Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Up Close and Personal" Television Bios

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03
    Maybe they could also get rid of the Sasha crap, she comes across as a spoiled little princess (according to my dad) everytime. .
    could you describe it for me? never seen it. thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kemisha
    could you describe it for me? never seen it. thanks
    You want me to describe every single crappy piece of SashaFluff(tm) that I've seen? That would take too long. The one I specifically remember is the one that I believe was aired right before the 2002 Olympics, but I could be wrong. Sasha had won absolutely nothing of any significance yet she said, and I quote (maybe not word for word, but something very close), "I definitely think of myself as once of the top skaters in the world." The fluff was shot on a beach and she was doing her flexibility show off stuff (backbends etc.). My dad just shook his head and said "Wow, doesn't she sound like a spoiled little princess?"

On the Ice
    You want me to describe every single crappy piece of SashaFluff(tm) that I've seen? That would take too long. The one I specifically remember is the one that I believe was aired right before the 2002 Olympics, but I could be wrong. Sasha had won absolutely nothing of any significance yet she said, and I quote (maybe not word for word, but something very close), "I definitely think of myself as once of the top skaters in the world." The fluff was shot on a beach and she was doing her flexibility show off stuff (backbends etc.). My dad just shook his head and said "Wow, doesn't she sound like a spoiled little princess?"
    she has firmly established herself as one of the top skaters in the world though. even though she hasn't won anything major, she's always up there. many people have that opinion. anyway, thanks.

Tripping on the Podium
    I agree with Zanzibar here. The vast majority of the Olympic viewing public don't have the level of knowledge that most on this board possess. It wasn't until John Misha Petkovich showed up on TV that my interest in figure skating perked...when I understood why he got out of school so much in the fifth grade! The reality is, most people need a story, and what a story the cold war between the Russian's was! However, the quality of the stories and the frequency with which they are told is another matter. I don't care to see a bio on Michelle Kwan again, but there will be many, nor do I want to see more Sasha talk, most of the fluff isn't compelling, but let's face it, it is the personal angle that hooks people. We've had some wonderful and some very sad stories over the years, my eyes still well up watching Daria & Katia skate together. What will be will be, and I am looking forward to the show, although for me, last Oly's will be hard to beat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kemisha
    she has firmly established herself as one of the top skaters in the world though. even though she hasn't won anything major, she's always up there. many people have that opinion. anyway, thanks.
    My point was that this was a fluff from several years ago when she hadn't even competed in a major international event, so how could she possibly consider herself one of the top skaters if she hadn't competed against the best in the world? Well I guess she did compete against the best in the world since she had skated against Kwan ,but Kwan had always come out on top.

Skater Girl
    My point was that this was a fluff from several years ago when she hadn't even competed in a major international event, so how could she possibly consider herself one of the top skaters if she hadn't competed against the best in the world? Well I guess she did compete against the best in the world since she had skated against Kwan ,but Kwan had always come out on top.
    Sasha was sixteen. Apparently she was headstrong and yeah, she came off as arrogant. She's not like that anymore. It's called - maturing! (If I was in Sasha's place when I was 16, oh man, you better believe I'd be trying to make myself look good and cool for the camera saying stuff like that.)

SkateFan4Life
    I remember that little piece. At the time, my response was along the lines of, "Oh, brother, this girl is really full of herself. She considers herself to be one of the top skaters of the world when she hasn't competed at Worlds or the Olympics? Not!" Then, after the Salt Lake short program, in which she was scored third, she told the press that she was glad she received the scores she deserved. Hmmm, the girl definitely was on an ego trip at that time.

Of course, Sasha is 21 now, and she's matured. Hopefully, she will think twice before speaking into the microphone when she's in Torino.

Custom Title
    I think that all those fluff pieces of"upclose and personal" are all the same. No matter who the skaters are, either it be Sasha, Michelle or whoever, they all come of as a braging session and all the lady skaters are portrayed as idolizing themselves.

Rinkside
    [QUOTE=dancindiva03]You want me to describe every single crappy piece of SashaFluff(tm) that I've seen? That would take too long. The one I specifically remember is the one that I believe was aired right before the 2002 Olympics, but I could be wrong. Sasha had won absolutely nothing of any significance yet she said, and I quote (maybe not word for word, but something very close), "I definitely think of myself as once of the top skaters in the world."

And considering she placed 4th means she had reason to believe it--similiar to the fact that most people knew mao was one of the 'top skaters in the world" before she ever entered a senior competition.

Banned
    [QUOTE=donnar0226]
    You want me to describe every single crappy piece of SashaFluff(tm) that I've seen? That would take too long. The one I specifically remember is the one that I believe was aired right before the 2002 Olympics, but I could be wrong. Sasha had won absolutely nothing of any significance yet she said, and I quote (maybe not word for word, but something very close), "I definitely think of myself as once of the top skaters in the world."

And considering she placed 4th means she had reason to believe it--similiar to the fact that most people knew mao was one of the 'top skaters in the world" before she ever entered a senior competition.
    Sasha placed fourth because others faltered and because she was held up after that awful LP.

SkateFan4Life
    I'm not against fluff as a whole, but I'm sick of the same old, same old. Must we all be subjected to "Mike Weiss' 101 ways to Flaunt Your Heterosexuality" once again?
    Well.....if the networks air yet another syrupy segment on Michael with his wife and kids, I'm definitely raiding the frig. YUK. The guy comes across as so darned spacey, and, duh, at the age of 29 he's still trying to figure out proper jumping technique. Give us a break!

SkateFan4Life
    And, assuming that Sasha wins a spot on the Olympic team, we will have to endure an "up close and personal" bio on how she (1) battled the flu at Nationals and still qualified for the team and (2) managed to compete without Michelle in the mix. Yawn, guys.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    And, assuming that Sasha wins a spot on the Olympic team, we will have to endure an "up close and personal" bio on how she (1) battled the flu at Nationals and still qualified for the team and (2) managed to compete without Michelle in the mix. Yawn, guys.
    You're free to change the channel if you wish. It's not like you're forced to see it or anything.

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    You're free to change the channel if you wish. It's not like you're forced to see it or anything.
    Of course. It's just that ALL of us are subjected to this trivial nonsense.

Just an average girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    No, but we do want to watch the skating. So unless we want to be frantic channel surfers we watch the latest version of Michelle Kwan contemplates the meaning of the universe because we're hoping the next skater will be on soon.

I did, however, really enjoy the piece about Jamie Silverstein during the free dance show (in the middle of the night) on ESPN2. Maybe because it actually showed some honesty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast