Japanese Nationals 2005 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2005

sk8addict

On the Ice
Has anyone gotten the results? I see that they are complete but can't get my computer a 98 to translate?

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Quick thoughts, upon seeing the ladies' draw, going into the SP --

Oh, a very early draw for Mao Asada -- 3rd among 32 skaters. She'll be 'fresh' & have it over and done with early! :rock:

On the other hand (from the Mao point of view) - Even with the CoP system, the judges could (if they wish) manipulate the outcome via the TES scores, if someone skates cleanly. Could this hurt the earlier skaters?

Also noticed - Yukina Ota is not on the roster, is she? Has she dropped out of competitive skating or is she injured?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet, but I didn't notice any pairs on the link. Are there NO pairs competing in Japan, or did I just miss something?

DG

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Right - none on the link. They probably do not have enough elite-level teams in Japan at the moment. I'm not even sure that Japan participated in Karl Schaefer and/or earned a one-team berth to Turin. [UPDATE: I checked -- they were not at Schaefer. No Japanese pair going to Olys, I gather.]

Japan had a good world-class team a couple of years ago, Kawaguchi/Markuntsov, coached by Moskvina, but they disbanded after the 2003 Worlds. As a Russian, Markuntsov would not have been eligible for Olympics. I loved them at '03 Worlds, though. Sorry that they disbanded.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Now I'm really curious whether there is anything "grass roots" going on to build a pairs program. If anyone knows.....

Just curious,
DG

Sylvia

Record Breaker
FYI, Yuko Kawaguchi and Devin Patrick (USA), coached by Tamara Moskvina, were the only Senior Pairs entry at last year's Japanese Nationals and originally were going to represent Japan at NHK Trophy this fall, but they have since decided to skate for the USA and have qualified for 2006 US Nationals in St. Louis.

Frau Muller said:
Yukina Ota is not on the roster, is she? Has she dropped out of competitive skating or is she injured?
Reportedly, Ota is taking this entire season off to heal her (foot?) injury. Hopefully she will be back!

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
It sounds like the Ladies SP just ROCKED. Can't wait for results updates on the Japan web site and the videos to start going up. I hope they all hang tough for the LP. I hope the US Nats is filled with what sound like so many great skates!

Looks like top 6 after SP are:

Shiz
Fumie
Mao
Onda
Nakano
Ando

DG

Enero

On the Ice
I'm so happy for Arakawa! I hope she holds it together in the LP and win!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Oh My...

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/051224/kyodo/d8emmgno4.html

Oda initially declared the winner, but then had it taken away over a scoring error. According to a poster at FSU, the Japan Federation does not use the ISU COP software, but something they developed on their own to "mirror" the rules. But apparently the system doesn't have the same level of "error traps" which would have caught what sounds like a Zayak violation. How sad.

In better news, the videos of the Ladies are starting to go up at the skating video site. Mao looked good to me (consistent with her other performances this season) with the exception of popping her axel into a single. I wonder if she was attempting a 3A? Does anyone know off the top of their head whether ladies are allowed to do a 3A in the short, or are they limited to a 2A? I'm thinking a 3A would be allowed but I'm not 100% sure.

I love Fumie's program. One of the valid (IMO) complaints about some of the programs under COP is the choreography having little to do with the music - i.e. "it's time for footwork, so here goes, whether the music indicates that or not." I love how Fumie's music and choreo flow together - tempo changes that fit the moves (or the other way around LOL!). I'm so glad she had a great SP and I can't wait to see the others!!

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Love Shiz's changes to her SP!

I'm not sure if some of these evolved prior to now. After watching the Japan Nationals SP, I went back and watched the COC version. A couple comments:

* Glad she dropped the "I'm playing the violin now" arm movements.
* First spin looks much better now!!!!
* AWESOME changes to the spiral sequence IMO - more of a signature spiral with the COE (I? Y?) and then the "hands free" part with her leg still up there. IMO less "me too" than previous. Also I thought the changes to the spiral add more drama to the 2A right after the spiral.
* No more "stop in the middle" during the footwork
* LIke the little changes to the other spins as well.

I will be interested in what people think who know more about the elements technically than I do. And I can't wait to see the score sheets and levels of elements called. (although I suspect that things at any Nationals might get called more generously than at an international event, much as I hate to say that!)

Anyway, I think she totally rocked as a Diva!!! Hope they all do just as well (clean and well performed skates) in the LP! Great competition so far.

DG

CDMM1991

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/051224/kyodo/d8emmgno4.html

Oda initially declared the winner, but then had it taken away over a scoring error. According to a poster at FSU, the Japan Federation does not use the ISU COP software, but something they developed on their own to "mirror" the rules. But apparently the system doesn't have the same level of "error traps" which would have caught what sounds like a Zayak violation. How sad.

In better news, the videos of the Ladies are starting to go up at the skating video site. Mao looked good to me (consistent with her other performances this season) with the exception of popping her axel into a single. I wonder if she was attempting a 3A? Does anyone know off the top of their head whether ladies are allowed to do a 3A in the short, or are they limited to a 2A? I'm thinking a 3A would be allowed but I'm not 100% sure.

I love Fumie's program. One of the valid (IMO) complaints about some of the programs under COP is the choreography having little to do with the music - i.e. "it's time for footwork, so here goes, whether the music indicates that or not." I love how Fumie's music and choreo flow together - tempo changes that fit the moves (or the other way around LOL!). I'm so glad she had a great SP and I can't wait to see the others!!

DG

:cry:

Do we know how low in the standings this puts Oda?

CDMM1991

Medalist
What an amazing depth of competition! I watched Mao's older sister, and to think that a beautiful, clean short program can't even make the top six is unbelievable! Mao's 3f-3l was clean as a whistle! Wow! And it's so nice to see the two veterans on top.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
:cry:

Do we know how low in the standings this puts Oda?

I think second. So sad that there is only one Oly spot. Nationals results IIUC don't guarantee that anyway in Japan....but still. How devastating. The official results page hasn't been updated yet, but I think he lost between 7 & 8 points, which would I think keep him in Silver.

DG

CDMM1991

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
I think second. So sad that there is only one Oly spot. Nationals results IIUC don't guarantee that anyway in Japan....but still. How devastating. The official results page hasn't been updated yet, but I think he lost between 7 & 8 points, which would I think keep him in Silver.

DG

Ok, that's not too bad. But yes, so sad that they only have one spot :cry: These two have been so back and forth all season though, so I assumed they would just give it to whoever placed first at nationals. Oda won NHK, then Takahashi placed ahead at GPF, so we'll see ...

Doggygirl said:
To me, Lori Nichol is without peer or rival when it comes to the design of short programs. Every note of the music counts. :love:

MM :)