Miki/Shiz call upon Wilson for program overhaul | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miki/Shiz call upon Wilson for program overhaul

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rewatched the GPF yesterday. You can see the pressure written all over Miki's face when she started her SP and through out her skating. While Yukari was able to skate full out showing the joy of her skating....too bad she was not chosen as the O team....Hope Miki redeem herself at O.

Matt

On the Ice
ITA about Miki's programmes. I don't think anyone could sell a programme to the rendition of "Funny Valentine" they picked out for her. Her presentation has improved leaps and bounds, but the entire arrangement of that programme didn't suit her. "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" is more of the softer style that they are looking for. As of right now, though, I just can't bring myself to picture Miki as Cio-Cio San in Madame Butterfly (or anything Puccini, for that matter, but I'm a Puccini freak and horribly biased :p ). As the Firebird, she couldn't do it for us

As for Shizuka, I don't see anything wrong with her two programmes. She's really beginning to sell "Variations on a Theme of Paganini" and she's got a pretty good handle on "Fantasie Impromptu" (especially at Japan Invitational). I have no idea what she did to it at Japanese Nats, b/c it was awful, but I don't think she should chuck it just yet.

I could totally see Shizuka as a Puccini heroine, though. Maybe she should think about Madame Butterfly. She hit a gold mine with "Turandot", which is Puccini

Last edited:

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
If Evan can do it just 2 weeks prior to NHK Trophy, then even "more successful" skaters like Shizuka and Miki, both previous World [Sr/Jr.] Champions can.

Miki's LP definitely was not working to her advantage in her second major showing of it [NHK Trophy], but her artistry definitely improved. At NHK her lack of confidence and relation to "My Funny Valentine" showed in her suddenly worsened/humped posture and lack of commitment [just giving up on the landing of even her 2 loop, a jump that should be a walk in the park for her]. So here's hoping her last minute program changes will work for her [although it did not at last season's Worlds, prior to which her Guitar Concerto LP by Villalobos was scoring very well and even won one 2004 Grand Prix LP, TEB??].

I thought Shizuka's Chopin "Fantasie Suite" LP was rightfully showcasing her command on the ice that was last evident in her 2004 Nessum Dorma LP. The problem was underrotating her 3/3 and frequently stepping out or doubling a triple, and an occassional slow Biellman/doughnut spin. Other than that, it had nowhere to go but up. I don't know if new elements will be graded as well as those already CoP-savvy elements the judges already have seen from her current LP.
As for her SP, it's perfect if performed well.

Matt

On the Ice
VINLUVSKWAN said:
[although it did not at last season's Worlds, prior to which her Guitar Concerto LP by Villalobos was scoring very well and even won one 2004 Grand Prix LP, TEB??].
QUOTE]

2004 Cup of China, IIRC. Personally, I don't know why she got rid of that one either; that was the only "pre-new Miki" programme that I liked besides her "The Pianist" SP. IMO, put the harder spins/spirals in that one, tweak it a little, and you have a pretty good FP. It sounds like if Ando's thinking Madame Butterfly, she's going for a "memorable Olympic programme" kind of FP; verdict's still out on whether she'll get it :rolleye:

ks777

Record Breaker
maruru said:
According to Japanese reports (admittedly only those I read), Morosov is her coach now after Tarasova. So I also assumed he was doing her choreo too. But sounds like, as orchid said, it may be Wilson also coming in to work with her. It's going to be interesting at the Olys.

they incorrectly translated that article. Shizuka is working with Morozov and NOT David Wilson.

As for Miki's new LP, She doesn't have much time for a new costume, she should borrow it from AP McDonough.

JOHIO2

Medalist
ks777 said:
As for Miki's new LP, She doesn't have much time for a new costume, she should borrow it from AP McDonough.

YUCK! AP's costume would look even worse on Miki!

harrah

Spectator
Shizuka's Free skate

I've noticed that Shiz scores rather poorly with her free skates, and I think one of the main reasons is that she underrotates the back end of her 3/3s. So in the end she gets credited for only 4 or 5 triples instead of 6 or 7 triples. In CoP, that's worth about 7 to 10 points! So if I were her or/and her coach, i would ditch the underrotated 3/3s and simply do 7 triples with a maximum 3 3/2 combinations.

What do you guys think????

harrah said:
I've noticed that Shiz scores rather poorly with her free skates, and I think one of the main reasons is that she underrotates the back end of her 3/3s. So in the end she gets credited for only 4 or 5 triples instead of 6 or 7 triples. In CoP, that's worth about 7 to 10 points! So if I were her or/and her coach, i would ditch the underrotated 3/3s and simply do 7 triples with a maximum 3 3/2 combinations.

What do you guys think????
I agree, and I think Shizuka and her coaches have caught onto that idea, too. IIRC in her last couple of performances, she did only triple-doubles as her combinations.

MM :)