Is Irina Really A Nice Person? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Irina Really A Nice Person?

Mafke

Medalist
"Punching someone in the chest and calling them a piece of %$!# seems rude in any culture or language."

Part of the point of the story is that he was a lot bigger and stronger, but she wasn't intimidated by his size because in terms of personality, she was a lot bigger and stronger.

"Well behaved women rarely make history."

I couldn't agree more.

qoo

Rinkside
I'd say she's a great athlete. She's always well prepared and executes wonderful performance in just about every events she's in. She's the queen on the ice... she always come across as a really nice cheerful person to me.:rock:

mzheng

Record Breaker
I agree what DinDonShamu@FSU said:

I just want to point out that you cannot judge a person by how she treats her equals or those who are just fans who adores her skating. What shows her true character is how she treats her inferiors who are also pursuing the same path as she is.

Kwan101

Rinkside
I fully agree with DinDonShamu as well. Irina has tons of charisma and personality and her smile lights up a room. I love to watch her skate.

But charisma and personality is not the same thing as being a considerate person. I once volunteered for a politician that everybody loved- had all the charisma in the world. Everyone thought he was a great guy. But I saw that behind the scenes, when no cameras were rolling, he was arrogant and dismissive of his volunteers. Except when cameras or journalists were present, then he'd be charming again. I soon quit his campaign and didn't vote at all in the election.

This article about Irina reminds me of that- every time the cameras are rolling she's as sweet as can be, but that doesn't speak to this other side she showed in yelling at the litle girl skater, belitting the rink manager, and then saying truly nasty and arrogant things to the boy skater, and then seemingly being proud of it, like it was nothing wrong.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Part of the point of the story is that he was a lot bigger and stronger, but she wasn't intimidated by his size because in terms of personality, she was a lot bigger and stronger.

Of course she wasn't. intimidated He was 15 and in the hierarchy of the rink she was in the position of power. You can bet there were people present who had her back. Now if she wants to show how brave she is try thumping Michin(sp?) or Tarosova. Bullying a child is nothing to be proud of.

soogar

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Of course she wasn't. intimidated He was 15 and in the hierarchy of the rink she was in the position of power. You can bet there were people present who had her back. Now if she wants to show how brave she is try thumping Michin(sp?) or Tarosova. Bullying a child is nothing to be proud of.

From what I read about Mishin, he isn't above "pulling a ponytail or two" if something isn't done right in training camp/seminar. And TAT is a very tough person as well.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kwan101, I agree what you said.

On one side ppl could say Russian cultural may be just more directive than American, and cheering for Irina's 'honesty'. While criticizing American femal skater pretence not honesty in public. But who is there to say the "sweet" answers they give not the 'honesty' ones?

This is first time I read the story. Which remind me what's I heard about Kwan's on ice behavious just opsite. I know I'm labled as a Kwan fan, it might not be as credible from me. But I share it anyway.

When TT came to EWIP work with MK, at first they were not working in private sessions. But there was this boy, skating around the rink, jumps, spins, etc. having no awearness where he was around. MK (though you can say it was her own rink) never said anything to the boy......But TT was really anoyed, asked for private sessions......The samething happened when RA went to there gave her lessons. MK never ever said anything to the boy, RA "I'm an only geust there. If she diddn't say thing. It is not proper for me to dicspline the kid."........ Had the similar thing happened at Lake Arrowhead, you bet RA would say something to the boy or his coach......you know from these incidents, you could kind tell in Russia MAYBE they take granted that the inferio/lowlevel skaters should give way to the ones with more "status".....But that doesn't mean you, as a "star" shouldn't be graciouse about it.

Just like you, I had always been charmed with IS's "bubling" personality on TV screen until 2002 SLC and thereafter I start to read FS board. There have been translated Russian articles by fans through years....with all those words I saw she said in front of TV screen and quoted in the articles, too many times to be labled as "missunderstod in english.", "cultural influence", etc.....Yeah, yeah I know as a figure skating fan, you shouldn't judge skaters by their personality you shall judge skaters by their skating. But fans are human beings, not the judges, living in a community with certain cultural and manner, which certainly influence your viewing. Just like ppl chose/prefer which skaters through nationality bias..... I just can't bring myself as a 'fan' of her. Though in some case I can still enjoy some of her programs, just like I enjoy Sasha's skating every time see her on ice. But they don't "move" me.

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's something that's telling. In a recent interview, Irina spoke of Michelle Kwan and how they were good friends. She particularly mentioned that Michelle never got upset with people and was always pleasant.

I inferred from that that Irina herself DOES get upset with people and when she does, she isn't always pleasant. And the SI article illustrates exactly that.

I

JanJam

Rinkside
Excuses, excuses. She's a brat with a bloated sense of entitlement, plain and simple.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
One can't help but think that this sort of publicity isn't concocted by rivals, in an attempt to show that their princess is not the worst diva on the ice. C'mon, since when has Irina had a reputation for nasty behavior? I don't believe this article for one second. Nothing but hearsay.

Kwan101

Rinkside
Frau Muller said:
One can't help but think that this sort of publicity isn't concocted by rivals, in an attempt to show that their princess is not the worst diva on the ice. C'mon, since when has Irina had a reputation for nasty behavior? I don't believe this article for one second. Nothing but hearsay.

It's your choice whether to believe it, but Sports Illustrated is the most respected sports magazine in the USA and Irina could have sued them if they made it up. And their reporter was right there at the skating rink when the first two tantrums happened and was in a car talking to Irina when she described the third incident. By those standards, every magazine article ever written is "hearsay."

Seems to me there is some outright denial out there among Irina fans. It's actually getting kind of bizarre. No doubt Irina fans think it's a grand conspiracy among Sports Illustrated, the reporter who quoted Irina at the GPF, with us Michelle fans backing the whole sordid mess financially no doubt.

The simple fact of the matter is that Michelle has shown graciousness in her defeats (after Olympics, hugging Irina and obviously being happy for her after 2002 worlds) and Irina often sulks and complains about judging after her major losses. Irina is great, as long as things are going her way. But that's not how you judge character.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Kwan101, I agree what you said.

On one side ppl could say Russian cultural may be just more directive than American, and cheering for Irina's 'honesty'. While criticizing American femal skater pretence not honesty in public. But who is there to say the "sweet" answers they give not the 'honesty' ones?

This is first time I read the story. Which remind me what's I heard about Kwan's on ice behavious just opsite. I know I'm labled as a Kwan fan, it might not be as credible from me. But I share it anyway.

When TT came to EWIP work with MK, at first they were not working in private sessions. But there was this boy, skating around the rink, jumps, spins, etc. having no awearness where he was around. MK (though you can say it was her own rink) never said anything to the boy......But TT was really anoyed, asked for private sessions......The samething happened when RA went to there gave her lessons. MK never ever said anything to the boy, RA "I'm an only geust there. If she diddn't say thing. It is not proper for me to dicspline the kid."........ Had the similar thing happened at Lake Arrowhead, you bet RA would say something to the boy or his coach......you know from these incidents, you could kind tell in Russia MAYBE they take granted that the inferio/lowlevel skaters should give way to the ones with more "status".....But that doesn't mean you, as a "star" shouldn't be graciouse about it.

Just like you, I had always been charmed with IS's "bubling" personality on TV screen until 2002 SLC and thereafter I start to read FS board. There have been translated Russian articles by fans through years....with all those words I saw she said in front of TV screen and quoted in the articles, too many times to be labled as "missunderstod in english.", "cultural influence", etc.....Yeah, yeah I know as a figure skating fan, you shouldn't judge skaters by their personality you shall judge skaters by their skating. But fans are human beings, not the judges, living in a community with certain cultural and manner, which certainly influence your viewing. Just like ppl chose/prefer which skaters through nationality bias..... I just can't bring myself as a 'fan' of her. Though in some case I can still enjoy some of her programs, just like I enjoy Sasha's skating every time see her on ice. But they don't "move" me.

Oh here we go again, the saint/sinner threads...

Look, I'll be the first to say that I don't really care for Irina. Especially her comments in interviews regarding her views on America (esp when she make a nice chunk of change skating for American audiences on COI).

I think Russians have a completely different idea of sharing ice time than Americans. Remember that only now is Russia starting to embrace the concept of recreational skating (with Maria's Butyrskaya's school in Moscow). Before (and even now), skating was just reserved for the kids with talent. There was no concept of sharing the ice with a recreational skater. In the US it is very different. High level skaters are used to sharing the ice with recreational skaters. Tim skates at Audrey's rink and does his triples and quads on a session with kids practicing. Sasha shares her time with other skaters of different levels. In the US, if you pay for the ice time, you have every right to be on that ice. It doesn't surprise me that Michelle wouldn't say anything to a little kid who *paid* for the ice time to skate at *her* rink. This is her family's business. Part of the appeal of that facility is skating on ice with Michelle Kwan.

It's the same thing with training. There is a Russian mentality (as evidenced by Lobacheva's interview a while back) that only the very talented and best are entitled to training. Also as part of the Soviet sports machine, only the best athletes got all the privileges and were the top of the pecking order. Irina's attitude that the kid was messing up with her ice fits right into that.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Oh here we go again, the saint/sinner threads...

It's the same thing with training. There is a Russian mentality (as evidenced by Lobacheva's interview a while back) that only the very talented and best are entitled to training. Also as part of the Soviet sports machine, only the best athletes got all the privileges and were the top of the pecking order. Irina's attitude that the kid was messing up with her ice fits right into that.

What ever :cool: . Talked like you had been to Russian for several years.
I said very clear in my post, I've considering those cutural influence already. But graciouse and manner of human being shouldn't be that difference in different cutural.......Just don't expect for me to cheer for skaters having those behavious....Here we are disscussion if a "nice" person.

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm sort of glad this article was posted. I've never read it before (thanks, BTW) but I've read similar articles where Irina was less than approachable. This is the major reason I don't like her.

Now, ANYONE can put on a fake smile and be all bubbly and cheery to the media. But this doesn't say one peep about their true personality. Now, I will take honesty over "ice princess" behavior, but not bitterness, and IMO Irina seems to have a lot of that. Just my opinion, though. Other people think she's nice and bubbly and that's fine. But I don't buy her play for one moment.

Same goes for anyone else, actually- can never tell from their on-air personality. Someone has to report from backstage.

JMHO.

soogar

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
What ever :cool: . Talked like you had been to Russian for several years.
I said very clear in my post, I've considering those difference already. Just don't expect for me to cheer for skaters having those behavious....Here we are disscussion if a "nice" person.

I don't need to be in Russia for a few years. I know how they are b/c of some of the attitudes they express on the ice I skate on.

You make Kwan sharing the ice with a small boy to be some act of graciousness on her part. There's nothing special about what she did, it is the norm in the US. But of course she's the "Kween" so she is a saint and beyond reproach. While I'm sure Michelle is a nice person, she is a human being and by no means perfect. She is also in the public eye and her endorsements depend on her having a squeaky clean image.

As for Irina, I tend to believe people are somewhere in the middle. That SI article painted that rink as a dark and dreary place with ugly, colorless people surrounding it. Writers tend to depict events from their viewpoint. Maybe Irina playfully punched the boy and maybe the 10 year old girl was playing her music all day (like a girl did at my rink) and Irina was fed up of it. Or maybe Irina is a b!tch when she's on the rag or when things aren't going her way. Or Irina is really nice in real life but turns into a bully when she is on the ice. Or Irina is an evil person... but what would that make Michelle since they hang around so frequently on the COI tour? Is Michelle hoping to change Irina, or could it be that she (gasp!) actually likes Irina and that they have a lot in common? Many skaters like Irina, and Ilia Klimkin even said in an interview that he was the closest to her and she brought him food (this was Irina's version) when he was recovering in the hospital.

RD: Irina probably is bitter. But it seems to me that many Russian skaters come across as bitter and American hating in their Russian interviews. I think that sense of drama is expected by the Russian media and heaven forbid that a skater say that he/she likes America (though props to TT and MM for finally admitting in an interview that they like life in America).

R.D.

Record Breaker
You make Kwan sharing the ice with a small boy to be some act of graciousness on her part. There's nothing special about what she did, it is the norm in the US. But of course she's the "Kween" so she is a saint and beyond reproach. While I'm sure Michelle is a nice person, she is a human being and by no means perfect. She is also in the public eye and her endorsements depend on her having a squeaky clean image.

EXACTLY. Took the words right from my (keyboard?). There's just NO WAY of knowing. Now, maybe MK really is "gracious" or "sweet" or whatever, but just based on that one act- you can never tell.

With Irina- one could say the same thing and say you can't really tell from that episode but clearly if you read Russian press and American press you will see two Irinas. One is bubbly, cheerful, nice, the other seems bitter, combative, and angry. I'm not saying she doesn't have a nice side, though- the way she is caring for her mother shows some compassion on her part.

RD: Irina probably is bitter. But it seems to me that many Russian skaters come across as bitter and American hating in their Russian interviews. I think that sense of drama is expected by the Russian media and heaven forbid that a skater say that he/she likes America (though props to TT and MM for finally admitting in an interview that they like life in America)

Apparently in skating circles, the Cold War hasn't ended quite yet. :cool:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
soogar said:
It's the same thing with training. There is a Russian mentality (as evidenced by Lobacheva's interview a while back) that only the very talented and best are entitled to training.
I don't think that's what she said. I remember her saying that she didn't want to teach the less talented kids. I wouldn't have wanted some of my college professors, who had the social skills and patience of toads, teaching in an elementary school, and most of my elementary school teachers would have been miserable teaching junior high school.

Spirit

On the Ice
You know what I heard?

I heard that Irina Slutskaya secretly dresses up in a mask and cape and fights crime at night in the back alleys of Moscow. Thousands of people are protected from the scum of the earth by Irina...aka Nighthawke (TM).

I also heard that several years ago, she came up against an evil archfiend named Birdbeak (TM). (The name loses something in translation; it sounds really badass in Russian.)

Birdbeak drowned kittens for fun, pushed over elderly people on the sidewalk, and conspired with Didier Gailhaguet to fix skating competitions. No matter how hard she tried, Nighthawke could not catch Birdbeak. She would always arrive at the scene of the crime moments after Birdbeak had fled without a trace, only to discover that the fiend had left her a note, mocking her inability to stop her.

Well, Irina went nuts. Vasculitis? No, that was just her cover story. The real scoop is that Irina threw herself headlong into a battle royale, pitting brain and brawn against the dastardly Birdbeak...only to discover, finally, the reason why she could not catch the villain. And the truth was worse than she could ever have imagined.

Irina herself was Birdbeak.

The stress of winning world championships, losing the Olympics to a 16-year-old, and fighting crime had taken its cruel toll. Irina had a split personality. One half of her was noble and willing to risk her life daily to help those in need. The other half rebelled against all of that, and when that half took over, Irina would commit terrible crimes, never to remember them after waking up from her trance.

I can't really tell you what happened after that. My subscription ran out, and I moved house, so I haven't been able to find issues #18-20. I have issue #21, but I don't want to read it out of order. But the artwork on the cover of #21 does hint that Birdbeak tries to break away from Irina permanently by creating a clone and then occupying the clone's body, even if that means Irina will die when she leaves. Gosh, I can't wait!

Oh, and a friend of mine hinted that Michelle actually knows all about Irina's secret identity (Both identities? I'm not sure.), but instead of telling anyone, Michelle becomes her sidekick and makes all of her technological gadgets.

But that's just a rumor.

More when I hear it.

Sabrine Tornston

Spectator
It's amazing what length some people will go to in order to dig up some dirt on skater X, or skater Y, or skater Z. Irina is a lovely person respected by fans and fellow competitors. Why do this?

Kwan101

Rinkside
Sabrine Tornston said:
It's amazing what length some people will go to in order to dig up some dirt on skater X, or skater Y, or skater Z. Irina is a lovely person respected by fans and fellow competitors. Why do this?

Because this is a skating discussion board and several people have expressed interest in the topic recently of whether Irina is a bad sport. The great thing about threads is that you only have to click on the ones you find interesting. No need to jump in and lecture others on which on-topic aspects of skating they like to discuss. And a Sports Illustrated article that was on google was hardly some great research project.

Plus, if a celebrity is hypocritical by acting sweet in public but acts differently to the "little people" then I don't at all mind seeing them exposed for it.

Last edited: