Miki/Shiz call upon Wilson for program overhaul | Golden Skate

Miki/Shiz call upon Wilson for program overhaul

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
This season is just so ..... WOW!

Miki - I loved her Funny Valentine program ever since I watched it over the net from the Japan Cheesefest before Campbell's. I think it showcased her improved presentation skills. BUT...I was really concerned after seeing the debut of her SP during the GP series - two soft and moody type pieces.

After watching both programs a few times, I think Miki might be wise to keep one "moody" softer piece (SP - I agree) and work on something more dramatic for the LP.

Shiz seems to have a renewed burst of energy. I'm happy for her - I love her skating and would really love to see her with "skates on fire" at the Oly's. I think her SP at Japan Nats was very improved over previous versions. Her LP was not quite as strong - so whatever she (and team) think she needs to do with it to improve - YOU GO SHIZ!!

I can't wait to see what both of these skaters do come Oly's. And for Fumie, I really like both programs, and hope she just keeps tuning. :)

Hoping for an Oly comp that ROCKS with many clean performances!

DG

soogar

Record Breaker
ITA about Shiz's energy. It's great to hear her talk so positive about things. Hopefully making the team has taken a load of pressure off of her and she can just enjoy her Olympic experience.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting moves for both of them. Seems like this Olympics is shaping up to be a good one.

euterpe

Medalist
I didn't like "Funny Valentine", and I don't like either of Rochette's programs.

I don't think Wilson's choreography for women is as good as what he has done for Buttle (and I don't much like Buttle's FS this season compared to the one he did last season).

I think Miki's problem with FV is that she is unable to sell it. But she couldn't sell either of her two FSs last season, either, so why should still another FS be more sellable? I think the problem is with Miki, not particularly with the program (although I do think FV is too moody and all on one level).

I think Shiz should go back to "Turandot", the only program I have ever seen her truly relate to.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Funny Valentine should be retitled 'My Boring Valentine.' It stinks. Miki needs an energetic program.

waxel

Final Flight
Makes you wonder how they chose the music to begin with? I like Miki's SP and agree she should keep it. I also agree with the post that questioned Buttle's LP... I love his skating but the Gould program doesn't excite me.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Funny Valentine should be retitled 'My Boring Valentine.' It stinks. Miki needs an energetic program.
LOL:laugh: I like how her swkating has developed but aq better song could have done her justice.

As for Shizuka while I'm impressed with how she has bounced back. Her programs need a boost.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
By the way - Does David Wilson sleep? Is that man going to sleep between now & the start of the Olympics? He seems to be the choreographer-du-jour, in the same way that everyone was running to Nikolai Morozov two years ago, or Sandra Bezik a decade ago.

maruru

Rinkside
Is Shizza really working with Wilson now? The article orchid posted seems to be a translation of the source they link to at the bottom of the page, but that souce does not mention Wilson or Shizza's switch to him. What I hear instead is Shizza split with Tarasova after Russia, and she is now working with Morozov. But I may be behind the news.

As for Miki's LP, I agree with euterpe. I like her programs, actually, but it seems she just can't handle them. So it may be a good idea to change to something energetic (even though it may be a bit risky to do so at this point).

Gatzbee

Rinkside
i thought the soft music for the SP was nice when she landed everything. only dreary thing was that horrendous extension on her spiral and her dropped back. she might as well do a fwd charlotte thru the entire sequence. but im glad she's changing her LP. seeing her skate to understated, soft music for less than 3 minutes is one thing. seeing her do it for 4 minutes is another. at JPN nats i just thought her hard splats and her bad spins made the music all the more depressing:cry: :p however, for me the part that ive liked about her programs is her layback. she has a nice stretched bielman IMO.

orchid

On the Ice
maruru said:
Is Shizza really working with Wilson now? The article orchid posted seems to be a translation of the source they link to at the bottom of the page, but that souce does not mention Wilson or Shizza's switch to him. What I hear instead is Shizza split with Tarasova after Russia, and she is now working with Morozov. But I may be behind the news.

I do believe Morozov remains the coach of record. Wilson, apparently is to 2005/6 go-to-guy for last minute program makeover.

As Frau noted earlier, "does this guy ever sleep"? What's funny to me is, last year's go-to-guy needs help from Wilson??
:laugh:

mzheng

Record Breaker
I thought Shiz was using Morosov as her new choreo? Or she changed her mind after Cohen went to Wilson?

eurterpe brought up a good point about 'selling it'. I've seen enough Swan Lakes on the stage with different ballerinas. they all do the same choreography, and the ballernina who knows how to 'sell' those steps with whatever emotion needed will be the the Prima Ballerina.

While we don't compare skaters with the same programs we must look to the skater who gives something to the choreogaphy she has received. A choreogapher can suggest arm movement and facial expressions and various nuances but it is up to skater go beyond the choreography.

Joe

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Irina doesn't strike me an "emotional" type of skater. Those who are really into Kwan-style skating, for the most part, won't like a skater like Irina with speed and power. They MAY go for a skater like Cohen with delicacy and flexibility. But it seems that in most cases, you either like one style or the other. Hence the comments about "maturity" and "artistry".

JMO.

Getting back to Shiz and Miki (on topic, I realized I left the topic open to be changed by Irina sensistive people.)

The choreography good or bad is greatly enhanced by the skater and euterpe's remarks about selling it is a strong point. Speed while doing crossovers is another topic.

Joe

maruru

Rinkside
mzheng said:
I thought Shiz was using Morosov as her new choreo? Or she changed her mind after Cohen went to Wilson?

According to Japanese reports (admittedly only those I read), Morosov is her coach now after Tarasova. So I also assumed he was doing her choreo too. But sounds like, as orchid said, it may be Wilson also coming in to work with her. It's going to be interesting at the Olys.

mzheng

Record Breaker
maruru said:
According to Japanese reports (admittedly only those I read), Morosov is her coach now after Tarasova. So I also assumed he was doing her choreo too. But sounds like, as orchid said, it may be Wilson also coming in to work with her. It's going to be interesting at the Olys.
So, its confirmed that TT officially abandent Shiza.

It's really going to be an interesting Olys.

maruru

Rinkside
Some newspaper sites report Miki is probably skating to Madam Butterfly, so... Puccini opera in Turino.

millie

Medalist
I am happy to see that Shiz is not with Tarasova. Probably now this will bring back the smile and the sparkle in her eyes and focus on what she does best. I always thought that they did not make a happy duo. I think that Tarasova took the joy out of Shiz's skating, the last few times that I have seen her skate, she didn't seem to happy(Shiz with Tarasova and Tarasova with Shiz.) Best of luck to Miki and Shiz.:)