roof collapses on German ice rink | Golden Skate

roof collapses on German ice rink

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4575788.stm

Breaking news from BBC. Story below:

The roof of an ice rink has collapsed in southern Germany, trapping skaters underneath, police say.
Up to 50 people were inside the ice rink in the town of Bad Reichenhall when the roof caved in under heavy snow, a policeman said.

"We expect several injuries and possibly also deaths," said police spokesman Fritz Braun.

Further heavy blizzards were complicating the rescue effort, reports the AFP news agency.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Oh my - this is very sad. I hope they are able to rescue everyone....

Thanks for the info and I hope you can keep us updated as more news becomes available.

DG

S

SkateFan4Life

Terrible news. I saw that story on CNN a short while ago. The arena was a combination swimming pool / ice skating rink, and it was located in southern Germany, close to the Alps. One of the CNN reporters noted that it was located close to the resort used by Adolf Hitler in the 1930s/1940s.

It looks pretty bad, with injuries, etc. I certainly hope that everyone is rescued.
Apparently, that area of Germany has seen a lot of heavy snow and sleet, and the weight of this snow/sleet was too much for the roof of the arena.

kyla2

Final Flight
Just Saw It

I just saw it on t.v. Very, very sad and apparently at least one child has died. I am surprised this happened in Germany because the Germans are such excellent engineers and they are used to heavy snow.

S

SkateFan4Life

kyla2 said:
I just saw it on t.v. Very, very sad and apparently at least one child has died. I am surprised this happened in Germany because the Germans are such excellent engineers and they are used to heavy snow.

The CNN commentators made similar comments - i.e., Germany being a country that receives a lot of snow, etc., and the buildings are well constructed to withstand the weight of this snow. Very sad story, indeed.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I was going to report this if noone else did.

I hope they can work fast on digging everyone out. I alaso hope that ther are more survivors than they're expecting.

tdnuva

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Terrible news. I saw that story on CNN a short while ago. The arena was a combination swimming pool / ice skating rink, and it was located in southern Germany, close to the Alps. One of the CNN reporters noted that it was located close to the resort used by Adolf Hitler in the 1930s/1940s.
It's a tragedy. But what the heck has Hitler do to with it??? And that it's close to his resort depends on your definition of "close". It's much closer e.g. to Salzburg on the other side of the German Austrian border if you would need some definition of the location. Argh - sometimes journalists can drive me mad. There are people suffering and dying (yet we have no real explanation why the roof collapsed btw) and there are American journalists who have nothing else in mind than to make the connection to the Nazis. :scratch:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
This is from an article in my local newpaper:

"An offical with a ice hockey club said town authorities told him a half-hour before the 4pm accident that a practice session for youth players was canceled because the rink was at risk of collapsing. However "apparently the public skating was still continuing," Thomas Rumpeltes told The Associated Press.

If they thought the building might collapse why didn't they get everyone out? It could have been a avoidable tragedy.