"Mao Hype" Begins in Earnest - new AP story (Dec. 28) | Golden Skate

"Mao Hype" Begins in Earnest - new AP story (Dec. 28)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I've noticed that no one seems to be talking about the inherent unfairness of a mid year rule change. The South Korean federation already relied on the age rule in not sending Ms. Kim to the Karl Schaeffer memorial to secure So. Korea a spot at Olys; changing the rules for Mao is unfair to them. It also sounds unfair to me that the "rug" can be jerked out from under Fumie, Shizuka and Miki, who have already been told that they are going to Olys.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I've noticed that no one seems to be talking about the inherent unfairness of a mid year rule change. The South Korean federation already relied on the age rule in not sending Ms. Kim to the Karl Schaeffer memorial to secure So. Korea a spot at Olys; changing the rules for Mao is unfair to them. It also sounds unfair to me that the "rug" can be jerked out from under Fumie, Shizuka and Miki, who have already been told that they are going to Olys.

This is one of the biggest reasons I do not support a mid-season rule change. So I agree with you.

Mean time, Mao deserves credit for completing two ratified (at Japan Nationals) 3A's in an LP. Interestingly, her overall jump content points were several points lower than her GPF LP performance which included 1 3A. NJS (IMO) makes this all very interesting. The details are provided in some "score sheet trivia" type threads in The Edge, and also in spoilers for anyone interested in the point details.

Mean time, I stand by my own opinion that rules like this should never be chamged (or excepted) mid-season. Primarily for the reasons you mention - unfair situations to other skaters who went with the existing rules, and planned their seasons accordingly.

Mean time, from what I've read it seems that the Japan Federation has NOT requested an age rule exception. I give them credit for that - sticking by the rules as they voted, and as they were aware of before putting Mao in the GPS.

DG

I don't think it is hype. It is a straightforward story that the triple axle gal is not permitted to go to the Olys However, as I have said before, the story will get full play before, during and for many years afterwards. Too bad for Mao and too bad for the Oly gold medalist who will always be known as the winner because Mao was not permitted to go to the Olys. That's the way it is in skateland.

Joe

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Too bad for Mao and too bad for the Oly gold medalist who will always be known as the winner because Mao was not permitted to go to the Olys. That's the way it is in skateland. Joe
I agree that it's "too bad for Mao" but definitely not that the "OGM will always be known as the winner because Mao wasn't there". Maybe if Mao had wiped the ice with the rest of the field at Japanese Nationals, but since she didn't win (and didn't even win the FS, despite landing two triple axels), the potential grounds for arguing the she would have won in Torino is greatly lessened. The ice is slippery and Mao, like all the other skaters, is only human and certainly not immune to skating errors -- she singled her DOUBLE axel in the SP, for goodness sakes. Anyway, yes, it is too bad that she can't have a chance to compete at the Olympics this time. With luck she will avoid serious injury and not have her jumps affected by the puberty monster and will then be even more of a force to be reckoned with in 2010.

I'm not saying your favorite, if she wins the Olys didn't deserve the medal. What I am saying is that Mao is not permitted to compete in the 2006 Olys. It is a slippery sport and your favorite may not win anyway.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
It's so ridiculous to think that a rule should be changed mid-season, when everyone else played by that rule, fair and square.
It's also suspect that she would even have skated this well if she had been under pressure all season of making the Olympic team. I actually can't believe so many people think they should just let her compete. Why? Just because she's good and wants to go? Gee, okay ... to heck with the rule and everyone else. Let's just all do whatever we want to. And maybe in 4 years there will be an 11 year old who can do better jumps than Mao, and she can compete. Where does it end? I, for one, have no interest in watching 11 and 12 year olds at the Olympics.
They can get rid of the rule after the season. Either that, or make it a legitimate health issue thing by not allowing anyone under a certain age to compete anywhere on the senior circuit.

All I know is Mao should not be allowed to go to Torino ... end of story. And this is from someone who has zero interest in watching Irina win the OGM.

R.D.

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
It's so ridiculous to think that a rule should be changed mid-season, when everyone else played by that rule, fair and square.
It's also suspect that she would even have skated this well if she had been under pressure all season of making the Olympic team. I actually can't believe so many people think they should just let her compete. Why? Just because she's good and wants to go? Gee, okay ... to heck with the rule and everyone else. Let's just all do whatever we want to. And maybe in 4 years there will be an 11 year old who can do better jumps than Mao, and she can compete. Where does it end? I, for one, have no interest in watching 11 and 12 year olds at the Olympics.
They can get rid of the rule after the season. Either that, or make it a legitimate health issue thing by not allowing anyone under a certain age to compete anywhere on the senior circuit.

All I know is Mao should not be allowed to go to Torino ... end of story. And this is from someone who has zero interest in watching Irina win the OGM.

I.T.A. Couldn't have said this any better myself. :rock:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I don't think it is hype. It is a straightforward story that the triple axle gal is not permitted to go to the Olys However, as I have said before, the story will get full play before, during and for many years afterwards. Too bad for Mao and too bad for the Oly gold medalist who will always be known as the winner because Mao was not permitted to go to the Olys. That's the way it is in skateland.

Joe
And I am going to be one very p***ed off fan if they harp on this at the Olympics. It is extremely unfair to the skaters that will be there. Thank goodness Mao didn't win Japanese Nationals, because that would make it even worse.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Also- I think the thread title is rather misleading. Just because ONE article reports on this doesn't mean that the hype has "begun in earnest". JMO, though.

kyla2

Final Flight
Imo

It is absolutely correct that Mao be ineligible for this Olympics. She is too young, period. It shows in her skating too. She can jump until she's blue and I wouldn't care, because she is lacking in maturity and her presentation reflects this fact.

R.D.

Record Breaker
kyla2 said:
It is absolutely correct that Mao be ineligible for this Olympics. She is too young, period. It shows in her skating too. She can jump until she's blue and I wouldn't care, because she is lacking in maturity and her presentation reflects this fact.

Remember that some skating fans love jumping beans, though :cool:

At first, I was wondering whether the press would say anything about this matter (about Asada), but I'm beginning to change my mind. I think they'll at least mention her during the Oly broadcast. Hopefully they won't harp on it though.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I'm not saying your favorite, if she wins the Olys didn't deserve the medal. What I am saying is that Mao is not permitted to compete in the 2006 Olys. It is a slippery sport and your favorite may not win anyway.
Huh? Who said anything about "favorite skaters"? Of course mine may not win -- I'd say the odds are against it, even without Mao in the mix. All I was doing was disagreeing with your statement that "the Oly gold medalist" -- whoever she may be -- "will always be known as the winner because Mao was not permitted to go to the Olys." Actually I'm disagreeing with the BECAUSE part of it -- i.e. that the OGM will always be known as "the winner because Mao was not competing". Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough -- yes, the ice is slippery -- and that would apply for Mao even if she were able to compete in Turino.

mzheng

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:

:rock: :clap:

rain

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who's not actually excited about seeing ladies skating trending towards the triple axel? Okay, just me then. Anyway, as I've stated in previous threads, I think any kind of exception or rule change at this late date would be tremendously unfair to everyone involved.
Second, I do not for one second agree with the assertion that the gold medalist in Turin will have an asterisk next to her name just because Asada wasn't there. Kwan, Cohen, Slutskaya, Arakawa — do you honestly think these ladies, with all their credentials in the sport, will be tarnished should they win, if a 15-year-old having one good season in seniors isn't there? Not remotely, IMO. Her recent failure to win Japanese nationals just reinforces my belief.

qoo

Rinkside
attyfan said:

Well Mao has won the senior GPF! The reason for her not winning her nationals after watching both Fumie and her performance are questionable to me. I think whether mid-season or not, there hasn't been anyone like Mao since this age restriction was put forth. So I think now is the time to change it even for only one person cuz the rest hasn't measured up to the level that Mao has reached. In my book, rules exist so we can modify them.:agree:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Why exactly didn't she win the Japanese Nationals? It sounds as if she did everything perfectly(at least in the long program) and she beat a perfect Irina in the long program. I'm sure Fumie was perfect in the long as well, but Mao easily beat a perfect Irina. What was so difficult about her being able to beat a perfect Fumie?

qoo

Rinkside
In my theory, Japanese federation wanted Fumie to win because of their point system. Prior to the nationals, Miki was in the lead, then Nakano, Onda, Arakawa.. and I believe Fumie was in the last. In order for her points to put ahead of Onda and Nakano, Fumie was needed to win that event and Nakan must be placed behind Onda. After watching Onda's performace she did wonderfully but still her marks seem too inflated. Nakano was much better imo yet her score was put behind Onda. Something was very fishy about entire judging to me.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
*~RussianBleux~* said:
Why exactly didn't she win the Japanese Nationals? It sounds as if she did everything perfectly(at least in the long program) and she beat a perfect Irina in the long program. I'm sure Fumie was perfect in the long as well, but Mao easily beat a perfect Irina. What was so difficult about her being able to beat a perfect Fumie?

Maybe beating a perfect Fumie is more difficult than beating a perfect Irina?:biggrin: