Commentators - Who do you NOT Want to See Cover the Olympics? | Golden Skate

Commentators - Who do you NOT Want to See Cover the Olympics?

S

SkateFan4Life

OK, here's the reverse side of the question. Who do you NOT want to see and hear broadcast the figure skating competition in Torino?

Personally, there are just a handful of people who qualify, and most principal is Sandra Bezic. IMHO, she comes across as an insufferable snob of the first order, arrogant, opinionated, and she just thinks she knows absolutely everything that there is to know. UGH. In Salt Lake, Ms. Bezic went ballistic over the pairs judging, and her outrage was fueled, for the most part, because two of her fellow Canadians, Sale and Pelletier, received "unfair" scores that gave them the silver medal. Make no mistake about it, if S & P had been of any other nationality, she would have said precious little. The woman was so biased for her own countrymen that it was laughable.

Scott Hamilton is a wonderful champion, and I admire his tenacity in overcoming a host of health issues. For that, I give him a standing ovation. However, as a figure skating commentator, I just can't stand him. He gushes, talks far too much, acts goofy, and, well, enough is enough, IMHO.

rain

Record Breaker
I actually like Bezic. I dislike most of the American commentators, Dick and Peggy especially drive me up the wall. Being Canadian, fortunately, I'm more likely to be watching a Canadian channel.....Of the Canadians, I can't stand Rod Black - the guy doesn't know a damn thing about skating and just sits there to ask moronic questions and make moronic statements about whatever the latest controversy is. I like Barb Underhill and Paul Martini, like Debbie Wilkes and Tracy Wilson....I appreciate the CBC coverage because they will often commentate very little or not at all during the actual programs, so you can watch and listen without a lot of annoying nattering.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I don't want Sandra Bezic commentating. Commentators are supposed to be neutral. She clearly was choosing sides during the judging scandal.

Kat Witt. I like her as a person, but her commentating is a little boring, from what I saw this season.

I still love Scott. I'm not sure if I really want him there or I really don't. I think he went a little over the top about the scandal. Same as Bezic, he didn't stay neutral, whatsoever.

Kelly22

Rinkside
Commentators

I agree Bezic was biased, as was Scott. But Bezic is Canadian and Scott is American. Maybe Scott just called it as he saw it. I love both pairs, but agreed that S&P won with that program on that night.

I, too, love Scott, but Scott also had problems the next night calling the men's - he said Yagudin had relinquished the LP (or SP, can't remember which) to Plush....where did THAT come from??? Scott calling it as he saw it, I suppose...were we watching the same program?

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Kelly22 said:
I agree Bezic was biased, as was Scott. But Bezic is Canadian and Scott is American. Maybe Scott just called it as he saw it. I love both pairs, but agreed that S&P won with that program on that night.

I, too, love Scott, but Scott also had problems the next night calling the men's - he said Yagudin had relinquished the LP (or SP, can't remember which) to Plush....where did THAT come from??? Scott calling it as he saw it, I suppose...were we watching the same program?

The commentating in SLC during pairs was a disgrace. In their opinion B&S did nothing well in their LP performance. If Scott called it the way he saw it, he was either blind or under the influence of Bezic. I wonder if it was planned that way, to not say anything good about B&S and gush over S&P, so that they can scream injustice if S&P did not win? Otherwise it does not make sense for any commentator to say only positives about one skater and only negatives about another. What I saw in person was so completely different from what these two described that I could not believe what I was hearing on TV (I watched it later on TV).

There are plenty of bad commentators, and most have their favorites, but only a few that intentionally distort the truth.

I do not wish to see these two commentating (together or separately) ever again.

Vash

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kelly22 said:

Scott later came back and apologised saying he didn't stay in the cloak of commentating and as such did a poor job... Bob Costas then tried to talk Scott into believing he didn't do anything wrong, but Scott--while saying the judging sucked that night--was adament that he helped fuel a wrongful reaction from N. America towards Elena and Anton and that they were not to be blamed... it was a little too late for his PR... but I gotta respect him...

Yags skated conservatively FOR YAGS at the olys... Scott knew it and told it how he saw it... he was a little biased for Tim, I'll give him that, but I was biased towards Tim too lol

I don't want Besic or any of the NBC "color commentators" and if Bob Costas stayed away from the entire thing I would be a very happy girl. I also can't stand Tracy Wilson. She can't pronounce anything right most of the time and it just drives me up the wall... she is probably the least biased of the 02 team, but still :laugh: and I agree... Roz should never hold a mic ever again... a.nnoy.ing.:eek:hwell:

euterpe

Medalist
NO: Bezic, Sumners

I wish Scott Hamilton wasn't commenting, but he is. I'd prefer Paul Wylie.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Roz and Peter Carruthers- Loud and obnoxious
Sandra Bezic-Biased and snobby
Tom Hammond-couldn't care less
Dick Enberg-loud and couldn't care less
Scott Hamilton- makes to many predictions. He said during to Nagano preview that Michelle could win with maybe two mistakes and called her SLC skate "smart". Now I love Michelle bbut C'MON.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I go for voice quality first........Ted Gannon has a low, soothing voice. Next for me would be either Kurt or Paul. I also love the voice quality of Tracy Wilson. That would be my team...........42

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Sandra & Scott!!! They are the pits, individually; absolutely horrendous when commentating together.

ericnsf

Spectator
Sandra Bezic. HANDS DOWN! Totally biased and often unfair. Love Scott but he's too nice and doesn't call out the weaknesses as well. I like Dick and Peggy.

Linny

Final Flight
have done commentating

Nancy Kerrigan and Chris Bowman have also done commentating... and neither of them are my picks for the Olys.
Linny

jesslily

Final Flight
I hope Sandra and Scott won't do the commentating. Sandra is very biased and snobby. Scott's voice just make me uncomfortable. I think Dick, Peggy, and Paul W. can make a great team.

skindocdenise

Spectator
I have no liking for Sandra at all. Goodness, don't bring up Bob Costas. I think he has a terrible personality. I always hated his comments during the Olympics.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
jesslily said:
I hope Sandra and Scott won't do the commentating. Sandra is very biased and snobby. Scott's voice just make me uncomfortable. I think Dick, Peggy, and Paul W. can make a great team.

An article written a couple of months ago stated that Scott would be the head analyst for NBC's coverage of the Olympics :clap: