Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Dragon Lady Skating Mothers

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    I must say that I am my own skate mom. At 33, I don't think that it would be fitting to drag my mom to practices...although, I love to skate with my mom when I go to visit. I think that I will make my own skate mom shirt: Robin's Skate Mom (that's me, and me)
    :D

Glacier
    Last edited by Glacierskater; 07-28-2003 at 01:28 PM.

Fan for Life

Re: Surya

Originally posted by RealtorGal
    I wonder what might have become of Surya had she obtained the services of a REAL coach and REAL choreographer rather than her manipulative, controlling mother, who was clearly devoid of any artistic sensibility whatsoever!
    I so agree! I often wondered the same thing, and was always a little embarrassed for Surya when the announcers would mention her mother's over involvement.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

The Dragon Lady skating mothers

SkateFan4Life:

Certainly there are and were such pushy "skating mothers" even when, I skated - I even new a couple. In fact, one skater was banned from skating at a club I skated at, because of her mother. Talk about ruining it for her daughter!

Yes, there are "skating moms" as we used to call them. These usually were the ones who were pushing their kids to get ahead in the competitive world of skating. My mom usually, tried to avoid the company of these ladies. They could even make her time at the rink miserable.

I think Peggy Flemming had a "skating mom" or dragon lady mother as you coined the phrase. She was pushy and used to drive her coaches crazy - from what I read.

Anyway, sometimes these mothers really don't do their kids any favours. If the kids don't make it in skating they end up hating skating. I don't think kids should be pushed to do things - but be allowed to enjoy it.

Ladskater

SkateFan4Life

Dragon Lady Skating Mothers

Peggy Fleming's mother made sure that her daughter attended every practice and was diligent about always skating her best. However, Peggy was plenty motivated - she has said on several interviews that "I always wanted to be the best skater on the ice.
    I wanted to perform the best jumps, the best spins, and look the best of all the skaters."

Tara Lipinski's mother was extremely anxious to promote her daughter as a future champion skater, so much so that she and her husband hired an agent for Tara when she was only 12 years old. Mrs. Lipinski literally put her life on hold for her daughter's skating career, as she and Tara moved about the country in search of the perfect coach, leaving dad in Houston. Tara's mom attended all of her practices, and was 100 percent devoted to her daughter's skating progress. I remember vividly a television profile of Tara just prior to the 1998 Olympics. It showed her mother patiently sitting in the ice rink while her daughter took her lessons and practiced. Mrs. Lipinski's expression was totally lacking in joy or happiness. She looked absolutely exhausted and drained. This is fun???

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    "I wonder what might have become of Surya had she obtained the services of a REAL coach and REAL choreographer rather than her manipulative, controlling mother, who was clearly devoid of any artistic sensibility whatsoever! "

Well, I don't know the complete history, but in 1991 when Surya burst on the scene she had a REAL coach (if Didier could be called such a thing) and a REAL choreographer and the gosssip about Suzanne had yet to reach the general public: Blechk!

Have you seen these early performances? Hideous. The designer 'Swan Lake' costume is still giving me nightmares! The only thing I found exciting about it was the quad attempt and Didier was very vocal that he was dead against it.

Anyone who thought she was lacking in 98 really should watch 91 and see the huge improvement.

Not for nothing, but didn't Surya only make the podium AFTER she ditched the REAL coach and choreographer?

SkateFan4Life

The Dragon Lady Skating Mothers

Tonya Harding's mother had a glacier-size chip on her shoulder, and her attitude problems spilled out all over the ice rink and at home.

Tonya's mom was quoted as saying, "No matter what I do, it's not good enough. The powers that be always criticize me because I'm not rich and don't own a fur coat when I attend skating competitions. I couldn't care less."

She even went so far as defend her verbal attacks on her daughter - "Tonya needs to be motivated. If you tell her she's doing well, she'll get lazy. I have to put her down so she'll fight back and skate well."

Egads!! :rolleyes:

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Apparently the abuse is a vicious cycle, because "Tonya needs to be motivated. If you tell her she's doing well, she'll get lazy. I have to put her down so she'll fight back and skate well." is the most accurate thing I've ever heard said about Tonya.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I don't doubt Peggy's enthusiasm to skate, but I understand her mother kept tight control of things - especially with her coach and made sure her daughter was his number one concern.

You know the old saying "behind every great man (or woman in this case) there is a woman!"

SkateFan4Life
    In the made-for-television movie, "Champions", the mother of the female pairs skater told the male member of the pair, "You and my daughter can compete together on the National level until you reach the point where you stop moving up the ranks. After that, you should turn professional. My daughter's name will always go before your name on the billing." If I recall this correctly, the mother gave this little spiel with a bit an attitude - actually a MAJOR attitude.

Fan for Life
    SkateFan,

Thank goodness someone else besides me remembers that movie! I can't believe it hasn't been shown again on Lifetime or TNT at some point, especially in an Olympic year. I don't think it's available on VHS or DVD. I thought it was a great movie, and I loved Jimmie McNichol in it. Do you remember who played the female lead?

SkateFan4Life
    Nan, as for the "Champions" movie, I think this one was a bit of a tear jerker, too. The guy either died or was physically unable to skate any longer, so his partner, now a solo skater, turned professional and became a star on the pro touring circuit.

Why do these movies have to require us to bring box of Kleenex?

Fan for Life
    Actually, he dies in a plane crash. I know, I wish they could just make a regular movie about figure skating. Why do they have to be so drama filled? The Cutting Edge was the only skating movie that didn't have someone with big drama and no one died.

I totally forgot about Champions until I read it here. I checked IMDB.COM and discovered that this was a made-for-TV movie. The description of the plot is minimal, but here's the link to the page.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0078951#comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2