Who will Retire after the Olympics? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will Retire after the Olympics?

orchid

On the Ice
tripleflutz said:
Sasha will stay in the ISU ranks, unless she does very well this season, she'll need at least a US Nats Gold or World Gold AND an Olympic Medal to think about retirement. If she's ever going to win Worlds, this is the year, because in 2007 Mao will begin her reign. Sasha will compete again next season if she still hasn't won US Nats.

Mao can compete at the 2006 Worlds, provided that she is allowed on the Japanese world team.

Should Sasha make US-Nat & olympic team, I do believe she will peddle out of an appearance at the 2006 World's, thereby not having to skate behind Mao.

R.D.

Record Breaker
orchid said:
Mao can compete at the 2006 Worlds, provided that she is allowed on the Japanese world team.

Are you sure? I thought I read a quote from the Japanese fed somewhere saying that this seaosn was to prepare her for her full-season debut at senior worlds (or something like that) next year (2007).

What about Sasha's retirement after the Olympics? (This is just to get the topic back to retirement of all skaters.) However, RD, why not start a thread on Sasha's Chances for gold at the US Nats. It will get 15 pages.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I think Sasha is likely to retire if she wins a Nats championship, and wins any medal at the O's.
If she just gets silver at Nats, I'm betting she will try one more time next year with Michelle out of the way. I don't see her staying in any longer than that though.

Enero

On the Ice
orchid said:

According to FSU Mao was not selected for the 2006 Worlds team. So that means she'll have to wait til next year to win Worlds.:)

scuttlebutt99

Rinkside
Posted by Red Dog
Yes + Kwan not in top shape = everybody thinks so = more pressure on Cohen = she'll fall!

Wishful thinking.

R.D.

Record Breaker
However, RD, why not start a thread on Sasha's Chances for gold at the US Nats. It will get 15 pages.

There's practically ALREADY one- several in fact- it would be pretty redundant at this point to start another one :biggrin:

I think it's been beaten to death already- for goodness sake we KNOW Cohen's a shoo-in for gold :rolleye: just wait until someone else bursts through the door Cohen opens :laugh:

soogar

Record Breaker
Why would Sasha stay in another year for a National title of all things? As a viewer, I don't really care if a skater has won a National title. Jill Trenary won several National titles and it's not as if I would want to see her skate over Sasha Cohen. Sarah didn't win any national titles, but the only people who really care about it are the MK fans who want to denigrate Sarah's Olympic win. If Sasha doesn't win a national title but manages to win an Olympi medal of any color, she would probably retire and ride the crest of fame for an ice show career. Sticking it out for another year just to win a national title in a hopefully depleted field, and then lose worlds (or worse fail to place) would just erase whatever momentum she will get from the Olympic games and is probably not worth it.

Sasha has been battling injury and trying to stay healthy for years. She's dieted herself into a stick figure of nothing but bones and muscle. I can't imagine the toll competition is taking on her psyche and body. She (like MK) doesn't have to prove anything to anyone other than herself. The only way I see Sasha staying in for another year is if the USFS gives her a very lucrative contract/appearance fees. She's not going to stay in purely for a National title.

Enero said:
According to FSU Mao was not selected for the 2006 Worlds team. So that means she'll have to wait til next year to win Worlds.:)
Mao is not eligible to compete in 2006 Worlds because she is too young. Same rule as for the Olympics. (Unless, of course, our 12-page thread on this topic persuades Speedy to change the rule. ;) )

MM :)