US JR. Nat'ls on CN8 -WATCH IT!!!! | Golden Skate

US JR. Nat'ls on CN8 -WATCH IT!!!!

JOHIO2

Medalist
I forgot to post this earlier, but then, I also forgot to WATCH this earlier, Comcast (CN8) is covering this year's Junior National Championships. This week was the first of three programs from Colorado. The second installment will be this coming week, Sun. Dec. 18th. If you get Comcast on your cable, check your local listings. But cable-less people, you can watch the program on the internet via streaming video at CN8 (again, check CN8 schedule). They usually air the program on Sunday evening at 10pm and re-run on Saturday at 6pm.

http://www.cn8.tv/channel/channelhome.asp?lChannelID=660

scroll down to go to schedule.

to watch live feed:
http://www.cn8.tv/channel/article.asp?lArticleID=4664&lChannelID=604&subhead=cn8live

Last edited:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Intermediate Dance and Men's Final

Nancy Kerrigan and Comcast's Lou Tilley do the commentary.

This week, they showed the first of three shows on the US Junior National Champ. We were treated to seeing some of the upcoming talented competitors in Intermediate Dance and Intermediate Men.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=26227

If you've never watched the lower level skaters, you are in for a treat. The dance gold medal went to a brother and sister team, Maia and Alex Shibutani. A tiny but talented team. Hey, you could be watching them go for gold at the Olympics one year and you can say - "I've been following them since they were just the intermediate US champs."
The men's champ was Ross Miner.

This upcoming week - who knows what future champs you'll see from the US Junior ranks?

(I don't know if they will reshow the first installment, but I'm pretty sure you can catch the competition at the USFSA site on their skating channel/archives. $)

You'll be amazed at the competition level of these youngsters and can pick out the future stars to follow up the ranks. What could be better?

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
I just happened to come across this today was bored and just flipping channels. What has me confused is don't the juniors compete in St.Louis also? or is this something competely different.
I knew I got the channel but it's the first time I've seen skating on it.

I watched a little bit of it, but honestly, I couldn't stand Nancy's commentating......so I tuned out....I was impressed by the small-in-stature, young brother and sister dance team, tho.

I don't understand that it's Jr. Nationals. Won't I be seeing that in St. Louis?

Maybe you mean Jr. Grand Prix?

Joe

I don't recall it being called "Nationals" but Nancy kept saying "this is like the Nationals for them(the Jr's)"...I don't recall hearing Grand Prix mentioned either, but it could've been. I didn't watch for long, we ended up going to look at Christmas lights!

Jhar55

Medalist
Not sure what is was called but when they would show results it siad Jr. Nationals on the side. But they were also saying they were intermeatites?
It was just nice to see a change of skaters that are starting out and giving it their best. :clap:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I don't understand that it's Jr. Nationals. Won't I be seeing that in St. Louis?

Maybe you mean Jr. Grand Prix?

Joe

"Junior Nationals" is for the levels up until Novice. "Senior Nats" is what's in St. Louis and is actually for Novice, Jr. and Senior.

Did anybody tape this? Could I get a copy maybe? My bro's coach has some skaters that made it to Jr. Nats. I'm sure he'd (bro) would like to see their skates as well.

JOHIO2

Medalist
"Seniors," "Juniors" and "Novices" compete at Senior Nationals in St. Louis next month. These are lower level skills tested (and usually younger - someone once explained to me that kids at comparable skill levels compete against each other, except at club level where a level will be grouped by age in larger events. Don't want the 6 yr old competing against the 10 yr old, even if they have passed same test.), skaters at intermediate and juvenile skating levels. Nancy explained how this comp is a fairly recent addition to the competitive fs world. Past decade or so? (experts - help!) The word "junior" confuses the issue some.

This comp was several weeks ago in Colorado.

OK, maybe it isn't officially called "nationals," but the effect is the same. This is the big deal for those younger skaters. I love seeing these younger skaters because they are just plain fun to watch when on, even without some of the more advanced "tricks" and skills. And you'll see flashes of the future. These kids might struggle with some aspects of the level they're skating, but that is true of the elite levels too. And it is encouraging to watch them dust themselves off and go on to the next element. I think it shows you how long and how hard these youngsters work at skating long before we see them on ABC and the US Nat'l podium.

Besides, some of these kids will be moving along to novice, jr and sr levels before you know it and it is just great to watch them develop and be able to claim that you've been "watching" them since they were even a blip on other fans' radar.

JOHIO2

Medalist
childfreegirl,
I wish I could record and send these, but I don't have the right software (hint, hint for Xmas. Right, as if my kids would think of getting it for me. Altho my daughter and son-in-law DID give me money to gamble at Atlantic City for my birthday before Skate America. :clap: Guess I shouldn't complain. Especially since my son put together this computer that can actually let me watch the live feed and the vids from the various sites. :rock: )

Reminder to those who can watch CN8 - the program comes on at 10 pm. Since we saw men's intermed and dance intermed last week, we could be seeing ladies and pairs tonight??????

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Didn't realize this was even televised either....

I just noticed that Tivo caught it! Can't wait to watch this.

DG

gkelly

Record Breaker
The official name of this event is the U.S. Junior Figure Skating Championships, often referred to as "Junior Nationals" just as the U.S. Figure Skating Championships are called Nationals.

It was originally called Juvenile/Intermediate Nationals which is the most accurate representation, and in between it was known as "Junior Olympics."

The regular national championships has existed since about the 1920s for junior, senior, and (since the 1930s) novice skaters.

The separate national championship for juvenile and intermediate skaters has existed since 1991.

The word "junior" is confusing because it's used for two different meanings in the different contexts.

There are upper age limits for juvenile and intermediate competition at the qualifying level, but everyone who's eligible to enter regionals at those levels gets seeded into qualifying groups if necessary (ladies and occasionally intermediate men) without regard to age, or all competitors go into the same group.

Nonqualifying club competitions may or may not break up events at these or lower levels by age if there are enough entries to warrant doing so. At the juvenile test level they pretty much always would, with the teenagers' version of that level being called "Open Juvenile."

JOHIO2

Medalist
thanx, gkelly, for explaining better than i could!

childfreegirl, the competition is available (for a price) at the usfsa site. the new fs "channel" should have all the skaters in each category, so you should be able to see the locals. i'm planning to watch the sectionals for naomi nari nam and her partner as i am so curious about them.

when i watched sunday's broadcast online, i had alot of freezing and stuff, along with the msg about line congestion. does that mean there are alot of people watching these broadcasts? the bummer is, the rerun is xmas eve and most of us have plans. still to come is pt. 3. wonder who'll be featured there? i really enjoyed seeing the intermediates. for anyone who hasn't seen these comps, the intermediates are doing an astounding number of elements at a level you've gotta see.

gr8fulmkfan

Spectator
Hi, I don't usually post here, but

I wanted to share this information with others whose Comcast doesn't carry CN8. After searching Comcast for this station several times, I saw that CN8 wasn't there. I was happily surprised when this competition (filled with talented and delightful 12 year olds) appeared on my TV on Channel 41 (called(CSS) by Comcast in my neck of the woods. Apparently CN8 isn't the only fish in the sea, and It is well-worth checking for CSS instead!

Happy holidays!
gr8fulmkfan

childfreegirl said:
"Junior Nationals" is for the levels up until Novice. "Senior Nats" is what's in St. Louis and is actually for Novice, Jr. and Senior.

Did anybody tape this? Could I get a copy maybe? My bro's coach has some skaters that made it to Jr. Nats. I'm sure he'd (bro) would like to see their skates as well.
I have tickets for the Nationals and among them there are tickets for Junion Men and Junior Ladies, Junior Pairs and Junior Dance. There are also tickets for Novice and Senior events. None for Intermediate.

So what was going on during that TV show?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
So what was going on during that TV show?
There were two 1-hour shows that covered the U.S. "Junior" (Intermediate & Juvenile level) National Championships, held Nov. 30-Dec. 3 in Westminster, Colorado. -- the first show featured the top Intermediate Men and Dance teams and the 2nd show featured the top Intermediate Ladies and Pairs.

The relevant USFS article/press release on the cable TV coverage is at:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=32222
(with all the regional cable TV stations and additional air dates listed)

USFS' event page for 2006 Juvenile/Intermediate Nationals with all results/photos/articles:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=26227