I'm in love with Dubreuil & Lauzon's free dance! | Golden Skate

I'm in love with Dubreuil & Lauzon's free dance!

Spirit

On the Ice
I'm only a so-so fan of ice dance. Although I appreciate the complexity of what ice dancers do, I sometimes wish they'd slow down and actually dance once in a while instead of moving like they're on a sugar high and can't wait to get to the bathroom. There's nothing wrong with dancing like that, but a little variety would be great.

But watching my NHK tape, I just caught D&L's free skate, to the music of Somewhere in Time. It was gorgeous! Nothing looked like it was shoehorned into a place it didn't belong. It felt like real dancing. I was just sitting there smiling while I watched, so I watched it again and smiled some more.

The commentator pointed out what I was thinking -- that with the sweater and the theme, it looked like S&P's Love Story. Perhaps it's a Canadian thing.

Anyhoo, nothing more than that. Just got jazzed by a couple of ice dancers. That's rare, so I had to share.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
:thumbsup: This is the most beautiful free dance I've ever seen. It's what has made me a fan of theirs. Definetely olympic material! Plus, it's done to the music from one of my favorite movies of all time. Good taste!:thumbsup:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I like the dancing. Unfortunately the music and the costumes put me into fits. I HATE THAT MOVIE with a passion that burns with the heat of a thousand suns. Not only is it hideously depressing, and filled with some geographic anomalies, AND an irritating time travel causal-loop paradox, but it was filmed on Mackinac Island. I worked on the Island for two seasons (or as we like to call it 'Mackatraz'). That Movie is everywhere on the Island. Music boxes, t-shirts, postcards, replicas of that stupid watch, that bloody Rachmaninov variation ...I find I enjoy the program a lot more if I turn the sound off. I cannot escape that film!

Still, I hope they put in a great showing at the Olympics. Not naive enough to hope they WIN (only way that'll happen is if Navka or Kostomarov gets hurt so badly they have to withdraw) but they're so lovely to watch. I liked their OD, too. I think, of the FDs, I like Gregory and Petrukov's R&J program a bit more, though.

Spirit

On the Ice
:laugh: Juliet! So sorry about the movie flood. (I've never actually seen it myself, just heard bits and pieces about it.)

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i really like their free dance as well! it's my favorite this season. i also don't usually follow ice dance as closely but i root for this team to do well in turino and worlds...

Eldredgefan2001

Rinkside
I fell in love with it when they skated it at Skate Canada. I haven't been this fond of a free dance, since T&D's "Bolero"! :love: :rock:

Saundy

On the Ice
I too am a fan and I fell in love with it while I was at Skate Canada. It also made it even more special when I found out that the 2 of them did the voice overs/singing in the music. This program was definitely made for them.

They are dancing together. they are not doing Pairs They are not waiting for the ohs of acrobatic tricks. they are dancing together. they are not doing Pairs.

Joe

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Joesitz said:
They are dancing together. they are not doing Pairs They are not waiting for the ohs of acrobatic tricks. they are dancing together. they are not doing Pairs.

Joe

Please, expand on that. :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
julietvalcouer said:
Still, I hope they put in a great showing at the Olympics. Not naive enough to hope they WIN (only way that'll happen is if Navka or Kostomarov gets hurt so badly they have to withdraw) but they're so lovely to watch. I liked their OD, too. I think, of the FDs, I like Gregory and Petrukov's R&J program a bit more, though.
Well it is just my opinion but I think they can beat Navka and Kostomarov. I just love this program too.

Dee

Jill

On the Ice
Add me to the list of those who absolutely loved their free dance. I especially like their lifts. I've been a fan of MF-D even before she teamed up with PL, and it's so nice to see them finally come into their own on the international scene.

soogar

Record Breaker
I keep thinking that the media (esp with Paul's gushing over that dance) want to set up some wuzrobbing for the Olympics in case B&A don't make it there. They are not going to beat Navka with that sentimental schlock. That dance isn't even good enough to medal. If B&A go to the Olympics and skate well, they are assured (with the way the scores are going ) of that second spot. 3rd will be a fight between GrushGons, C&S , DenStas (if they get their act together) , and DelShoes.

According to this morning's paper, the appropriations bill, with the Levin ammendment attached, passed the house yesterday. The senate is expected to approave it, also.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Regardless of Sen. Levin's amendment...back on subject here...

I AGREE! D/L's FD is the first one since Torvill/Dean's various early-1980s FDs that is 'masterpiece' material. It almost snuck in out of nowhere, without fanfare. Suddenly -- after months of blah-blah-blah about Johnny's psyche, Sasha-vs-Michelle, Alissa's hinged boot, Tanith's citizenship -- the single greatest program of the 2006 Winter Olympics is revealed to us.

Navka/Kostomarov: Watch Out! or...... Tanith Who?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I doubt Navka/Kostamarov are too worried about Belbin/Agosto personally.
They still beat them comfortably at Worlds last year, and if anything they have made more progress in their programs since last year to this year. Judged purely on merit I could see the Americans as a threat to them, not gauranteed to beat them, but a threat. However the judges edge clearly goes to the Russians, the Americans would have to be enormously superior to have the judges give them the gold, and the only way for them to have any shot to be that superior would be a major fall by the Russians.

CzarinaAnya said:
Please, expand on that. :)
Anya - A hundred years ago before you were born, there were a number of dance team acts that toured the night clubs. They were called Adagio Acts. A couple where the gentleman picked up the lady and spun her around as he strolled up and down the stage (everyone gasped); and they would also have her run at him and throw herself into his arms and he would flip her all around. Many more tricks like that which were interspersed with hips swinging to a rhumba beat. Usually, they concluded the act with the lady in a sit spin position while the gentlement twirled her around with finger pirouettes. Wild and crazy stuff.

While that was going on, Astaire and Rogers were dancing in the movies together with slow and rapid footwork around the floor and with occasional lifts (not carried) to the music, and most important with an endearing rapport with each other. Really beautiful.

Most dance teams today imitate the former scenario while a few like (D&L; the Kerrs, and of course, T&D), go for the Astaire and Rogers method.

I prefer the latter scenario, but you can pick the former. We just have different tastes.

Joe

Joe, do you think those adagio acts developed because some of the stages in the night clubs were so tiny? The last time I saw Paris I took in a club where the ceiling was so low that the guy had to crouch down into a deep kneebend to lift the lady over his head. :laugh:

This was followed by a father-daughter roller-skating act. The stage was about 6 feet round, so their whole act was, they spun around facing each other holding two hands, then when they built up enough speed they would do a lift or some other trick. Great fun! :agree:

MM :)

rain

Record Breaker
Just had to chime in with how much I love this program as well. I was absolutely charmed by it when I saw it on the broadcast of Skate Canada. The strength in it lies in their rapport during it, the beautiful build and feel of it, and the fact that it's not a series of tricks and elements, but rather a beautiful whole. I honestly don't know that they have much of a chance to medal, what with ice dancing being the way it is and a number of other teams ranked ahead of them, but it would be a welcome surprise. This season I think the certainly deserve it. They look better than ever.