The kids who pick up flowers/toys off the ice | Golden Skate

The kids who pick up flowers/toys off the ice

CDMM1991

Medalist
Thanks Johar, great article.

I remembered I tried out to be a flower sweeper for Four Continents when they came to Halifax in 1999 but they decided I was too young, and then when the next major skating competition came, Skate Canada last year, I was too old.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
My daughter wanted to try out as a flower girl for worlds in Calgary this year, but alas, she is ineligible. I was a little perturbed by the criteria used, and while I realize they have to draw the line somewhere, I think its very unfair that they eliminated 90% of skaters who pay registration fees like anyone else.

The requirements for being a retriever were that you had to be juvenile level through novice, AND had to qualify for sectionals. I think its unfair to eliminate those skaters who are not competitive as the test stream is just as important IMO. My daughter is in the competitive stream but didn't qualify for sectionals this year, thus eliminating her. I also know 2 thirteen year olds at our club that are terrific skaters and who really wanted to do it but alas, they aren't competitive and thus ineligible.

Just my 2 cents!

Canuck

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I never though of trying out for that job when I figure skated, but I did once volunteer as a runner for the judges. That kept me on my toes!!! I always thought it would be neat to be a caddy girl - the little girls that used to hold up the marks under the old 6.0 system. I don't think we will see that ever again. It's nice to see the little ones out there still gathering up the flowers and toys. Thanks for the article.

Spirit

On the Ice
I also wanted to be one of the flower sweepers, but they said something about how a 36-year-old male with a gut was not what they were looking for.

I'm thinking of suing.

tdnuva

On the Ice
Spirit said:
I also wanted to be one of the flower sweepers, but they said something about how a 36-year-old male with a gut was not what they were looking for.

I'm thinking of suing.
:laugh:

Johar

Medalist
Spirit said:

I'm thinking of suing.

:rofl:

I'm glad everybody liked the article. :thumbsup:

IDLERACER

Medalist
I cannot remember ever seeing any boys doing this, but then, I've never really paid much attention to this aspect of the sport. There's something I've always found a bit demeaning about turning kids into human zambonis. They sort of look like a swarm of ants picking up the leftover crumbs after a picnic.:eek:hwell:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Spirit said:

I'm thinking of suing.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Spirit said:

I'm thinking of suing.

Hmm was that you auditioning right before Kwan's FS at 2004 Worlds?:biggrin:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piel said:
:rofl: :rofl: Good one Piel. Spirit in a tutu!! :rofl: :rofl:

Dee :biggrin:

Spirit

On the Ice
Piel said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, Michelle is my wife, so........ (Although she was not very happy about that stunt.)

Spirit

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
There's something I've always found a bit demeaning about turning kids into human zambonis. They sort of look like a swarm of ants picking up the leftover crumbs after a picnic.
:laugh:

Builds character.

Actually, I always thought it was bizarre that the little ones had to be there at all.

I know people rag on figure skating as an odd sport because the competitors wear skirts and make-up, compete to music, etc. I've never had a problem with any of that. But what sets figure skating apart, for me, is the acceptable behavior of the crowd. Imagine the spectators at a Miami Heat game throwing teddy bears onto the court for Shaq at the end. It just doesn't compute.

The only other sport I know of in which children regularly pick up objects off the field of play is tennis, but that's because the competitors make a mess.

Johar

Medalist
Well, somebody will have to pick up all of those flowers Irina receives in a month!:)

Piel said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bow: :bow: :bow: (Anyone wanting to sign Piel for her stand-up act, contact her agent at www,mathmanenterprises.com.)

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
If a big competition comes in Belgrade, I will try with that. I've seen some kids on tv, I know them from skating camps,I think they are lucky to pick up all those Teddy Bears and other toys:p
BTW, I think that Irina should have one room in her house just for toys! :yes: Don't you think so? Have you seen how many toys she got at 2005 Worlds? :agree: I wish her all the best in this season, she really deserves that Gold at Olympics. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
I cannot remember ever seeing any boys doing this, but then, I've never really paid much attention to this aspect of the sport. There's something I've always found a bit demeaning about turning kids into human zambonis. They sort of look like a swarm of ants picking up the leftover crumbs after a picnic.:eek:hwell:

there were boys at the swedish nationals..they were really cute.. :)

S

SkateFan4Life

Thanks for the article. I have always thought the kids who pick up the flowers, stuffed animals, and toys are adorable. I for one think it's a good idea that these kids are taking skating lessons and seriously learning to skate. The last thing I would want to see would be for the kids to fly out there and land on their fannies because they have no clue as to how to stand up on ice skates. :rofl:

The girls who pick up the flowers and deliver them to the skaters in the kiss 'n cry area usually receive a kiss from the competitors. It's just such a nice, sweet moment. :love:

And, lastly, the kids who pick up the flowers, stuffed animals, and toys perform a very essential service of CLEANING THE ICE for the next competitor! :clap: