Commentators - Who do you NOT Want to See Cover the Olympics? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Commentators - Who do you NOT Want to See Cover the Olympics?

sk8m8

Final Flight
Whoever NBC had in the booth with Scott and Sandra needs to never step foot near an ice rink again. Talk about opinionated! This guy (I can't remember his name, he was so awful) made Terry Gannon look and sound as if he could switch off an go be a tech caller for a skate. By the way, I agree with those who have praised Gannon's ability to add the background and factual elelments to the broadcast. I never thought Roz was THAT awful in her commentary, just inexperienced. I thought she could have come along way if she had been given the proper exposure and opportunity.

I always liked Sandra Bezik's commentary. She is one of the few commentators who has something interesting to say about music and choreography. (Also Susie Wynn.)

I like Scott, too. He is so enthusiastic, and so full of sympathy for skaters who don't do so well. I am not put off by a commentator who is opinionated. That's what they get paid for, to give their opinions.

MM :)

jesslily

Final Flight
I don't like these two commentating. I also don't like the guy who worked with Paul Wylie for NHK or GPF. I don't remember his name. This guy does not know anything about skating and kept asking simple questions to Paul Wylie while a young talented skater going through major parts of the program. Sometimes Paul just did not pick up what he asked and started saying things needed to say at that time.

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
As long as there isn't the guy that kept on talking about Sylvia Fontana's father's suicide, because he annoyed me to no end at the last Olympics and I might find myself accidentially hitting the mute button as he speaks. ;)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I hear we might not get Scott because NBC is a little peeved that the "Skating with Celebrities" (starring Scott) will be playing opposite the Olys (also starring Scott). If so, I would like to get one commentator from NA and one from Europe -- maybe Tara and Maria Butyskaya doing the ladies event.

S

SkateFan4Life

On a scale of 1 to 10, Sandra Bezic rates a 10 on the snob-o-meter. She is just incredibly arrogant, snobby, and insufferable. Frankly, I would like to see one of her fellow commentators tell her, on live television, to "shut up". :biggrin:

The thought of Bezic sitting speechless is well -- :rofl:

mganders

Rinkside
In my opinion, Al Trautwig easily tops the list of commentators we hope never to see covering figure skating again. I once sent a message to the network calling him an offensive oaf who managed to make figure skating seem sleazy.

I just came across a posting at http://www.skatefic.com/story-poetry-humor-essay/humor/QXQ/ that reads as follows:

The latest insult, fostered on skating fans was Al Trautwig. Known sometimes as "Fishhair," Trautwig's abominable coverage of the 1998 Olympics got him burn in cyber-effigy on RSSIF and skating message boards around the world.

S

SkateFan4Life

ITA. He's another commentator who should stay home - or at least stay far, far away from the Olympic figure skating broadcast booth.

heyang

Record Breaker
Tara and Maria B? I just can't picture it. I don't think Maria B has strong enough English skills for American TV. Tara doesn't have the broadcasting resume to get an Oly Commentary job.

Please - no Nancy Kerrigan either. I've been watching some of her commentary on CN8. It's gotten better, but Wylie is so much better.

Scott's is not the best broadcast voice, but his enthusiasm is good for casual viewers. I'd much rather have Wylie or Boitano or Button though for Men's commentary.

As for ladies skating, I think I'd like to see Kristi and Peggy together.

For Dance, I don't have any 'hates', but I think Susie Wynn does a nice job. Do Torvill and Dean commentate? I'd like to hear their opinions, too.

Pairs - much tougher. Many of the past gold medalists are Russian and as mentioned above, generally don't have the English language skills to be pleasant for American viewers. Fluff could be done since it's short and pre-scripted. However, for on the 'fly' stuff, the person must have very good language skills. Perhaps Wylie and Yamaguchi for pairs commentary - they are both Olympic medalists and have both skated pairs at some point in their skating careers.

oops - sorry, got off thread. Don't care for Peter as a commentator. He really bugged me while judging at Marshall's. He's ok for fluff.

guinevere

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life said:
The thought of Bezic sitting speechless is well -- :rofl:
During a Pro comp several years ago (World pro, maybe?) there was such a moment, and it was a thing of beauty. Sandra was commentating with a guy I didn't know and haven't heard of since. It was, I believe Alexei Urmanov's debut in the Pro ranks. Sandra Bezic has a dislike for Urmanov that makes me think he ran over her kitten at some point. She made snide comments about his style (elaborate costume and props) throughout the competition (while praising Candeloro's completely over the top Wild Wild West program), and eventually said something about how Urmanov has just never been able to capitalize on his Oly gold by getting on the tours, and how producers just never seemed to think of him. The other commentator perks up and says "Aren't you the creative producer for a lot of those shows? Why don't YOU hire him?" Sandra completely spluttered for a few seconds before making some weak excuse. She was obviously caught off guard.

I had never paid that much attention to Urmanov before that, but ever since then I've wanted him to be everywhere in the skating world, just because his presence seems to upset Sandra Bezic. :lol:

Lanie

On the Ice
:rofl: That story about Sandra is great. I really, really dislike her--and her commentating! I don't like Scott's commentating either. Peggy and Dick I could do without. Heck, I'd just enjoy the competition...but if we're stuck with someone...I like Susie Wynne and Paul Wylie. Paul explains the new system pretty nicely so people can know what's up with COP. We need that at the Olympics, IMHO; the casual "once every four years" FS watcher will be befuddled, I'm sure, when they see that 6.0s are history!

mememe

On the Ice
Well, doesn't matter who we do or don't want -- this is what we're getting (according to the NBC Olympic site):

Tom Hammond on play-by-play. Scott Hamilton on men and ladies, Dick Button on pairs, Sandra Bezic on all four diciplines and Tracy Wilson on dance. Oh -- and Andrea Joyce is listed as a "reporter at large."

Felicitations to those who like these folks. But for me, outside of pairs and dance (and even at times on those) I'll be watching the Olympics with the sound turned low -- up just enough to hopefully at least figure out what music they're skating to, but leaving the commentary low enough that I can't hear it.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
mememe said:
Well, doesn't matter who we do or don't want -- this is what we're getting (according to the NBC Olympic site):

Tom Hammond on play-by-play. Scott Hamilton on men and ladies, Dick Button on pairs, Sandra Bezic on all four diciplines and Tracy Wilson on dance. Oh -- and Andrea Joyce is listed as a "reporter at large."

Felicitations to those who like these folks. But for me, outside of pairs and dance (and even at times on those) I'll be watching the Olympics with the sound turned low -- up just enough to hopefully at least figure out what music they're skating to, but leaving the commentary low enough that I can't hear it.

Scott!!!! NOOOOOOOOO OMG...I'm not sure how I missed this. I really don't like his commentary. I actually like Paul's . Yeah, he's a bit dry but he's knowledgeable and is fair. Hmmm...as much as Dick and Peggy gush, its just not the same to have them in the singles.

I don't mind Terry Gannon and Susie Wynn for dance...yeah, even Bezic.

Pairs, well...not sure..

Darby

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I find Dick Button extremely annoying, but like Paul Wylie, Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic very much (with the exception of pairs event in SLC).

guinevere

Final Flight
I'm really distressed that Bezic will be inflicted on us for all four disciplines. I went to the NBC Olympics website to make a complaint, but couldn't find any way to contact them. I can't think of any other commentator that I find so awful I'd want to complain about it, but this seems absurd.

Lanie

On the Ice
Now that we know Sandra is commentating we can all head to SkateVids forum and download stuff from the European broadcasts! ;)

S

SkateFan4Life

guinevere said:
During a Pro comp several years ago (World pro, maybe?) there was such a moment, and it was a thing of beauty. Sandra was commentating with a guy I didn't know and haven't heard of since. It was, I believe Alexei Urmanov's debut in the Pro ranks. Sandra Bezic has a dislike for Urmanov that makes me think he ran over her kitten at some point. She made snide comments about his style (elaborate costume and props) throughout the competition (while praising Candeloro's completely over the top Wild Wild West program), and eventually said something about how Urmanov has just never been able to capitalize on his Oly gold by getting on the tours, and how producers just never seemed to think of him. The other commentator perks up and says "Aren't you the creative producer for a lot of those shows? Why don't YOU hire him?" Sandra completely spluttered for a few seconds before making some weak excuse. She was obviously caught off guard.

I had never paid that much attention to Urmanov before that, but ever since then I've wanted him to be everywhere in the skating world, just because his presence seems to upset Sandra Bezic. :lol:

Great story! Thanks for sharing it with all of us - many of whom really have no use for snobby Sandra.

S

SkateFan4Life

mememe said:

Then we can expect more of the same miserable commentary from HRH Bezic. We can expect her to do everything she possible can to award the men's title to Jeffrey Buttle or Emanuel Sandhu, because of their nationality. Doesn't matter one whit whether these guys skate badly or greatly - she'll praise them to the rafters because they are all Canadians. :banging:

This may sound wierd, but I almost hope something happens that will really stir up Bezic's ire so she can make a fool out of herself again, in front of millions of television viewers. If this happens, I am definitely contacting NBC sports and expressing my displeasure with Bezic's lousy commentary.

Care to join me, guys?

ildah

Rinkside
Sorry, I like Scott. Bezic I don't have a lot of experience with so can't comment - We wouldn't have this thread if we all loved them, would we? Tracy Wilson is wonderful, really like her.

As for the emotional outbursts at the pairs LP in SLC, they were certainly unprecidented, as both Bezic and Hamilton probably realized later.
Could this be because the situation was unprecidented? Remember, all these commentators in the know had been hearing about a "fix" in the works for days before the LP. Only we ignorant publicans were clueless (and the skaters). Imagine the American media having the nerve not to sweep the cheating underbelly of skating under the rug as had been done for years and would have been if the Olys were not in SLC.

On the other hand, maybe the biased Bezic and Hamilton did actually arrange for Marie Reine La G. to rush into British judge Sally Stapleford's arms in the hotel following the judging and start crying "I did a terrible thing. The Canadians were better. You don't understand. There's so much pressure on me" (Of course Stapleford could have made that up, in a prearranged agreement with Bezic and Hamilton). Maybe they also arranged for La G to break down in front of skating referee Ron Phenning the next day and admit the same thing. Maybe it was all an American /Canadian/British/NBC plot! Of course Stapleford and Phenning have been banned from their positions for life now, as befits judges who have cheated and then lied in order to manipulate the results of a competition. By the way, are we going to be seeing Marie Reine and Didier in Italy?

Oops, sorry - I got off topic. As I said, I like Scott.

S

SkateFan4Life

I also like Tracy Wilson very much. She's warm, intelligent, articulate, passionate about figure skating, and she's forthright in her assessments of the skater's performances without being snobby, rude, or arrogant. :clap: