Issues with spinning | Golden Skate

Issues with spinning

skating_nutcase

Spectator
I used to skate really well and then I took a break and now I have issues with spinning. I can no longer wrap my leg around when doing a 1 foot spin. If anyone has any soloutions to this problem or tips and tricks, please tell me. I am desperate!!!!

Eliza

Rinkside
I know nothing about skating, never have ice skated. Just wanted to tell that I love your board name. Are you a nutcase thats skates or a nutcase on the subject of skating?;)

Hi, Nutcase, welcome to the Forum!

I moved your thread over here to the Lutz corner where skatrs gather to talk about their own skating. You will get more responses here.

Mathman :)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi skating_nutcase-

Do you mean you are having trouble doing a scratch spin? Bring the front foot over and down?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
skating_nutcase said:
I used to skate really well and then I took a break and now I have issues with spinning. I can no longer wrap my leg around when doing a 1 foot spin. If anyone has any soloutions to this problem or tips and tricks, please tell me. I am desperate!!!!

I used to skate for many years, but don't get to the rink that much anymore, so can relate to your problem. It's sort of a mental block you must get over. Just try bringing your leg up slowly to your knee and get used to it being there. After a few tries, slowly bring your leg down towards the ice (wraped over your spinning leg). Don't try to rush yourself.

Hope this helps.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Hi, skating_nutcase!
How old are you? Are you skating serously? What jumps and spins can you do?
About that problem: In many spins, even sometimes in jumps, off ice trainings can help a lot. That's why I'm asking are you skating seriously. Because, if you didn't skate, maybe you didn't have off ice practices,too.
Try to stand on one spot, and then to just "show yourself" with your legs how the perfect spin looks like. I mean, put your leg first to the side, then in front, then band it to your knee, then easy get it to the other leg, put it down(sorry, my English is not perfect)
Maybe it will help you
:yes:

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
You may not be feeling "comfortable" with that position either. What we had to do was go through the movement of leg out, cross, then down (with arm movements) all while skating forward. Gets you used to doing it on skates, and helps to build up the muscles used (which may also be an issue). I'm sure we looked silly doing that, but it did help us.

Just skate straight and do that, be sure once you cross your leg that you don't touch your toepick to the ice because you might spill....just stop it at the ankle.