Will Cohen and Kwan Get Byes IF | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Cohen and Kwan Get Byes IF

S

SkateFan4Life

Good Heaven's NO!! It would be grossly unfair if both Sasha and Michelle received byes.

Well, perhaps I could understand Michelle getting a bye to the Olympics due to her injury. But even that seems unfair to the top three women at Nationals.

And if Sasha receives a bye for any reason OTHER THAN an injury or illness, that would be grossly unfair. If she falls several times and finishes fourth or fifth, then that's the way the competition goes.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
SkateFan4Life said:
Good Heaven's NO!! It would be grossly unfair if both Sasha and Michelle received byes.

Well, perhaps I could understand Michelle getting a bye to the Olympics due to her injury. But even that seems unfair to the top three women at Nationals.

And if Sasha receives a bye for any reason OTHER THAN an injury or illness, that would be grossly unfair. If she falls several times and finishes fourth or fifth, then that's the way the competition goes.

ITA. Sasha has said that she is healthy, so unless there is some last minute injury then she should in no way receive a bye. She has to skate well and earn her spot. As one of the oldest and most experienced in the field, she should not have any trouble making the team IF SHE CAN STAY ON HER FEET. But as always, with Sasha you just never know.

S

SkateFan4Life

Eeyora said:
What would the USFSA do if Sasha finished 5th or sixth with Michelle withdrawn and Amber won!

Then Amber would skate in the Olympics as the US National champion, and she would compete for the gold medal. You go, girl!! :rock:

The best case scenario for USFS would be something like this:

Sasha -- 190
Alissa (or Kimmie) -- 180
Kimmie (or Alissa) and everyone else -- 150

Then it would not raise many eyebrows if the team is Sasha, Alissa and Michelle, with Kimmie in reserve (and still with a very good chance of competing after all).

The worst case scenario would be

Alissa -- 180
Kimmie -- 179
Sasha -- 160

Now what are they going to do?

MM

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
The best case scenario for USFS would be something like this:

Sasha -- 190
Alissa (or Kimmie) -- 180
Kimmie (or Alissa) and everyone else -- 150

Then it would not raise many eyebrows if the team is Sasha, Alissa and Michelle, with Kimmie in reserve (and still with a very good chance of competing after all).

The worst case scenario would be

Alissa -- 180
Kimmie -- 179
Sasha -- 160

Now what are they going to do?

MM

If that were the case, and Michelle gets the Olympic bye, then the team will be composed of Alissa, Kimmie, and Michelle. Sorry, Sasha, unless you are injured or battling a serious case of the flu (you are recovering, aren't you???), if you finish out of the medals at Nationals, you don't qualify for the Olympic team. Fair is fair, as far as I'm concerned.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
If that were the case, and Michelle gets the Olympic bye, then the team will be composed of Alissa, Kimmie, and Michelle. Sorry, Sasha, unless you are injured or battling a serious case of the flu (you are recovering, aren't you???), if you finish out of the medals at Nationals, you don't qualify for the Olympic team. Fair is fair, as far as I'm concerned.

They should still send Sasha instead of Kimmie using the same criteria they use to determine if IKwan gets bye. It will probably p*** some people off, but let's face it this will probably be debated ad nauseum until the next controversy comes along. And then it STILL will pop up in the off season,LOL.

S

SkateFan4Life

Piel said:
They should still send Sasha instead of Kimmie using the same criteria they use to determine if IKwan gets bye. It will probably p*** some people off, but let's face it this will probably be debated ad nauseum until the next controversy comes along. And then it STILL will pop up in the off season,LOL.

Then why bother having a competition in the first place, if the team has already been pre-selected? Give me a break!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Because of a little thing called the RULES. Only the winner is guaranteed a spot on the Olympic team. My guess the reason for that rule is to give the committee options in case someon who is usually consistently good has a bad skate at nationals and someone who is consistently bad has a dream skate at nationals. They choose who is best likely to medal at the Olympics for the team. It is not a reward for skating well at nationals other than for the national gold medalist.

SkateFan4Life said:
Then why bother having a competition in the first place, if the team has already been pre-selected? Give me a break!
The competition is for the U.S. Championship. They hold one every year. The winner is the U.S. Champion.

Why do they have such a competition? Well, it is the nature of sports to hold championship events.

MM