Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Up Close and Personal" Television Bios

SkateFan4Life
    Well, I'm sure that NBC is scrambling to update its "Up Close and Personal" piece on Belbin and Agosto, now that Tanith has her United States citizenship. That would be one bio I would love to see - the odyssey it took for her to finally become an American citizen.

Of course, if they start yakking about her favorite movies, ice cream, etc., I'm lunging for the mute button.

Custom Title
    I agree that bios are overdone and repeated like crazy, and it's a shame when they take away from other skaters' time. This discussion actually reminds me of ESPN's GP Final coverage. They decided to take extra time at the end and show the female medalists on the podium, but what was the sacrifice? No Sokolova long program. She was completely ignored. It's an interesting trade-off that suits some people and displeases others.

Overall, figure skating coverage is definitely better this season than last, especially with all the short programs. So I won't complain too much.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Well, I'm sure that NBC is scrambling to update its "Up Close and Personal" piece on Belbin and Agosto, now that Tanith has her United States citizenship. That would be one bio I would love to see - the odyssey it took for her to finally become an American citizen.

Of course, if they start yakking about her favorite movies, ice cream, etc., I'm lunging for the mute button.
    It does seem like there's been a new piece on Tanith's citizenship woes every competition! There's sure to be a new one for US Nationals.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    I agree that bios are overdone and repeated like crazy, and it's a shame when they take away from other skaters' time. This discussion actually reminds me of ESPN's GP Final coverage. They decided to take extra time at the end and show the female medalists on the podium, but what was the sacrifice? No Sokolova long program. She was completely ignored. It's an interesting trade-off that suits some people and displeases others.

Overall, figure skating coverage is definitely better this season than last, especially with all the short programs. So I won't complain too much.
    As I wrote previously in this thread, I would much, much rather see more of the performances by the skaters in, say, the next to the last flight (i.e., the lesser ranked skaters) than listening to Michelle and/or Sasha explain to us again, ad nausem, the reasons for moving, coaching changes, music choices, etc. Enough of this trivia is enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    As I wrote previously in this thread, I would much, much rather see more of the performances by the skaters in, say, the next to the last flight (i.e., the lesser ranked skaters) than listening to Michelle and/or Sasha explain to us again, ad nausem, the reasons for moving, coaching changes, music choices, etc. Enough of this trivia is enough, as far as I'm concerned.
    Yep, I see your point and I wish something would change. But most networks would rather publicize and publicize and publicize the top skaters/teams, even if that means replaying certain bio and trivia clips and ignoring lesser skaters.

On the other hand, I also appreciate the occasional bit that gives me a more personal look at my favorite skaters.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    Yep, I see your point and I wish something would change. But most networks would rather publicize and publicize and publicize the top skaters/teams, even if that means replaying certain bio and trivia clips and ignoring lesser skaters.

On the other hand, I also appreciate the occasional bit that gives me a more personal look at my favorite skaters.
    Sometimes I think the networks consider figure skating coverage to be a sort of broadcast "People" magazine or an attempt to make celebrities out of these competitors.

Frankly, and I sound like a broken record, I really have very little interest in the likes and dislikes of the skaters. I admire their skating skills, and I have a lot of respect for them, but I just don't want to listen to them yak about their hobbies, favorite foods, etc. :banging:

SHOW US MORE SKATERS!!!

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    This reminds me of people who complain that celebrities such as Britney,Ashley,etc.,are featured too much in the news.Well,who keeps watching them?If you complain that the networks feature these 'fluff' pieces too much,you should equally complain that GoldenSkate,et. al.,have too many threads on them.I have my own favorites,and simply skip over the pieces that aren't interesting to me.

Custom Title
    There's nothing better than a good fluff piece, and nothing excruciatingly worse than a bad one.

I'm biased here as it was the incredibly good Yagudin versus Plushenko (complete with cameos from Mishin) fluff piece that helped launch my interest into figure skating. That piece was perfect - the images, the music, the script - really commendable. Now, if I had to watch the US ladies talk about baking cookies, etc., etc., then yeah - I agree - a waste of time. A fluff/bio piece is only compelling if there's a story to tell. And there's always a story to tell - but that doesn't mean the producers will find it.

I think the purpose of the fluff is so the viewer can identify with the skater in some way and will then want to watch them. Doesn't work for me....after I ooh and ahh because pink is my favorite color, I love chocolatechip cookie dough, and have an adorable dog too, the realization that I am never going to glide down the ice in sequins and hoist myself around three times in the air sets in.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    I think the purpose of the fluff is so the viewer can identify with the skater in some way and will then want to watch them. Doesn't work for me....after I ooh and ahh because pink is my favorite color, I love chocolatechip cookie dough, and have an adorable dog too, the realization that I am never going to glide down the ice in sequins and hoist myself around three times in the air sets in.

SkateFan4Life
    And I'm sure we will see at least one in-depth "up close and personal" bio on Michelle Kwan's withdrawal from Nationals. This is one bio I would definitely want to see, as it is based on news, an Olympic bye request, and has some substance to it. This sounds like the making of a compelling drama.

As Toni pointed out and many of us have in the past, the fluff is for the casual viewer to gain a connection. It has nothing to do with us diehards. If the fluff creates a new fan, then I'm all for it since we've gotta get the ratings up before those contracts expire.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang
    As Toni pointed out and many of us have in the past, the fluff is for the casual viewer to gain a connection. It has nothing to do with us diehards. If the fluff creates a new fan, then I'm all for it since we've gotta get the ratings up before those contracts expire.
    I understand your point, but I still think it is totally ridiculous to air so many of these "fluffy" segments. Of course I can only speak (write) for myself, but I would think that even a casual figure skating fan would enjoy seeing more of the performances than this silly stuff.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang
    raises hand, "that's me, that's me"! the things that die hards like, no commentary, no commentary with opinions, no commentary rehashing the basics, no fluff... are all things that i need to understand the sport. without them, i see what's there, but i miss out on stuff... stuff i don't even know i'm missing.

i actually got into skating through watching professional programs. then wandered into the amateur ranks.

so on
    Last edited by kemisha; 01-09-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Banned
    I'm not against fluff as a whole, but I'm sick of the same old, same old. I love Michelle Kwan but if I see one more fluff with her slow, monotone, totally PC and user-friendly contemplations I am going to hurl something though the TV screen. Maybe they could also get rid of the Sasha crap, she comes across as a spoiled little princess (according to my dad) everytime. Must we all be subjected to "Mike Weiss' 101 ways to Flaunt Your Heterosexuality" once again? And do we really need more B&A fluff? How about someone else fo a change. It would be nice if they finally paid attention to someone other than the usual suspects. Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov are way overdue for a fluff piece. Maybe BeBe of Katy Taylor? I'd like to see Ryan Bradley fluff because he's a personal favorite of mine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast