11. Gryazev
12. Kondakov
13. Borodulin
14. Smirnov
15. Leushin
16. Sheplonov
17. Mikhailov
18. Rozanov

I am totally :scratch: on how Magerovsky ended up that high, but I looked up the notes and he seemed to be clean. Still most of the other results are equally :scratch:

Detalied report tomorrow

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Anna, thank you so much for all your wonderful reports. The play-by-play and commentary really gives us a sense of the performances :rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Griazev is toast. Under 6.0, you can't come back from 11th to 2nd place, even if you win the competition.

He seems to be a very inconsistent skater--he was 9th in the SP and 10th in the FS at Skate Canada, then won the SP and finished 3rd in the FS at Cup of China, for a bronze medal finish.

Kasey

Medalist
The Japanese federation is sending a lady skater who finished 6th at Nationals, based more on reputation and marketability than any performances on the GP circuit this year (Ando). You think the Russian federation is above sending Griazev over Magerovsky, Dobrin, Uspenski, should he manage to pull up to fifth or sixth after the long program?

Shanti

On the Ice
Sorry to disappoint you, but I think they would choose Klimkin if he skates a decent LP.

Kasey

Medalist
Shanti said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but I think they would choose Klimkin if he skates a decent LP.

Yeah, I would think/hope so also. But if Klimkin and whoever else goes to Euros crashes and burns? I could see it happening. Hopefully Klimkin will have a great competition.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
After Johnny had his Nationals disaster, he had to work hard to prove himself. Griazev would need to do the same if he were to ever come back to elite sport.

jesslily

Final Flight
Griazev placed high at SA or SC I don't remember. But his humps and skating were very sluggish, and he is still a JR level skater.

Kasey

Medalist
He crashed and burned at Skate Canada, he placed third at Cup of China after leading with the short program. Not bad for a "junior skater".

Mafke

Medalist
Kasey said:
He crashed and burned at Skate Canada, he placed third at Cup of China after leading with the short program. Not bad for a "junior skater".

Placements aside, what I've seen of him, his carriage and basic stroking seem really juniorish, right down to apparently forgetting his program and doing the same element three times in a row at last years Europeans (or was that worlds?) I forget the exact details (maybe it wasn't three times) but TT did not look pleased.

Oh, and go Klimkin! (aka the Russian skater who's really interesting to watch)

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I actually think Griazev has all of the necessary skills - watch him doing program run-throughs at practice and it's evident, which is why he seems to have such high respect from other top skaters. Yet, he does have a habit (whether it's nerves, injury, whatever) of not being able to consistently display those skills on the senior level. This is very disappointing if they do not send him to Euros and Torino.

Kasey

Medalist
Mafke said:
Placements aside, what I've seen of him, his carriage and basic stroking seem really juniorish, right down to apparently forgetting his program and doing the same element three times in a row at last years Europeans (or was that worlds?) I forget the exact details (maybe it wasn't three times) but TT did not look pleased.

Having seen both programs from Euros, and both from worlds last year, I have no clue what you mean by this. Can you clarify?

Oh, and I like Klimkin as well, so will be happy with at least one skater going on this season.

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
Oh! I hope Griazev pulls up in the long:cry: ! I've seen him during some of his best performances, and I really enjoy his skating. Meanwhile, I'm very pleased with Sasha Uspenski and Sergei Dobrin:clap: . If either of them get third, we may be able to see them at Euros :biggrin:

Mafke

Medalist
Kasey said:
Having seen both programs from Euros, and both from worlds last year, I have no clue what you mean by this. Can you clarify?

Not from memory, I'd have to go back to the tapes (maybe it was 2 years ago?), but he repeated an element (3ax?) in a way that meant he'd lose points (i think it was a 3ax in combination and twice by itself?). It was one of the more bizarre things I'd seen and definitely gave the impression that he'd gotten lost and/or was improvising. I think Arakawa did something similar in the SP at 98 oly's - just kind of skating around for a while looking lost (or maybe that was what she had for choreography then).
Anyway that was the only impression he'd ever made on me (besides some really gawdy costumes).

IceCrystal

Rinkside
I think I know what you mean:
It was at Worlds 2004, he planned a 3a-3t-combo, but did a 3a-2t. His next element was a solo 3a but he tried to combine it with a 3t and doubled it again.