Its official!!!!!!!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Its official!!!!!!!!

dwiggin3

Final Flight
chuckm said:
If GR-M don't finish in the top 6, ABC/ESPN won't show them in full. But don't expect ESPN/ABC to let them completely off the hook. They will show them at some point with commentary, and you may still hear a lukewarm audience reaction. I hope there's no booing, but it's still a possibility.

I was watching a replay of the grand prix this past weekend and christine brennen did an interivew with the some of the parties involved....not sure if it was updated with the new citizenship announcement but she did say that GR-M had been ranked 5th in US ice dancing amoung the international judges (not sure who was ranked above them and in what order but I think it was Belbin/Agusto, Gregory/Petukov, Matthews/Zavorin, Silverstien/Unk., Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell, Steigler/Margerovsky)

sounds like they are at the bottom of the pile and an unlikely prospect....but, stranger things have happend. I know that Matthews and Zavorin are now eligable for Olympics with his new citizenship and IIRC, Margerovsky was needing citzenship but won't make it in time....am I correct?

I'd like to see B/A as well as the married couple make it (can't remember thier name)....as for third, I'd love to see Jamie Silverstien and her partner make it or Matthews/Zavorin.

Darby

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Mathman said:
Are they really as good as they seemed last year, or did the international judges give them a gift here and there. One can speculate that as long as they were ineligible for the Olympics, the governing powers in ice dance were quite willing to keep the U.S. tagging along by giving this pair a silver medal. Now all of a sudden the game changes.
MM :)
Hmm...
I thought I was the only one who wondered about that, Mathman. It seems they've worked their way up the ladder pretty darned quickly for a team where the lady never points her (expletive deleted) toe; in a discipline where any advancement in the rankings has always occured at a glacial pace. I'm very curious to see how they place in Turin.
Before anyone pulls out a flame-thrower, please let me assure you all that I love this team like I love cake, okay?
Please don't hurt me. :laugh:
xoxo
Rave

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
CzarinaAnya said:
I always thought, Belbin, was a russian name. So, I always thought she was of slavic descent. :)

Ending of "in" is not always Slavic. How about a very common Irish last name "Larkin" or Scottish "Rankin"?

Darby - Sergei received US citizenship about 2 weeks ago.

I was also surprised how quickly Tanith and Max became sworn in. I am sure their senators/congressman pulled some strings.

I am happy that they get to represent US, but I don't like the fact that the spending cuts bill passed.

MM - I too wonder if the silver at last years worlds was a "gift". As talanted as Tanith and Ben are, their rise was just too fast for ice dancing. Turino will be an interesting competition after all!

Yana

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Thank goodness, now we have at least one good Ice Dancing team. I'll turn the channel when those other losers are on, oh and I hope they get on their knees and thank Belbin and Agosto for gaining 3 spots for them at the Olympics, because they certainly couldn't have gotten to the Olympics any other way.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Boo! Tanith should be representing Canada - Where is her loyalty? sour grapes from a Canuck.

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
FreeKatie said:
Thank goodness, now we have at least one good Ice Dancing team. I'll turn the channel when those other losers are on, oh and I hope they get on their knees and thank Belbin and Agosto for gaining 3 spots for them at the Olympics, because they certainly couldn't have gotten to the Olympics any other way.

Ouch! Surely you don't consider Denis Petukhov and Melissa Gregory as "loosers"? They had a very respectable finish at 2005 Worlds which woul've qualified them for the Olympics w/o Tanith and Ben's help. Matthews and Zavozin are former world junior champs, and so is Jaime Silverstain. I would not call them loosers. Even the last team to finish at Nats is a top 4 qualifier in the Sectionals and they are sure as hell more talented then most of us on GS forum.

To ensure that US gets 3 spots for the Olympics, top 2 teams had to finish no lower than a combined 13.

Yana

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Details Details! haha - I meant the sore losers who were trying to get in the way of Tanith's citizenship - at any rate, Belbin & Agosto are the only US team I am interested in at the moment so while the others are on I'll probably be making a sandwich.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Boo! Tanith should be representing Canada - Where is her loyalty? sour grapes from a Canuck.
If Canada could produce decent male ice dancers on a regular basis then she would be. It's your own country's fault that she's skating with an American.

N@d&A

Rinkside
Those are exellent news!!! They have proved that they are the best so they deserve to go to Olympics

I´m very happy for them