Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle's Proof-of-Recovery Skate, Jan 16

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
This is going to be tricky. Kwan can't jump again until 13 January. USFS said it was going to announce the team on 14 January. 16 January is the deadline for the USFS medical people to certify a skater's health, if the skater has requested a bye.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
So all she has to do is prove that she's fit enough to give interviews & do endoresements????!!!!!

:clap: you are hilarious!:clap:

OFF TOPIC: will you please get a job with ABC/ESPN and do commentary?!

sk8addict

On the Ice
Judges

Piel said:
I think the U.S.F.S.A. probably makes up the criteria as they go along to get the team they want.
You are right & in the past they have done it just by controlling the judging. They will really love not having to deal with the middlemen.:laugh: :laugh:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
hockeyfan228 said:
This is going to be tricky. Kwan can't jump again until 13 January. USFS said it was going to announce the team on 14 January. 16 January is the deadline for the USFS medical people to certify a skater's health, if the skater has requested a bye.

Are you sure? I thought that the Jan 16 date was to get a medical statement, not that she was healthy as of that date, but that she would be healthy as of Olys. I also thought that the USFSA didn't have to give the final list of names for Olys until
Jan 30, but I am unsure if this would be the final team or if this would include alternates (so Michelle could withdraw after Jan 30 and let the alternate go).

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
tripleflutz said:
is a bye fair?
In 91, Jill Trenary asked for a bye and in 96, Nicole Bobek asked for a bye, both times because of a slow recovery from an injury, and both times the answer was no.
Good point.
tripleflutz said:
.... I don't want her to go out with a very poor performance in front of the whole world, that would be really sad. So if she can skate then thats one thing, but if she's not able to perform at an acceptable level, then its better if they don't send her to Turino.
I completely agree. What a sad way to see her eligible career end. (unless, of course, she's planning to stay in until Vancouver!)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Are you sure? I thought that the Jan 16 date was to get a medical statement, not that she was healthy as of that date, but that she would be healthy as of Olys. I also thought that the USFSA didn't have to give the final list of names for Olys until
Jan 30, but I am unsure if this would be the final team or if this would include alternates (so Michelle could withdraw after Jan 30 and let the alternate go).
They don't have to give the final list until 30 January, but they said in the .pdf file that they intend to name the team on the 14th. She doesn't have to be healthy as of medical exam, but it's hard to imagine that they could say that she'll be healthy and competitive a little over a month later, if she has only been jumping for two days when the determination is made. A groin injury is one of the trickier injuries to gauge.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I don't think Michelle has anything to be "sad" about, career-wise. Many athletes keep competing that "one last time", even perhaps past their prime....ex. Brian Boitano, Kurt Browning......and still maintain dignity with the knowledge that they had one incredible run......

As for another skater getting "bumped" off the Oly team......they probably wouldn't be on the team even if Michelle competed....her position as one of the "top three" pretty much a lock. This way, some lucky gal gets a bronze medal she wouldn't have other wise gotten...............;) 42

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
hrmsk8ngnutt said:
IIRC, Nancy Kerrigan and Jenni Meno/Todd Sand had to prove they could skate before officially being named to the Olympic team in 94 and 98, respectively. So, it's not unusual that Michelle would have to do the same.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Yep, they did. And Michelle should have to prove she's ready. But if the date is January 16 (hmm, happens to be my birthday :biggrin:) I don't see how she could be ready then when Nationals was basically two days before that and she couldn't skate then. People might question why she could be fit on the 16th, but not on the 12th-14th. We'll see how it all plays out. I'm not totally surprised she withdrew, but I am surprised that's it's a new injury. And when she says she hadn't jumped at all since December 17 (did I read that correctly), it makes me wonder about her fitness level.

I didn't know that Jill Trenary petitioned in 1991. I knew she was injured, but I wasn't aware of a petiton. Funny, that was the year Kristi, Tonya and Nancy swept the Worlds podium without Jill there.

heyang

Record Breaker
Many feel that Bobek didn't get the 'by' because she toured with Nutcracker on Ice while injured. The USFSA was essentially telling her that she should've placed her health and USFSA career over a tour.

Don't forget, Todd also got a by in 1992 based upon his past accomplishments.

I'm sure Michelle will evalulate what is best for herself and team USA. I don't think that she'll go if she doesn't think that she can compete well. I do feel for the bronze medalist since it would be wisest for them to continue training until the very last moment in case MK's body becomes re-injured (and assuming she does get the 'by')

swannanoa54

On the Ice
is a bye fair?
....I'm not real comfortable with a bye, because it implies that Michelle owned a spot all along and that Nats was meaningless for her. Now is that fair to those who will compete at Nats? In 91, Jill Trenary asked for a bye and in 96, Nicole Bobek asked for a bye, both times because of a slow recovery from an injury, and both times the answer was no.

Let's see, how could a "bye" imply that "Nats was meaningless for her"? There are "byes" in the majority of sports for injuries, etc. I don't think Nicole Bobek is a fair comparison because despite being "injured", she still skated in the Nutcracker on Ice. That, to me, is a whole different horse of a really strange color.

And Jill was a toss up although I had hoped she would be on the team, but at least she didn't go out touring while she was injured.

Personally, I don't see the problem with requesting a "bye" based on an injury at all, for anyone. And we do want to send the best we have. How do we know Kwan won't be the best in Torino and win gold? Ok, so I can still hope, ya know. I just don't see how getting a "bye" based on medical reasons, ie injury, illness, is such an unfair or wrong thing.

sk8addict

On the Ice
constant injury

realistic51 said:
Let's see, how could a "bye" imply that "Nats was meaningless for her"? There are "byes" in the majority of sports for injuries, etc. I don't think Nicole Bobek is a fair comparison because despite being "injured", she still skated in the Nutcracker on Ice. That, to me, is a whole different horse of a really strange color.

And Jill was a toss up although I had hoped she would be on the team, but at least she didn't go out touring while she was injured.

Personally, I don't see the problem with requesting a "bye" based on an injury at all, for anyone. And we do want to send the best we have. How do we know Kwan won't be the best in Torino and win gold? Ok, so I can still hope, ya know. I just don't see how getting a "bye" based on medical reasons, ie injury, illness, is such an unfair or wrong thing.
Don't you think there is a problem being injured for the entire SEASON?? AND she did skate at Marshall's which I would compare to Nutcracker on ice. $50,000...how much was Bobek paid?Unfortunately I didn't get to see Bobeck but I would bet she didn't land any tripple top loops going forward. Waiting to many years to do difficulty again is what I'd bet the problem is. Riding on the 6'Os Michelle was doing more techical in 1998.

Last edited:

donnar0226

Rinkside
show 42 said:
I don't think Michelle has anything to be "sad" about, career-wise. Many athletes keep competing that "one last time", even perhaps past their prime....ex. Brian Boitano, Kurt Browning......

I wouldn't have said Browning was past his prime--he retired in 94 after his disappointing Olympics (bet he wishes COP was in place then!), but was the 93 World Champion, and I believe silver at 95 Worlds--not exactly past his prime!

R.D.

Record Breaker
One also has to look relatively at the situation.

Kwan is still one of the top skaters. But the real question behind whether to give her a bye or not is this: Can an injured Kwan, or an OK Kwan, have a better chance to place high and get a medal than whoever the alternate would be? The results of the US Ladies in the GP don't sound too promising. Can Kwan pull better scores than they can? That's what the USFS has to think about.

sk8addict

On the Ice
last year

Red Dog said:

Kwan is still one of the top skaters. But the real question behind whether to give her a bye or not is this: Can an injured Kwan, or an OK Kwan, have a better chance to place high and get a medal than whoever the alternate would be? The results of the US Ladies in the GP don't sound too promising. Can Kwan pull better scores than they can? That's what the USFS has to think about.
She was one of the top skaters last year. We don't know that she can skate a competition at all this year. Marshall's wasn't really a real competion & you saw how she skated. Tod Eldredge stayed around longer than he should have & some young skater who could have gotten someOlympic experience didn't. USFSA kept 6.0 around longer than they should. What ever happened to going out on top & gracefully.

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Red Dog said:

All they need to do is look at the Worlds 2005 results. Even with few recent competitions behind her and her first outing under COP with non-COP-friendly programs (and a fall even in the LP), she still managed to place third in both the SP and LP. Would any other American skater (including Cohen) have been able to pull off that kind of feat?

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
That's why I would use 4CC as a test run.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
That's why I would use 4CC as a test run.

Unfortunately, Four Continents coincides with the deadline for naming the U.S. OLY team (1/30), so that's out of the question.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
curious said:
was the marshall joke televised? she doesn't have to prove a thing cause she is da kween lol!:biggrin:

That was a popularity win not a win based on her present skating abilities - formula won't work at the Olympics.

Even the best have to prove they are healthy and ready.

ladybug

On the Ice
Remember Elvis in 98. He didn't do so bad even with his injury. Michelle said if she wasn't 100% she would pull her own self out of the Olympics even if the powers that be said she was okay.

Michelle is going to the Olympics to win not for the Olympic experience. If she doesn't think she can win, you won't see her there.JMO

Ladybug