Usa Today, Michelle's Press Conference | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Usa Today, Michelle's Press Conference

R.D.

Record Breaker
Anyway- any bets that MK will be at Nats ANYWAY? Even if she's not skating there- she might be in the audience (like Angela was last year) or she might be featured on the ESPN/ABC broadcast.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Hmmm...very interesting. I posted the link to the USFSA site with the WD on it.

http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=32500

I'm sad to hear that this is a new injury and not the same one. Well, not that I want her injured, but that she has another – separate injury. Fortunately, she is being treated by the USFSA Team Orthopedic Dr. I believe that this “move” (whatever you want to call it, maybe its not even a "move") will help lend credit to the injury and thus the need for a bye.

A couple of things……

1. I wonder if Kwan intended to see the USFSA team Orthopedic Dr. for treatment because it would validate her injury and thus help her in a request for a bye, or if it was just that he's a great Dr.?

2. When I skated, I was fortunately, spared groin and hip issues, both being very painful and debilitating. Can anyone comment on whether one injury might lead to the other and if one might be a "better" injury to have if you had to have one?

3. This is a very interesting situation in that if Kwan is awarded the bye, she will essentially be going into the Olympics with virtually no COP experience. While many think this is a real handicap, I don’t.

I think that it puts her in just the perfect spot. Kwan is known for putting together clutch performances when the heat is on, and like it or not, the Olympics is the perfect place for clutch performance(s). All Kwan needs to do is skate two great programs and she can win. We’ve seen it before – an “underdog” skating two great performances (Lipinski and Hughes) AND the sometimes unusual things that happen only in Olympic judging. I think if Kwan can get healthy, she’s in a great place.

I do hope Kwan gets the bye.

4. But I have to wonder if Sasha is relieved or sad. Part of me imagines her pumping her fist saying "Yeah!!!" and the other wishing she could outright beat Kwan at nationals. It will be interesting to see if camp Cohen puts any statements out.

5. I think at this point, Cohen is basically being handed Nationals on a plate. Despite her sometines cheated jumps and the controversy about her edging, I think she is far and above any of the other ladies competing for that third spot. It remains to be seen which Sasha comes to Nationals - the confident one with the clean programs, or the Sasha that falls on spins and edges.....

My opinion is that if she can not win nationals with Kwan gone, there will be a lot of questions about her ability to medal in Turino and some questioning of her overall talent. :scratch:

6. As far as all the talk about sponsership ect. It strikes me that Kwan is focused and adult enough to really not care what CBS/NBC/ESPN/Coke ect think. Yeah, they "need" her to sell the games ect, but I don't see Kwan putting any thought into what they want or even what the USFSA wants. It's as if Kwan has the power or whatever you want to call it to basically say "I don't need you, my skating and my celebrity speaks for itself". Furthermore, I do believe that the Kwan/USFSA relationship is mutually benificial, but in reality, Kwan calls the shots. She stayed out of the GP for a while when I'm sure that the USFSA and ISU were begging her to skate and fumming that she wasn't. Kwan helped them out when it suited her and did what she wanted - because she IS MICHELLE KWAN. Whether she is as savvy as I've made her out to be, I don't know. But I think Kwan knows that she could WD from Nat's and that the USFSA would have to send her to Turino...if only because they'de be shooting themselves in the foot it they didn't

Let the games begin!

Darby

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It is possible that Michelle's "guarding" or "favoring" one hip (when her hip injury was at its most painful) might have strained the groin.

I also think that the lack of CoP experience is grossly overrated. Michelle's failure to make the podium at Worlds was not due to problems with CoP experience, in that her planned elements, if all done cleanly, were enough to get her on the podium; the problems were with execution (i.e, she didn't do the planned elements).

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
Im Sad

I so wanted her to skate. I guess she isnt sitting on her laurels as some accuse. I guess Sasha doesnt have to earn the Nats. its a gift. I was hoping that woulnt happen. I want to see Michelle at Olys anyway. Now Nats dont interest me. Let Cohen enjoy her gift.

JanJam

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
Oh man. The excitement factor just plunged. :disapp: Now Cohen basically has this one in the bag. Yawn.

:biggrin: Here comes the splatfest... I wonder if she'll do her Romeo & Juliet "FALLING to her death" ending, ha ha ha! I hope Alyssa wins this one.

JanJam

Rinkside
cianni said:
I so wanted her to skate. I guess she isnt sitting on her laurels as some accuse. I guess Sasha doesnt have to earn the Nats. its a gift. I was hoping that woulnt happen. I want to see Michelle at Olys anyway. Now Nats dont interest me. Let Cohen enjoy her gift.

It would be interesting if Cohen still does NOT win this one. :biggrin:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
JanJam said:
:biggrin: Here comes the splatfest... I wonder if she'll do her Romeo & Juliet "FALLING to her death" ending, ha ha ha! I hope Alyssa wins this one.

Okay, okay, okay....the side of me that is mean says "bring it on!!!, let the splatfest begin!!!!" the other side says, lets just have them all skate well at the Olympics and then we'll see who's best....hmmmm:cool:

In one sense, nats will be borning without kwan, but....there is the suspense about which Sasha shows up and who might take that third place and what about 4th - will she or won't she go......(dunt-dunt-dun-dun.......)

Darby

Linny

Final Flight
Phony

Would those inclined to believe that the injury is phony be more convinced if there were a video tape of Michelle in agony, crying "Why me? Why me?"
Linny

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Just like whoever wins the Olympics wil be the OGM WINNER even though Mao isn't there, whoever wins Nationals will be our NATIONAL CHAMPION no matter who competes. Whoever wins, having the title will be a boost for their confidence going into Turino.

I think that it puts her in just the perfect spot. Kwan is known for putting together clutch performances when the heat is on, and like it or not, the Olympics is the perfect place for clutch performance(s). All Kwan needs to do is skate two great programs and she can win. We’ve seen it before – an “underdog” skating two great performances (Lipinski and Hughes) AND the sometimes unusual things that happen only in Olympic judging. I think if Kwan can get healthy, she’s in a great place.
Being an underdog due to injury is different from just being the underdog, IMO.

My opinion is that if she can not win nationals with Kwan gone, there will be a lot of questions about her ability to medal in Turino and some questioning of her overall talent.
I don't think Sasha's talent has ever been in question. She probably has the most physical talent of any skater. Unless one of the other ladies pulls a Hughes at Nationals I just can't see Sasha losing. IF she does have an off competition, she has an off competition..it happens. Look at the big picture, her competitive history. History shows that she is one of the top two U.S. ladies.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the skate today link has been updated with her teleconference.... just a heads up :clap:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Just like whoever wins the Olympics wil be the OGM WINNER even though Mao isn't there, whoever wins Nationals will be our NATIONAL CHAMPION no matter who competes. Whoever wins, having the title will be a boost for their confidence going into Turino.

I'd like to hope so. But I think the situations are slightly different in a way. Mao or no Mao, the Olympics are the Olympics. But Nationals without Kwan just isn't the same as Nationals with Kwan. Granted, they will continue, but will there always be that doubt that "the winner wouldn't have won if Kwan were there?" One way to deal with this is just to have the skate of your life. Then there would be no question about it.

This is a NATIONAL competition- the Worlds and the Olys are international competitions. But once again, I would like to hope you are right.

I see no one questioning Kwan's injury. In fact, her pulling out of nationals really brings it home. BTW, I think this injury is different from the one that took her out earlier in the season.

I can't help but wonder- if Kwan pushed a little harder earlier on, could she have avoided this? Or would she have just pushed herself into early retirement?

Being an underdog due to injury is different from just being the underdog, IMO.

I don't think Sasha's talent has ever been in question. She probably has the most physical talent of any skater. Unless one of the other ladies pulls a Hughes at Nationals I just can't see Sasha losing. IF she does have an off competition, she has an off competition..it happens. Look at the big picture, her competitive history. History shows that she is one of the top two U.S. ladies.[/QUOTE]

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I would imagine if the petition is passed ( I would be suprised if it isn't), They (USFSA) would probably make her do 4CC as a test event to see if she is healthy and fit enough for the Olympics

I will LMAO is Sasha still doesn't win nationals :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Let's wait for the Announcement. There will 50 different speculations about this including mine.

Joe

My prediction #1 comes true. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now let's wait to see my prediction #2 come true: Michelle becomes part of the ABC commentating team!!!! :rofl:

Oh...and let's not forget prediction #3: Michelle is named to the team (although I would agree with that; we want the strongest team possible).

dwiggin3

Final Flight
SailorGalaxia518 said:
I would imagine if the petition is passed ( I would be suprised if it isn't), They (USFSA) would probably make her do 4CC as a test event to see if she is healthy and fit enough for the Olympics

I will LMAO is Sasha still doesn't win nationals :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hmmm...it was anyone other than Kwan (and Cohen if she was in this position) i'd agree with you about 4C's but in this case, I don't think they will make her go...where is 4C's this year?

RE: LMAO...I hate to say it, but so would i.
Darby

Hip injuries are caused by too much emphasis on the back out edge. Loop jumps are the biggest culprit.

Groin injuries are cause by too much stretch in that area. When one does not practce loop jumps one tends to emphasize practice on salcholws, half loops, and falling leaves, which are groin jumps.

I think in trying to save her hip, she went overboard with back inside edges.

Oh well, I don't think she is in fine condition. When you think about it when was the last full practice Kwan has had?

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Anyway- any bets that MK will be at Nats ANYWAY? Even if she's not skating there- she might be in the audience (like Angela was last year) or she might be featured on the ESPN/ABC broadcast.
She said today she will be watching it on TV, cheering for her friends who are skating.

This withdrawl is no real surprise for me (although I didn't count on the new injury), I really hate that it is now reality. I am very sad for Michelle. I can not even imagine her disappointment and frustration.

heyang

Record Breaker
Now Nationals seem somewhat anticlimatic for me. I was worried because a friend is visiting that same weekend and I would have to avoid the news & etc until I could watch my TiVo. I was already getting myself wound up about Sasha vs Michelle vs if Michelle is healthy enough. Now, I just have to worry about being shocked if someone does beat Sasha before I can get to my TiVo - much less tension involved.

kyla2

Final Flight
Michelle vs. Sasha

I don't think Michelle would have won Nationals this year. I firmly believe she was more injured then we knew. Marshalls was a good indication of where she was at health wise and competitively, and she wasn't even close to being competitive with Sasha. I will not be surprised if she is unable to compete at the Olympics either. It sure as h---l won't be the same without her if she doesn't make it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Take a look at this article (if it hasn't already been posted elsewhere):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/olympics/2006/01/04/bc.fig.usskating.kwan.ap/index.html

Truly sad, but right now she really has no choice. She's been reduced to begging for a chance to be on the OLY team. I also agree that the injury is worse than we hear. She sounds optimistic but she may not even make it to the Olys. And if that happens, I'm sorry to speculate that injury may force her to an early retirement. Maybe the posters with the doom and gloom forecast might have been onto something after all.