College Rant (Same song, different verse) | Golden Skate

College Rant (Same song, different verse)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know it's that time of year again, but I just don't get it.

I am all for becoming a well-rounded person, I just want to know how Anthropology will make me a better film director... I want to know why I have to pay through the nose for classes that are just to make me a "better person" :unsure:

I'd be a better person if I wasn't so ticked off about what I'm paying

I'm paying for 2 sports complexes, one that I don't use, and one no one uses because it isn't built yet. I am paying for a health clinic that I don't use, and I don't agree with most of its practices...

I don't use the computer labs that are outside of my major, why am I paying for those?

why am I paying for things only those in the dorms use????

Why does college feel the need to stick me?????

I understand that I am paying very little compared to others in different schools... but I am still very confused by this...

and it's almost midnight so that doesn't help either lol :scratch:

MissCleo

On the Ice
Why jack up tuition for a new dorm that was not needed?
Or why cant the university place a parking lot near a building that students actually use?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah we don't have a lot of parking... my feeling is instead of the new sports complex that no one will use I want more parking! :disapp:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Here's my theory.

Rediculous spending at the University level is intended to prepare young adults for their future - rediculous spending by the government for the rest of your life. ;) This way you won't feel bad down the road when you find out your Federal Tax dollars went to something like an Indoor Rainforest in Iowa, and other equally important projects for the common good.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
as someone who lives in a state that the 49 other states think is one huge frivolous spending project I don't see it that way

I just think the University is about $$ and not education (ok so it's teh American way, I get it):eek:hwell:

sk8m8

Final Flight
Sad but true... we pay a lot so that people in the future can have it better than we did, call it "pay it forward" if it eases your pain. In most cases this is what we ALL end up doing, whether it's pay for public transportation when we drive, or when we pay taxes for schools and we don't have children, it's SUPPOSED to help create a healthy and stable society (yadayadayada)

On the positive side, we all benefit from kids that get a better education and also from having ways to get workers where they are needed to keep the growth and the economy going.

As for Anthropology, stick with it, you may not see the need for it now, but someday, when you're an esteemed director, there will come an idea that is a key to your award-winning film that came from some boring class you had in college...I've seen it happen again and again, besides...it's good practice for "looking interested in someone you're not" that in and of itself is worth the price of admission...It'll take you far:agree:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
as someone who lives in a state that the 49 other states think is one huge frivolous spending project I don't see it that way

I just think the University is about $$ and not education (ok so it's teh American way, I get it):eek:hwell:

I have dug myself in several holes in the last few days here on GS. I've edited this post more times than I can count because I have no interest in digging yet another hole.

I live in one of the "Other 49" (IL to be exact) and I do not view Alaska as "one huge spending project" Hopefully we will have the opportunity to discuss "favorite huge spending projects" OOPS - I meant Cute Boy Booty in STL!!!!!!!

Seriously, I am interested in getting to know you better, and your perspective on Alaska Politikin'/Spendin'. So long as you are willing to listen to my diatribe re: IL. Capone may be dead, but Wheelin' and Dealin' lives on. :) (IMO)

DG

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I hope you did not think that I was calling anything in Alaska a frivolous spending project. I was calling out miniature state (Senator/Congressperson) based projects (regardless of state) as frivolous Federal Spending Projects. That's just my opinion. When you graduate with honors, get your first really exciting job out of college, continue advancing your career, and then realize that roughly HALFof every dollar you earn is going to some sort of tax, then maybe you will understand where I'm coming from.

If you ask me what sort of things I believe my tax dollars SHOULD go to, you will find education at all levels (K - Masters), among many others on my list.

I hope I have not offended you.

DG

no you didn't... It's just a touchy subject as any and everything our congressman and senators ask for in DC gets shot down as frivolous (which is why Sen. Stevens threw a tantrum just a few weeks ago lol)... I could be exagerating a bit... but *shrugs*

you didn't offend, I'm sorry as I came off as such

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
nicole_l said:
Just wish that this Physics exam wasn't going to be so impossible! :cry:

Just wanted to say I feel your pain!! Based on my limited memory going back all those years, I would say that Chemistry (101 College) was by FAR (for me) the most difficult thing I ever had to pass. But Physics 101 was a close second.

After STRUGGLING through Physics, I ended up "having to take" Calculus One. Just to get the proper credits for a degree after changing schools.

The thing that pissed me off the most about Calculus was how much EASIER Physics would have been, if I had known then what I learned in that calculus class. And the biggest pisser of all is that I don't recall ANY of it now!!! (might be helpful with COP/NJS, but if so, I will never know).

DG

MissCleo

On the Ice
THANK GOD i am finished with my finals. Now I can stop pulling my hair about organic chemistry and anatomy (at least till next semester starts)

heyang

Record Breaker
I know I was a computer science major, but I don't know why I needed 4 calculus classes and 2 physics classes with labs and I graduated from college in 1987. If I had been in the engineering side of it, then the courses made sense, but I was on the business side.

On the other hand, I enjoyed my liberal arts classes in psychology and fine arts and College Vocabulary skills (what my friends and I thought would be an easy class that we could take together since we were all different majors - I still clearly remember re-writing notes from a previous class while Jen studied for an exam in her next class and Donna read the next chapter of Royal Seduction. I got an A while my 2 friends got B's.) I felt these classes allowed me to get to know people outside of major and who are my 'customers' today at work.