Kristi Yamaguchi | Golden Skate

Kristi Yamaguchi

Johar

Medalist
Yamaguchi was not in attendance at the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame induction held recently to honor Olympic champions. According to the US Figure Skating Association she was invited the ceremony but turned it down because she had to stay home with her newborn and two-year-old. :eek:hwell:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she's being a mom... I think that's more important . :rock:

according to people.com her father accepted on her behalf.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I agree with Toni. Her priorities in life have changed. Her family now take precedence over award ceremonies & that's how it should be.

Linny

Final Flight
not traveling

The newborn is only a few weeks old. No wonder she didn't travel to the ceremony. Linny

I agree with the posters who stated motherhood and her infant child was just a bit more important. I imagine Kristy has not been getting much sleep lately, too, so she's probably exhausted.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with everyone else. No reason to look down on her or shun her. She's doing her job now, which is raising her kids. And if you ask me, that's quite an admirable thing to do.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I respect her for not just up and leaving her babies to go get an induction. She's got a good head on her shoulders. :)

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Yes, its funny how more important family becomes the older we get. I think that is saying a lot about someone. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johar... I didn't think you were... just applauding Kristi for not dragging her kids to something just because she's getting inducted... so many celebs put their kids after their career and it's refreashing to see a mom take a step back :)

and like I said, some of her family was there ;)

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I believe the ceremony will be televised January 1st on NBC. Yeah, I wish she could be there too but I hope she (or Papa Yamaguchi) still gets airtime on the televised show!

BTW anyone else notice the mention of Kristi by Kurt in his "commentary" Brickhouse number Sunday? He said she would always be dancing backstage during Brickhouse! :laugh: (Called her by her nickname Yama.) :biggrin:

I heard Kurt say something about someone always dancing off-ice to his Brick House....I didn't hear who he said, tho.

I remember on some show being televised, it showed Roz off ice doing that part where Kurt folds his arms sorta Indian style and lifts one up, swooshes the other down, etc., along with him. So I thought he might've been referring to Roz with that comment, but if you heard Yama, I guess maybe a lot of the other cast members were dancing off-ice along with him.;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Josee Chouinard was caught dancing to it a couple of times at different shows as well :laugh: she even admitted to it during Kurt's 1998 (?) TV special (which is one of my absolute favorites of his ;))

S

SkateFan4Life

Give Kristi some time, and I'm sure she will return to the ice in some capacity, even if for nothing more than "special appearances" on television shows.

With two little kids, she has her hands full. I'm sure she is a wonderful mom!!

I remember seeing footage of Dorothy Hamill back in 1988, about two months after she had given birth to her daughter. Dorothy was in the ice rink, skating around slowly, holding her infant daughter in her arms. It was such a sweet moment! :love:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Okay, I'm such a geek, but I listened to Kurt's program again to get the exact quote! :biggrin:

This is what it sounds like to me:

"I remember it...Yama always backstage doing these dance moves with me...She's dancing, I'm dancing, we're dancing, she's cool, I'm cool...Okay, time to focus." :)

The part I'm most unsure of is the "cool" word.

purplecat said:
Okay, I'm such a geek, but I listened to Kurt's program again to get the exact quote! :biggrin:

"I remember it...Yama always backstage doing these dance moves with me...She's dancing, I'm dancing, we're dancing, she's cool, I'm cool...Okay, time to focus." :)

Purplecat! Don't do this to me, not even as a joke! What other word that sounds like "cool" would Kurt say to himself and a couple of hundred of his fans while he's skating "Brick House"? :)

Gawd, I am SO glad you heard right. If it had been Roz...:biggrin:

Rgirl

NOTE TO MODS: Tell Paula to get the new "Barf" emoticon ASAP. "Biggrin" just ain't cuttin' it. Thanks.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
purplecat said:

That was hilarious! But I didn't get to hear it all. Thanks for the translation!

Czarina Anya/AnnieBgood

Rgirl said:
What other word that sounds like "cool" would Kurt say to himself and a couple of hundred of his fans while he's skating "Brick House"? :)
I thought he said, "Kristi's a jewell and I'm her fool." :)

heyang

Record Breaker
Actually, Kristi's 'daisy' program was the lead-in to Kurt's Brick House during that year's SOI. It's the one where Kristi's in a baby doll dress and has her hair in 2 ponytails.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
heyang said:
Actually, Kristi's 'daisy' program was the lead-in to Kurt's Brick House during that year's SOI. It's the one where Kristi's in a baby doll dress and has her hair in 2 ponytails.

Oo, you must mean "Oh, So Quiet!" One of my favorite Kristi programs! :rofl: :clap: Followed by "Brick House" (classic Kurt)! :agree: