Is Irina Really A Nice Person? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Irina Really A Nice Person?

mzheng

Record Breaker
soogar said:
You make Kwan sharing the ice with a small boy to be some act of graciousness on her part. There's nothing special about what she did, it is the norm in the US. But of course she's the "Kween" so she is a saint and beyond reproach. While I'm sure Michelle is a nice person, she is a human being and by no means perfect. She is also in the public eye and her endorsements depend on her having a squeaky clean image.

The thing was both TT and RA see it's inproper of the boy running around the rink not awearing where he was or where the others were. While MK said nothing about. Remember both TT and RA have been coaching on US ice for how many years?....Not just because of she is the Kween..She is just being herself....yes she is human being. I never consider her otherwise. I never said she is perfect.....I see what she display is what better human being behavious, it may be just me.

Plus, if a celebrity is hypocritical by acting sweet in public but acts differently to the "little people" then I don't at all mind seeing them exposed for it.
Had Kwan displayed this type of behavious in past 10 years, don't you think it has long be reported by some medias.

Last edited by a moderator:

dfj

On the Ice
I have to say that all of this sounds just a little holier-than-thou. What a judgmental bunch. None of you know Irina (or probably Michelle or others for that matter) and don't have a clue what their private lives have been. Petty, petty comments.

Okay, now I'll go back to my "give everyone a break" position.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Is Irina a nice person? The bottom line is that if you don't know her personally then you can only guess. So the question again, is Irina a nice person-
only she knows for sure:unsure:

Kwan101

Rinkside
dfj said:
I have to say that all of this sounds just a little holier-than-thou. What a judgmental bunch.

I've never told anybody they were "nothing ... sh*t" and it's especially inexcusable to say that if that person is a vulnerable kid who never did anything to you. If saying that makes me "holier than thou" then I guess that's what I am.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The odd thing was that Irina didn't seem the least bit embarrassed by the reporter observing her behavior in the rink. That leads me to believe she doesn't see anything wrong with the way she was acting. She almost seemed proud of it. And that right there, gave me pause.

dfj

On the Ice
Kwan101 said:
I've never told anybody they were "nothing ... sh*t" and it's especially inexcusable to say that if that person is a vulnerable kid who never did anything to you. If saying that makes me "holier than thou" then I guess that's what I am.

Unless I am standing in that rink actually watching Irina, I have problems with this. I just don't believe everything I read.

Zanzibar said:
I don't know. I see all the time people doubting what quotes writers attribute to skaters or saying that perhaps the skater was misquoted, etc. - especially on the Russian skating boards - they tend to right away assume a lot of material is 'yellow journalism.' Truth is - 90% of the great stuff gets cut - either by the skater who says, 'Now - that's OFF the record' or by the editors at magazines and newspapers who are afraid to offend someone (being talked negatively about) because then they might lose a future interview, face a lawsuit - or just don't want to deal with an angry phone call from a publisher.

So, the 'truth' is, LOL, it's nearly impossible to 'get the truth' out there and instead what readers get is an extremely white-washed and watered-down version of reality, with none of the rough edges exposed. Not exactly a tragedy - after all, this isn't politics where we need to shine the harsh light of truth on things. But, with skating's sinking popularity, one can't help but imagine that if the authentic personalities of the sport were allowed to shine through (ala David Beckham, Lance Armstrong, etc., etc.) that perhaps the public would find skating - and skaters - more interesting.
An interesting take from a professional journalist, thanks, Z.

I think there is another factor at work, too. Figure skating is sort of a a niche assignment for sports writers. It seems to me that reporters who cover the figure skating beat have a genuine affection for the sport and the people in it. You never read an article that is truly critical of an individual skater, as you do of football and baseball players, for instance (Terell Owens comes to mind.)

Idleracer said:
I wonder if they measured her while she was wearing skates. Michelle Kwan is only 5'2, and clearly taller than her. Click HERE:

http://www.redlizardfilms.com/images/RLF-Champions_on_Ice2-422x281.jpg

Caption: "Michelle, Irina, for God's sake throw your shoulders back!"

MM

Kwan101

Rinkside
Mathman said:
You never read an article that is truly critical of an individual skater, as you do of football and baseball players, for instance (Terell Owens comes to mind.)

Irina is Mother Theresa compared to Terrell Owens.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My grandmother used to say "Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see". OTOH all we know of these skaters is usually at best second hand information. I still find it strange that posters who are perfect strangers to these people feel such a need to defend them. Since they are all only human (other than Kween Kwan who is perfect all of the time:p )they are sure to have good days and bad days like anyone else. If IS is a b&%*# on blades it doesn't take away from her skating achievments. After all her goal is an OGM not sainthood.

wvgal57

On the Ice
I still find it strange that posters who are perfect strangers to these people feel such a need to defend them

Well I find it strange that posters who are perfect strangers to Irina feel such a strong need to pass judgement on her based on newspapers articles which are notoriously wrong and many times deliberately spiced up.

If you don't know her you are not qualified to judge her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Best friends Irina and Michelle at the Marshall's Love-In, where the competitors get to vote for each other.

Why is the guy in the background turning away and covering his eyes?

http://www.dianesrink.com/mkga/pow/MKGA101.jpg

MM ;)

:laugh: Good one...

...and I dunno, btw- maybe he's just disgusted that Irina's trying to act all kind in front of the camera...he secretly knows that she actually despises MK, but won't say anything about it :p

Excidra2001

On the Ice
So now a four-five year old article sums up who the real Irina is? Didn't she get enough beating when this article first came out, I guess second's won't hurt anyone.
By the way the boy Irina supposedly "bullied" names Slutskaya as one of his role-models.I guess she beat him out of that one too..;)

I wonder if Nancy K is nice since she didn't care to show sympathy for the young orphan who beat her out for the gold medal.
I wonder if Butryskaya is a nice person since she thinks Kwan only wins on
NA-ice
I wonder if Sasha is nice?
Does Kwan respect other female skaters, since she doesn't say anything nice about them.
Is Excidra a nice person, since he hates couple of his class-mates for reasons I won't disclose.
[Sarcasm off]

R.D.

Record Breaker
Excidra2001 said:
So now a four-five year old article sums up who the real Irina is?

One knows very well there are plenty of NEWER articles out there where Irina is less than "nice".

By the way the boy Irina supposedly "bullied" names Slutskaya as one of his role-models.I guess she beat him out of that one too..;)

Quote from the kid, please?

Excidra2001 said:
Does Kwan respect other female skaters, since she doesn't say anything nice about them.
Kwan doesn't say anything or doing anything bad to other skaters. In fact, Kwan doesn't say anything. What she does is skate the best she can despite adversary and unlike Slutskaya fans she does not expect sympathy for health reasons.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
unlike Slutskaya fans she does not expect sympathy for health reasons.

But she gets it anyway. Look at Marshall's this past week.