by a 26-year-old Kwan in Turin:D I find the frustration about Michelle and the Olympics understandable, but I think it doesn't reflect the true picture of the age of all the Olympic medalists or the World champions. IMO, ladies figure skating is still a sport dominated by young women age 18 to 22 and there is nothing "little girl" about that.
Rgirl

PS Joe--Got your PM; thanks. Haven't been online in weeks so I just saw it and now the server is down so I can't respond. Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring it.

L

LAVENDER

Michelle will still be 25 in Feb 2006, right?

S

sk8ing lady2001

Yes, of course, she will. :)

E

eltamina

I am sure some are Michelle fans, and some are not.

I think Maria Bute made a very strong statement about little 15 year old girls not being mature enough.... ? I forgot the exact quote, maybe that was lost in translation. BTW, I love Maria, I wish her success as a pro, and SAFETY, no car bombs etc, I am serious

If we go back to GS history shortly after Olys 02, I am sure we know who was most bitter about Sarah (actually, she is equally bitter about Michelle)

When Michelle won worlds at 15, there were gripes about her age too. There are people who still haven't forgiven her for beating Lulu.

Back to topic, Sarah achieved her goal, now she has some different goals.

P

Pather2000

<em>Sarah's Skating performance & she herself will go down in the history books has one of the best Jumps (from 4th to 1st) ever. In Female Skating History. But, she is not a an Olympic Legend. She has only one title & her GOLD was GIVEN to her By not 1 or 2 But, 3 Skaters who was ahead of her who let the better get the best of them.
If anyone of them had skated with a clean program( Even a lackluster performance) still would have beaten her.

She is not a Legend. But she is in the history books with that great comeback. Legend Status is usually for people who have more than one title & Many different title & for people who have been WINNING(not 2nd or 3rd) for many many years. & Also, for people who once they reach the top, to see how long they continue to stay there being #1. The Yankees are a Legendery team because, they have won so many Championships. Not, because, they finished 2nd or 3rd or got knocked out of the playoffs.

She will have the title of An Olympic Champion forever. Legend, No way. Unless, she comes back & the skates of her life winning everything in site for the next 3 or 4 years. Inlcuding another Olympic Gold </em>

L

LAVENDER

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Sarah's Skating performance & she herself will go down in the history books has one of the best Jumps (from 4th to 1st) ever. In Female Skating History. But, she is not a an Olympic Legend. [/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Sarah is no Olympic legend although her name is in the book of Olympic champs.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Unless, she comes back & the skates of her life winning everything in site for the next 3 or 4 years. Inlcuding another Olympic Gold [/quote]

I agree she would have to win Nats and Worlds for at least a couple of years but I don't think it will have to include another Olympic gold. However is she doesn't win anything but comes back and when another Olympic gold then I will have to give in and agree that she will be in the book of 'greats'.

J

Joesitz

Sorry rGirl - Anomoly just won't do it for me regarding the last 3 Oly champs. I can see many more teenagers win Oly gold in the future especially those who smile like crazy and land a quad. And this will happen!! They are so cute. How can you not give them the blue ribbon?

IMO, a young girl blossoms at 18 has had some experience in the real world and it begins to show up in her performance.

Without going into personalities, imo, one of the three could develop a strong skate if interest is still there; one other continues to be cute even at 20; and the third we just don't know yet.

As one poster mentioned that flapping swan wings; skating in a daze because lover is about to be killed; or stabbing oneself because of unrequited love - just doesn't get me excited especially when compared to the on stage originals. What is wrong with an original figure skate?

But hey, figure skating is a subjective sport.

Joe

S

scuttlebutt99

Olympic Gold

Joesitz:

In addition to being “cute children with a lot of luck” , they also happened to be highly skilled and talented to be able to beat the greatest skater of all times on the most pressured event of all competitions. Apart from the skating skills which were evident, there is justified admiration deserving upon “children” who can muster the absolute best they are capable of under the glaring light of such a massive audience the Olympics attracts.

Being capable of such grit and toughness in and of itself is a worthy accomplishment which is deserving of the gold medal, which every Olympian vies for.
Olympic Gold medallists will always be remembered because they are part of history, irrespective of their other achievements. There are only seven ladies Olympic Gold medallists in the U.S. thus far and each gold medallist is worthy of the title they earned.

I

IceCastles1814

I disagree about Sarah not being an Olympic legend. I think it depends on how you think of legend. People will think of how she won the OGM. That in it self is a "story legend" of the Olympics. That's what I refer to when I say legend. Coming from 4th to 1st is quite a feat and it fits in perfectly with Olympic history.

T

Tenorguy

Sarah a legend?

Hmmmmm -

Here's my 2 cents: What constitutes a 'legend'? Is that word not completely objective? Who qualifies? Is longevity the baseline? Or quality? I think the we've all been trained to throw up superlatives where superlatives are not deserved - how many times has the public been told that so and so TV actor is a legend?

For me Sarah accomplished so much as a human being - setting her goal and accomplishing it. I must admit to a certain chagrin and sadness that responsible adults would count this young woman's moment so lightly.

She transcended her weaknesses, grasped her core strength, caught the moment, maximized her skill, stepped into the circle, enjoyed herself, interpreted Ravel, and flew. She embodied the whole Olympic ideal for me; even overcoming my cynical and world-weary distrust in the validity of organized sports.

Isn't that what we would all wish we could do - do the very best we could in the moment?

If you were her parent, would you not still be brimming with pride and joy?

Frankly I like and respect Sarah more than 2 time OGM Ms. Witt.

T

Tenorguy

Subjective, not objective!

Re: my previous post ....

Determining a legend is completely subjective, not objective! I trust you knew what I meant....

Not 3 minutes after finishing my first post, I heard something on Access Hollywood touting Soupy Sales as a legend in the TV-land firmament ......

Oy vey.

L

Ladskater

I think Sarah is Great - for just being "true to herself."

Ladskater